Position Title :Reconstruction Engineer
Duty Station :Chuuk, Micronesia, Federated States of
Classification :Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment :Special short-term graded, nine months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date :As soon as possible
Closing Date :07 May 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leadingUN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental andnon-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM atwww.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:Antigua and Barbuda; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Djibouti; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia;Libya; Marshall Islands; Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Between February 22-25 in 2019, Typhoon Wutip crossed directly over Chuuk State and increased in strength as it continued across Yap State in the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM). Most of the affected area is in the outer islands of Chuuk and Yap.
As USAID’s implementing partner, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) will support the local governments with relief & reconstruction of public facilities and housing reconstruction.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Party and the direct supervision of the Reconstruction Manager (RM) in Pohnpei, Federated States of Micronesia, the successful candidate will be responsible for coordination with a regional team of Field Engineers (FE) implementing and supervising reconstruction projects in Chuuk and Yap for both public infrastructure and housing reconstruction.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist the Programme Management Team (mainly the Head of Engineering Unit, RM and Chief of Party) and contribute to the development of general construction guidelines and implementation strategies (including complex logistics planning) to facilitate the timely and quality implementation of the project by utilizing and applying professional skills and knowledge in construction project implementation.
- Provide technical guidance and coordinate with the team of FEs, Office Engineer and Draftsman/Architect to facilitate the proper and efficient preparation of the Detailed Engineering Document (DED) by closely monitoring and reviewing prepared documentation.
- Coordinate a team of FEs to facilitate quality completion on time and within budget of reconstruction projects by utilizing skills and practical experience in construction project management.
- Provide support to the FE or implementing partners to get required supplies, materials and equipment to the field in time and efficiently by collecting requirements, timely informing the programme management, planning and coordinating with logistics and transportation units.
- Draft and compile regular reports and updates from the field on various aspects of project implementation in order to inform programme management on current challenges and requirements by undertaking regular travel to remote islands and collecting relevant information from the field engineers.
- Monitor and track progress of the works by utilizing and maintaining the automated work schedule system for tracking progress and status updates of ongoing and completed works to contribute to ensuring that the schedules remain accurate and current.
- Provide adequate support to the team in project close out, final inspection and handover of completed projects by providing solutions and clarification to questions on scope of work changes and requirements for time delay due to such changes to ensure proper and completed documentation for each of the sub-projects.
- Use AutoCAD (if available) in order to review drawings submitted by the FE and Office Architect and provide comments if necessary. Update and incorporate changes to buildings on “as-built” drawings as necessary.
- Comply with IOM’s policies and procedures including prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse and promotion of a respectful work environment in order to contribute to a healthy workplace.
- Undertake duty travel either in Chuuk or Yap and within the region as directed.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Civil Engineering, Architecture or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience (construction management or construction team leader); or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience in practical construction or engineering field;
• Certification as a licensed professional engineer.
• Experience in the field of construction engineering and contract management;
• Experience in the usage of AutoCad, office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and knowledge of spreadsheet and data analysis;
• Familiarity with camping/backpacking in remote, hardship and/or rustic locations for longer periods of time (1-2 weeks); and
• Experience working with a non-governmental organization and/or international organization an advantage.
• Strong swimming skills; and
• Ability to tolerate traveling on small aircraft or long-distance boat travel (1-2 days) on small and medium-sized vessels.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of any Chuukese languages, French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values– all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
•Inclusion and respect for diversity:respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
•Integrity and transparency:maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
•Professionalism:demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies– behavioural indicators level 2
•Teamwork:develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
•Delivering results:produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
•Managing and sharing knowledge:continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
•Accountability:takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
•Communication:encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies– behavioural indicators level 2
•Leadership:provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
•Empowering others & building trust:creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
•Strategic thinking and vision:works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 07 May 2020 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to:www.iom.int/recruitment
From 24.04.2020 to 07.05.2020
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2020 96 Reconstruction Engineer (P2) Chuuk, Micronesia (56415458) Released
Posting: Posting NC56415459 (56415459) Released