Recruitment of a National Consultant Specialist in Information and Communication Technology to lead the implementation of activities related to this component.
File reference:159 / IC / CRIO / 2019
Deadline for receipt of tenders:01 April 2019
Title of the mission: To lead the implementation of activities related to this component.
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Level of position and experience: National
Duration of the mission 130 days spread over 12 months
Type and Place of assignment:Antananarivo, with possible travel in the country
Please send your duly signed proposals (technical and financial proposals) to the e-mail addressOffres.email@example.com mention of the reference and title of the file or to the address below:
United Nations Development Program
House United Nations,
Dr Rasseta Street, Majunga Road
Your proposal must be receivedno later than01 April 2019 at 15:00, Antananarivo time.
Feel free to write firstname.lastname@example.org any additional information.
The feminine candidacies are deeply encouraged.
The Terms of Reference are attached as Appendix 01 of this notice for more details on the assignment.
They mainly describe the context of the mission, the responsibilities assigned to the mission, the products expected from the mission and the profile of the candidates sought.
Background and Rationale
In order to better meet the Malagasy government’s commitments to the Rio conventions, the Malagasy government has received funding from the Global Environment Facility (GEF) for the implementation of the project entitled “Strengthening National Capacity for Respect global environmental obligations in the context of sustainable development priorities “. This project, which is implemented by the United Nations Development Program (UNDP), aims to help Madagascar achieve and maintain the obligations arising from the three Rio Conventions, while the immediate objective of this project is to strengthen a targeted set of national capabilities to deliver and sustain global environmental outcomes as part of sustainable development priorities. This will be achieved through five components that will develop systemic, institutional and individual capacities in Madagascar. These components are:
- A national sustainable development strategy / plan fully incorporates the obligations of the Rio Convention;
- Mobilization of financial resources is more sustainable;
- An Environmental Management Information System is established to improve monitoring and assessment of global environmental impacts and trends at the national level;
- Enhanced institutional structures and mechanisms for integrating and enforcing compliance with the Rio Conventions in sectoral and regional development planning frameworks;
- Awareness and public awareness of the integration of the Rio Convention.
- These components correspond to the following results:
- A transformative but realistic national strategy or plan for Madagascar to pursue ecologically sound and sustainable development has been formulated through a highly consultative process;
- Mobilizing the necessary financial resources to carry out and perpetuate actions aimed at meeting the common obligations and priorities of the Rio Conventions and sustainable development will be considerably strengthened;
- An Environmental Management Information System will have been put in place to improve the monitoring and evaluation of global environmental impacts;
- Targeted institutional structures and mechanisms will have been strengthened to effectively integrate the compliance of sectoral and regional development frameworks with the Rio Convention;
- Targeted training and awareness will have led to a better understanding of good practices for delivering and sustaining global environmental outcomes in the context of sustainable development.
As part of the implementation of the third component, the project recruits an Information and Communication Technology Specialist to lead the implementation of activities related to this component.
Purpose of the mission
Under the supervision of the Project Coordinator and in collaboration with the project team, the Information and Communication Technology Specialist will have as main mission the implementation of the information system for the management of the project. environment (SIGE) with its operationalization and monitoring of the system and project. He / she will be called upon to work closely with the project team, the structures in charge of Planning, monitoring, evaluation, information management, knowledge management and database management of the MEEF. and with the various stakeholders in the environment and development sector in the country.
The main objective of this position is to help the project to achieve all the results of component number 3 of the project.
The following specific objectives of this post assigned by the project to this component:
- Set up / improve the monitoring and information system;
- Ensure the implementation of the information system for environmental management and monitoring of the project;
- Ensure mobilization of the technical commission SIGE;
- Conduct situation analysis of environment and development databases in Madagascar
- Ensure knowledge management in the project
Expected results :
- A review of existing databases and environmental information systems is carried out on all aspects
- A census and analysis of environmental indicators and sustainable development is carried out
- Theenvironmental indicators and sustainable development are defined to monitor and evaluate the implementation of the Rio conventions and ODD;
- An improved methodology for data collection is developed and tested;
- An environmental information monitoring plan is established and put in place;
- The structuring and operationalization of the Information System for the Management of the Environment is well elaborated and concerted with the concerned parties.
- Material requirements are determined and the EMIS is put online and operational
- At least one EMIS implementation test is performed and reported
- Technical expertise in the implementation, monitoring and maintenance of the EMIS is applied;
- Capacity enhancements for key user entities are assured;
- Best practices in EIA and SEA are identified and capitalized;
- The whole project is followed;
- The leader of the thematic group is insured;
- An operational plan for the working group is developed;
- Monthly progress reports referring to the initial planning and achievement of the expected results cited above
- The minutes of each meeting with the technical committee and report of capacity building carried out
- Terms of reference for training and benefit requirements for the component
- A start-up report including the capitalization of the first analysis of the documents and consultation and the detailed methodology to lead the mission
- A report on analyzes of existing information management systems in the country and internationally and analyzes of databases and environmental indicators
- A report including: the definitions of environmental and sustainable development indicators to monitor and evaluate the achievement of the Rio Conventions and SDGs, the collaborative proposal for the structuring of the EMIS with determination of equipment and material requirements
- Detailed strategy with implementation plan for the implementation and operationalization of the Information System for Environmental Management with detailed practical guide of capacity building for EMIS with the corresponding Terms of Reference.
- Final mandate implementation report including a consolidated and improved set of previous reports reporting implementation and implementation testing of EMIS
Each deliverable must be validated by a technical committee to be put in place with the MEEF before continuing the next step
Chronogramof the Mission / Duration of the mission
The mission will last 130 days worked over 12 months. The mission will be on a validated quarterly basis.
Skills and qualifications required
- At least a master’s degree in information technology, including network analysis, system administration, security and information protection;
- Advanced skills in IT auditing, database administration and web administration;
- At least 03 years of experience in similar work;
- At least 03 years of experience in project / program monitoring and evaluation;
- Experiences in the creation and use of database management platform;
- At least 03 years of experience in the environment and sustainable development sector
- Proven experience in knowledge management;
- Advanced skills in GIS;
- Data modeling skills
- Ability to lead and mobilize a multidisciplinary team;
- Good knowledge of the Rio Conventions would be an asset.
Functional skills :
- Having the team spirit
- Experience in conducting a meeting or workshop
- Relevant experiences on capacity building
- Excellent level of oral and written French, a very good level of English would be an asset
- Good sense of planning and organization
- Excellent analytical and writing skills
- Sensitive to the consideration of gender in the work
- Demonstrate integrity by conforming to the values and moral standards of the United Nations,
- Foster the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP,
- Demonstrate ability to practice in an environment that does not take into account cultural differences, gender, religion, race, nationality, and sensitivity
- Demonstrate rigor in the work, high availability, ability to work in a team and a spirit of initiative developed.