Recruitment of a National Legal Consultant for the evaluation of national policies and legal instruments in relation to the 3 Rio Conventions.
File reference:169 / IC / CRIO / 2019
Deadline for receipt of tenders:01 April 2019
Title of the mission: Evaluation of national policies and legal instruments in relation to the 3 Rio Conventions.
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Level of position and experience: National
Duration of the mission 50 days spread over 03 months
Type and Location:Antananarivo
Please send your duly signed proposals (technical and financial proposals) to the e-mail addressOffres.firstname.lastname@example.org mention of the reference and title of the file or to the address below:
United Nations Development Program
House United Nations,
Dr Rasseta Street, Majunga Road
Your proposal must be receivedno later than01 April 2019 at 15:00, Antananarivo time.
Feel free to write email@example.com any additional information.
The feminine candidacies are deeply encouraged.
The Terms of Reference are attached as Appendix 01 of this notice for more details on the assignment.
They mainly describe the context of the mission, the responsibilities assigned to the mission, the products expected from the mission and the profile of the candidates sought.
Background and Objective
With a view to better respecting the commitments of the Malagasy Government in relation to the Rio conventions, the Government of the Republic of Madagascar has received funding from the Global Environmental Facility (GEF) for the implementation of the project entitled “Strengthening national capacities for meeting global environmental obligations in the context of sustainable development priorities “. This project, which is implemented in partnership with the United Nations Development Program (UNDP), aims to help the Malagasy government achieve and maintain the benefits of the 03 Rio Conventions. The immediate objective of this project is to strengthen a targeted set of national capacities to deliver and sustain global environmental outcomes as part of sustainable development priorities. This will be achieved by five components that will develop systemic, institutional and individual capacities in Madagascar. These components are:
- A roadmap for integrating the obligations of the Rio Conventions into the National Sustainable Development Strategy / Plan is developed;
- Mobilization of financial resources is more sustainable;
- An Environmental Management Information System is established to improve monitoring and assessment of global environmental impacts and trends at the national level;
- Institutional Structures and Mechanisms are strengthened for the integration and application of compliance with the Rio Conventions into sectoral and regional development planning frameworks;
- The target audience is aware and sensitive to the integration of the Rio Conventions into its activities.
These components correspond to the following results:
- A roadmap for the implementation of the recommendations on improving the legal framework on the integration of the Rio obligations and their inclusion in the Sustainable Development Strategy / Plan is formulated in a highly consultative manner. ;
- Mobilizing the necessary financial resources to carry out and perpetuate actions aimed at meeting the common obligations and priorities of the Rio Conventions and sustainable development will be considerably strengthened;
- An Environmental Management Information System will have been put in place to improve the monitoring and evaluation of global environmental impacts;
- Targeted institutional structures and mechanisms will have been strengthened to effectively integrate the compliance of sectoral and regional development frameworks with the Rio Convention;
- Targeted training and awareness will have led to a better understanding of good practices for delivering and sustaining global environmental outcomes in the context of sustainable development.
As part of the implementation of the first component, the project is recruiting a consultant to evaluate national policies / strategies and legal instruments, including case law and Dina, in relation to the integration of the obligations of the three Rio conventions in these areas. tools:
- Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD);
- United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC);
- United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD);
The main task of the consultant is to conduct analyzes of the political, legislative and regulatory frameworks related to environmental governance, and this, in relation to the obligations provided by the three conventions mentioned above which are ratified by Madagascar. The mission is to structure the activities to insert the obligations contained in the Rio Conventions into the National Sustainable Development Plan / Strategy.
The analyzes of these tools should identify the strengths and weaknesses of the national implementation of the obligations of the Rio Conventions. Studies will be conducted on national and sectoral policies as well as territorial planning and strategies. The consultant will work closely with the project’s policy and legal specialist and other thematic specialists.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the project coordinator, the consultant will perform the following tasks:
- To analyze the synergies between the provisions of the three Rio Conventions and to study the national implementation of these treaties through the Policies, Strategies, laws and regulations, including the Dina and case law;
- Translate the obligations of the three Rio Conventions into nationally programmable activities;
- Evaluate existing national policies and legal instruments in relation to the three Rio Conventions;
- Analyze the sectoral and territorial planning processes in relation to the integration of the provisions of the three Rio Conventions as well as the estimates of the national budget allocated to activities related to the three conventions.
- Determine the level of implementation of the strategies and activities provided for by these policies and instruments;
- Identify internal and external constraints, gaps, inconsistencies in these policies / strategies and legal instruments including Dina and case law;
- Assess internal and external linkages, gaps and inconsistencies among different policies, strategies and legal instruments and the three Rio Conventions and other relevant Multilateral Environmental Agreements (MEAs);
- Define customary practices and national institutions that are considered relevant for the implementation of the obligations under the three conventions.
- Reconcile the extent to which different policies and legal instruments oppose each other;
- Identify strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, gaps and threats in aligning the objectives pursued in the three conventions with the results achieved;
- Identify in existing legislation provisions that have a direct impact on the integration of Rio Convention obligations into sectoral policies and plans;
- Propose logical recommendations with a view to highlighting the need to bring national legislation into line with the provisions of the three Rio Conventions;
- Identify best practices for integrating global environmental data and information into sectoral development plans;
- Develop a roadmap of proposed recommendations for practical implementation of the provisions of the Rio Conventions in national legal standards and Strategies / Policies;
- Hold and lead focus group meetings, one-on-one stakeholder consultations Identify guidance materials, tools and methodological approaches that could be used to inform the roadmap to further inform focus on strengthening the links between the PND (National Development Plan) and global environmental obligations;
- Report on the collection and analysis of policies and strategies related to environmental governance;
- Report on the collection and analysis of legislative and regulatory frameworks, including Dina and case law, in relation to the obligations of the three Rio Conventions
- Definitions of objectives and programmable activities reflecting the obligations of the Rio Conventions in legal norms, sectoral policies and regional development plans;
- Report on recommendations from analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of legal standards and policy instruments.
- Strategy Paper on the Integration of the Rio Convention Obligations into Regional and Sectoral Development Policies and Plans;
- Report analyzing legislative frameworks and legal instruments in relation to compliance with Rio’s obligations
- Roadmap for the implementation of the recommendations on improving the legal framework on the integration of the Rio obligations and their inclusion in the Sustainable Development Strategy / Plan
All deliverables will be provided in both physical and electronic versions and will be submitted for bid submission. Validation will be done by the Project Management Unit with a committee set up with the MEEF.
Chronogram of the Mission / Duration of the mission
The work will take place over 50 days spread over 3 months.
Functional skills ;
The consultant must have the following qualities.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment;
- Good knowledge of the context and the law of sustainable development, in particular the environmental impact study and the Corporate Social Responsibility;
- Strong ability to coordinate multidisciplinary work
- Rigor in the work, high availability, ability to work in a team and developed initiative;
- Ability to work on pressure and meet deadlines.
|Education:||ConsultantSpecialist in evaluations with experience on the 3 Rio conventions:Master degree in law, development policy.|
|Experience:||The consultant must have the following experiences:|
- At least 5 years of experience in conducting studies and similar political and legal assessments;
- 5 years of experience in the analysis, development and application of policies and legal standards related to environmental management specifically in relation to the 3 Rio conventions and / or environmental governance;
- Experiences in the analysis of legal texts, international contracts, corporate social responsibility;
- Strong knowledge of international conventions, including the Rio Conventions for Sustainable Development and related agreements
- Experiences in strengthening public institutions;
- Experiences in Strategic Environmental Assessment would be an asset
- At least five (5) years of experience in communication, participatory workshop facilitation and reporting during inclusive broad stakeholder consultations
- Perfect command of the French language both orally and in writing, with strong writing skills
- Good mastery of Malagasy
- Very good level of English