Micro Enterprises Support Programme Trust (MESPT), was established in 2002 by the Government of Kenya and European Union. EU later relinquished their position to the Royal Danish Embassy in Kenya, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark (DANIDA) through a Trust Deed of 2013.
The Trust is a development organization with a purpose to grow small holder farmers and Agri SME’s to increase productivity, income and enhance competitiveness for job creation especially for youth and women. This is achieved through capacity building which includes skills development, technical support, business advisory, financial and market linkages.
Our focus is to facilitate support and provision of integrated financial and business development services for small holder farmers and Agri SME’s in Kenya. This is aimed at enabling beneficiaries to access finance, increase agricultural productivity, agro-processing, and access markets/ trade opportunities. For over a decade, MESPT has partnered with development agencies, donors, and investors to build the capacity of the business services sector and the agricultural sector in Kenya through our unique tripartite business model that links Farmers, Agri- SMEs, and Financial Institutions – creating linkages along value chains.
We pride ourselves for successfully implementing 12 agriculture based Programmes that have seen us facilitate creation of 70,000 decent jobs at various levels of the agriculture market systems. We have also cumulatively disbursed KES 6.4 billion to financial institutions and over 250,000 end users have accessed the finance. **
ABOUT AGRIFI FOOD SAFETY PROGRAMME
The AgriFI Food Safety Programme is an EU funded Programme whose focus is on Food Safety (Sanitary & Phyto-sanitary Standards), Plant and Animal Health. The programme’s interventions aim at addressing the food safety concerns for both domestic and international market especially in Dairy, Aquaculture and Horticulture (Beans, Mango and Avocado) value chains. The – programme’s overall budget is EUR 7 million and is running for a period of 6 years from 2018 to 2023.
MESPT is implementing the programme in 13 counties focusing on result areas II and III of the programme. Result area II of the project seeks to strengthen the capacities of actors along selected value chains through the Agricultural Technical and Vocational Education Training (ATVET) system approach. Activities under the result area inter alia include supporting upgrading, development, and upscaling of agricultural value chain-based training curriculums under the ATVETs.
Under result area III the project seeks to increase the capacity of the private sector and the selected counties to implement and enforce standards on animal health, food safety and plant health. Activities under the result area will include translation of sanitary and phytosanitary regulations for value-chains supported under result area II into user-friendly sector guidelines tools and practices for use by the sector; and training private and public sector on sanitary and phytosanitary regulations (SPS) and food and animal safety requirements and supporting the development of quality management systems. Counties will also be supported in testing, surveillance, and enforcement of SPS regulations.
Broadly the project will strengthen the capacities of value chain actors, bolstering commercial farming and improving food security. The project approach is participatory and comprises various interrelated methodologies: market-driven approach, competitive selection of counties/beneficiaries, training of trainers (Tot’s), blended learning methodology and use of incentives.
For further information kindly visit our website www.mespt.org**
As part of its development programme, MESPT is seeking to engage a highly committed, results-oriented, self-driven professionals with excellent project management skills to ensure the successful delivery of the programme towards achieving its objectives and targets.
Project Officer (AgriFI Programme) – 2 Positions
Position Reports to:
AgriFI Programme Manager
Kakamega & Makueni
25 days annual leave, Medical Insurance, 20% Gratuity and 7.5% leave allowance
3 Month probation period, 3 years fixed contract and 1-month notice period
The Project Officer will work closely with target County Governments and Agricultural Training Centers and will be responsible for work planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of all the project activities. This position requires a highly committed and results-orientated person with good coordination and communication skills.
· Promote functional collaboration with County Governments, Central Competent Authorities, and project/development stakeholders to strengthen Horticulture & Dairy Value Chains
· Take the lead in operationalizing the strategies as defined by AgriFI for promoting Horticulture & Dairy Value Chains in the priority Counties
· Contribute to formulating strategies to improve the agricultural productivity of target farmer cooperatives/groups
· Act as a subject matter expert in assigned projects in Collaboration with Central Competent Authorities
· Facilitate integration of youth and women in the programme interventions
· Give technical input in the specific content of the curricula modules, content of training, training methods and teaching aids during Value Chain Actors training
· Work closely with farmers’ associations in the priority Counties to identify opportunities, risks, and approaches for the AgriFI programme
· Support the delivery of the reviewed Horticulture & Dairy curricula to be used for Competence Based Education and Training (CBET)at each of the 13 ATVETs of focus
· Identify and review internally produced content and research on new and innovative Horticulture & Dairy curricula best practices to be incorporated in the AgriFI Programme
· Analyze data for the purpose of improving the ATVETs training programme
· Facilitate linking and integration of the AgriFI ATVET Model in the development of Horticulture & Dairy Value Chains
· Coordinate and ensure requisite site visits for key programme stakeholders are carried out to track progress of financial and programmatic implementation
Learning, Monitoring, Evaluation and Knowledge Management.
· Participate in programme planning & review and programme co-ordination meetings
· Support the development of the AgriFI Horticulture and Dairy value chain data base
· Facilitate strengthening of linkages and coordination between Central Competent Authorities(CCAs) and County Governments for data collection coherence
· Participate in preparation of activity, monthly, quarterly, biannual and annual programmatic and financial reports and share with key stakeholders as appropriate
· Share information and lessons learnt with partners and other programme staff
Programme Strategy & Team Support
· Contribute to the formulation and review of AgriFI programme strategies and implementation models
· Work with other MESPT staff to identify and develop new ideas and strategic opportunities that contribute to the growth of the organization
· In liaison with the Programme Manager represent the programme at county and national government levels and other relevant events
Any other duties as assigned by the Supervisor from time to time
· Head of Programmes
· MEAL Manager
· Programme Accountant
· ICT Officers
· Communication Officer
· Programme Assistant
· Partner organizations & Central Competent Authorities
· Stakeholders including county government, ATVET’s, research institutions, internal auditors, donors, and private companies
Knowledge, Experience and Skills
· A minimum of 5 years relevant working experience, with at least 3 years’ experience gained in the field of Agricultural Value Chains with a bias to Agricultural Technical and Vocational Education and Training (ATVET) model, Horticulture and Dairy development projects with regard to support of farmer groups and/or cooperatives.
· Knowledge & training on sanitary and phytosanitary standards.
· Experience in curriculum development will be an added advantage.
· Previous working experience in donor-funded programmes is desirable.
· An understanding of project cycle management approaches and tools – including participatory capacity assessment and planning, project appraisal, monitoring and evaluation and partners’ capacity building,
· Experience in community-based programming
· Experience in networking among development partners and government departments
· Ability to work in partnership with county governments and the private sector: capable of ensuring best practice and dealing with performance issues
· Ability and resilience to cope with multiple internal and external demands
· High level skills and experience in training & capacity building
· Excellent communication and report writing skills.
· Highly organized individual in planning activities and tracking activity implementation
· Willingness to travel and interact effectively with stakeholders.
· A minimum of bachelor’s degree in Horticulture/Agronomy, Agricultural Education and Extension, Animal Production/ Veterinary Sciences, Food Sciences or Related Field
· Certification in Project Management will be an added advantage
· Excellent computer skills especially with MS Word and Excel and presentation related packages
· Holds self-accountable to deliver on their responsibilities
· Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves
· Future orientated, thinks strategically
· Develops new and innovative solutions
· Willing to take disciplined risks
· Has integrity
· Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, external partners, and stakeholders
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available and MESPT reserves the right to make necessary changes.
How to apply
Qualified and interested candidates should send their application letters indicating their current/last remuneration, detailed CV with email address, daytime telephone contacts, names, and email contacts of 3 professional referees, 2 must have supervised you at some point, with one being your most recent supervisor to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting Job Reference and Job Title in the subject line.
The candidate must legally be eligible to work full time in Kenya.
Please do not send certificates at this stage.
Deadline for applications is 30th January 2021.
MESPT is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and committed to Gender Equity and Diversity.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.