The Norwegian Red Cross is part of the Red Cross Red Crescent (RCRC) Movement, the world’s largest humanitarian network with millions of volunteers and staff operating in 190 countries. Our mission is to alleviate human suffering, protect life and health, and uphold human dignity especially during armed conflicts and other emergencies. To achieve this, we follow the seven humanitarian principles; Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary service, Unity and Universality.
In the Middle East and North Africa (MENA), Norwegian Red Cross aims to provide access to quality healthcare, basic assistance and water and sanitation services for those displaced, returnee and vulnerable host communities affected by armed conflict.
Norwegian Red Cross contributes to build the capacity of National societies in MENA as well as supporting their programs in health in emergency. Focus is placed on first aid and primary health care especially where the concerned governments are not able to fulfil the needs resulting of conflict or displacement. Community based health programmes focus on building the community preparedness and capacities building to mitigate trauma, sudden events and save lives.
Regional Health Delegate in MENA
The purpose of the Regional Health Delegate is to support the design, implementation and monitoring of community-based, emergency and primary health projects, as required in Iraq, Lebanon, Libya, Syria, Turkey and Yemen. Projects and technical support will be informed by Norwegian Red Cross health framework and results framework and other applicable standards.
Two strategic objectives for the position:
- Ensure that humanitarian projects reflect established technical standards and advice on the implementation of those standards and best practices.
- Train and coach Norwegian Red Cross and Host National Society teams in thematic frameworks and relevant technical standards and support the operationalization of those standards.
Some operational responsibilities
- Keep abreast of developments in the global technical environment and contributes proactively with other technical personnel to Norwegian Red Cross global effort.
- Carrie out regular field monitoring and provide recommendations and assistance on project improvements.
- Liaises with the Host National Societies technical and project teams to ensure relevance.
- Provide trainings and coaches National Society project staff of established technical standards when needed.
- Advices the regional and country offices on the prioritization in the relevant technical field.
- Enable regional and country office colleagues to understand and make use of available technical tools and methodologies.
- Provides technical support to quarterly and yearly country reports.
We seek a person who;
- quickly understands and analyses complex issues and problems; comes up with sound and rational judgements
- demonstrates specialist knowledge and expertise in own area and participates in continuous development
- communicate in a clear, precise and structured way; speaks with authority and conviction; presents effectively
- uses a methodical and systematic approach; plans ahead, define clear priorities and allocate resources effectively
- adheres to company rules and procedures; execute plans with commitment and determination; achieves high quality results
- collaborate well with others; shares knowledge, experience and information and supports others in the pursuit of team goals
- Higher University Degree in health-related discipline.
- In-depth understanding of relevant technical health standards and the operationalization of those standards in humanitarian projects.
- Minimum 5 years of successful and proven experience from building technical capacities of colleagues and partner organizations
- Experience from working in conflict and volatile settings preferable. Travel to volatile contexts under specific security arrangements to be expected.
- Fluency in English in required. Arabic is an asset.
- International driving licence (manual gear) is required.
Deputy Regional Representative MENA, based in Beirut, Lebanon
Position is based in:
· 12 months’ contract, possible with extension.
· This is a family mission but security arrangements in Lebanon are subject to changes and restrictions on international personnel, including presence of dependents, may be imposed.
Why should you apply?
Meaningful: Youll be a part of the world’s largest humanitarian organization, reaching the most vulnerable people in their local community.
Impact: You will help National Societies in the region to become strong, self-sustained and accountable humanitarian actors.
Career: You will be connected to an international organization with staff based all over the world
A great place to work: You will work in a multicultural environment with hard-working, dedicated and fun colleagues with a strong culture of collaboration, continual improvement, and celebration of wins.
Norwegian Red Cross striving to build a working culture based on respect, honesty and generosity.
We do a thorough background check on relevant candidate.