Job Title: Regional Program Director (RPD)
Location: Amman, Jordan
Travel: Frequent travel to the Middle East countries, i.e: Lebanon, Yemen, Iraq, Turkey
Reports to: Regional Director
Supervises: Direct line management with Regional Senior Program Officer (RSPO), Regional Awards Manager (RAM), and Regional Technical Advisor(s)/Consultant(s). Dotted line technical management of Country Program Directors / Head of Programs / DCD-Program in Middle East Region
Relief International specializes in relief and development programs that benefit people in acute distress. A registered non-profit in the US, UK, France and Belgium, our work targets those fragile countries or communities that suffer from recurrent man-made or natural crises that impede human development. The people that we serve live in seventeen countries across the Middle East, Africa, and Asia where the debilitating effects of political instability, forced displacement, and natural disasters are pervasive. Often, RI is the only organization providing healthcare, education, logistics, energy, capacity building, economic development, sanitation, and many other forms of assistance to these highly vulnerable communities.
The Regional Program Director will work closely with the Regional Director to contribute to and implement RI’s Global strategy, by providing vision and strategic direction to all of RI’s work in the region. This includes RI’s humanitarian responses in addition to looking at future long term development, program design and implementation that will ensure RI’s longer term presence in the region and working with both host communities and governments. These are countries undergoing dramatic transitions that have the potential to create significant opportunity for development and change. The region is at the nexus of poverty and development, of disaster and resilience. The RPD will be responsible and accountable to support the strategic direction and effective program implementation of the region, ensuring development, continued improvement in quality and impact in line with Regional Strategy.
The Regional Program Director role will focus on increased facilitation and coordination between Global and RI country programs to create a stronger regional portfolio that is globally coordinated and is able to evolve from day to day management to growth and improvement in quality. The Regional Program Director is expected to assist in inspiring team members to bring creative ideas to fruition and create meaningful impact for the region. This is to be a resourceful and proven leader with a deep understanding of the region, its recent history, current trends and political environment and is able to support the Regional Director to steer our team and programs toward impact-driven programming in the region.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Global and Regional Strategic Leadership
- Work directly with Technical department and other department initiatives that are focused on improving quality implementation in countries and ensuring that regional priorities and needs are understood and incorporated in the design.
- Articulate a compelling vision for the region and support country programs in setting country strategies.
- Support the management of country level strategic and annual planning, development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Connect teams to ideas, partners and resources to drive creative solutions for greater impact (ie: Remote Management, Technical TAs etc.)
- Prepare the region to be strategically positioned for new opportunities and prioritize needs to enable region to go for them.
- Work closely with the Regional Director to ensure that the voice of the Region is effectively heard, and influence the direction of RI through the participation and contribution of the Region and organization wide activities.
- Responsible to work closely with the Regional Director in anticipating and managing risks that could threaten the organization’s reputation, operational viability and security.
- Support the Regional Director and Country Directors in Project development, building networking with new donors, and develop partnership with INGO and LNGO
Program Cycle Management
- Contribute robustly to program development process, including revision of proposals to ensure alignment with country and regional strategy, technical input/writing/quality control, and coordination with program and technical staff.
- Oversee the Regional Senior Program Officer (RSPO) and Regional Technical Staff in the provision of in-person and remote guidance and support on implementation of sound project cycle management and technical quality standards for all Country Programs. Ensure country offices have appropriate backstopping to meet RI’s required tools and processes and ensure the coordination of RI’s program quality and portfolio reporting mechanisms throughout the region.
- Oversee Regional Awards Manager who is responsible for ensuring compliance of the regional portfolio in accordance with RI and donor policies, including, but not limited to support for timely identification and preparation of no-cost extensions, budget realignments, and program grant modifications.
- Provide content and updates for websites and communication materials relating to programming (oversee RSPO, Regional Program Officer, and/or interns who are responsible for this task).
- As part of RI’s commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient, and relevant to the communities they serve, the Regional Program Director will be expected to dedicate l5% of his/her time to learning activities that benefit RI in the region (contribute to at least two new learning initiatives per year).
- Promote sharing of learning with others and drawing on learning from across RI and externally and utilizing the results to inform program decisions and enhance institutional knowledge.
- Drive, track, and support consistency of impact through program implementation in the region.
- The Regional Program Director is expected to take a lead in the Regional Team in all efforts towards accountability; focusing on how we can improve our current program implementation to specifically respond to our beneficiaries and to international standards. In addition, how and what steps we can begin to take to actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our program.
- Assume the role of Regional Director when required.
- Support the Regional Director to present calculated risks based on evidence-based assumptions to help identify actions and decisions that need to be taken. Develop action plans to move decisions forward, convening stakeholders and leading follow up as needed.
- Supervise and mentor RSPO, Regional Awards Manager, and Regional Technical staff.
- Participate in key recruitment processes and decisions throughout the region.
- Lead the coordinated development of the regional management team work plan as well as the related tracking and follow up throughout the year.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- MAIS or equivalent in international development, political or social science management or other relevant field.
- 8 to 10 years’ field experience in senior management, i.e. Country and/or Regional Position including team management experience, finance and administration; donor relations; and inter/intra-agency communications.
- Significant program operations experience including direct “hands-on” skills in program development strategic planning, program implementation and evaluation.
- Extensive experience in managing both development and emergency programs.
- Demonstrated understanding of the critical development issues in the assigned region and significant experience with the challenges of operating programs in the region.
- Demonstrated proficiency and experience with US, EC, UN and other public and private donors, Government grant and financial management requirements.
- Exceptional program and project conceptualization and design skills.
- Successful and proven negotiation, communication, organization, and prioritization skills and experience.
- Strong preference given to candidates with prior experience in Middle East.
- Proficiency in Arabic is a plus.
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
- Transparency and accountability
- Agility and innovation
Interested applicants are requested to fill in their appplications on the link below: