iMMAP is an international nongovernmental organisation that provides information management services to humanitarian and development organizations. Through information management, we help our partners target assistance to the world’s most vulnerable populations. Our core philosophy is that better data leads to better decisions and that better decisions lead to better outcomes. iMMAP’s critical support to information value chains helps to solve operational and strategic challenges of our partners in both emergency and development contexts by enabling evidence-based decision-making for better outcomes.
An outbreak of respiratory disease caused by a new coronavirus started in China in December 2019 and has now been detected in most countries. The virus is named Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) and the disease associated with it is named COVID-19. The epidemic was declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern on 30 January 2020 and characterized by the WHO Director General as a pandemic on 11 March 2020. As more governmental measures are adopted to reduce pressure on health services and public health risks, the impact of the pandemic is being felt by all humanitarian organisations whose staff is mostly confined at home. Non-essential field movements have all been cancelled. Needs assessments are being cancelled and regular monitoring systems interrupted. For the months to come, access to structured information in humanitarian contexts will become the exception, and most decisions will be made on the basis of remote techniques, secondary data, social media, expert judgement or journalism. The impact of movement limitations will be felt at each step of the assessment and analysis cycle. This project will support a global project involving 6 countries. This position will coordinate the response in Africa other than with the DEEP (thedeep.io) team and Global Analysis Cell. The position is supervised by the Global Project Manager.
Description of Duties
• Project Management
• Coordinate the action in the Africa Countries using best practices in coordination with appropriate teams and HQ.
• Oversee the overall design of the program ensuring objectives are met within the required time frame and budget. Where necessary ensure preventative and corrective action is taken.
• Support the development of an implementation strategy which is appropriate to the context.
• Support the Project Leads in the identification and mobilization of human resources as per project documents.
• Manage a comprehensive activity plan, including resource needs analysis, covering the
• Proactively inform iMMAP Project manager of identified opportunities, risks and risk mitigation relevant to the program planning and implementation.
• Maintain an overview of the national and regional context with a view to the strategic development of the project both in the current identified sites and potential of future program extension and expansion.
• Support programme implementation as needed, including: developing assessments, baselines, budgets, monitoring and evaluation systems, field visits to verify data, reporting and close-out.
• Coordination of the country focal points, global analysts, the DEEP project team and the Global COVID analysis cell
• Financial Management
• Support as needed in the monitoring of project expenditures in close coordination with iMMAP Finance HQ.
• Ensure that budgets are spent according to donor proposals and regulations.
• Support project leads in the operational set-up of the project especially where iMMAP does not have structured country offices
• Staff Management
• Support the identification,selection and contracting of the staff of the designated project , in accordance with iMMAP guidelines.
• Ensure that staff receive appropriate and adequate training by providing coaching.
• Through a consultative leadership style and a transparent and supportive communication structure, develop and build an effective iMMAP project team.
• Security Management
• Assess and review the security status of identified areas of operation.
• Ensure security plans and protocols for the areas of operation are updated and implemented in close coordination with iMMAP security.
• Quality Management
• Ensure designated projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements.
• Regularly assess and provide feedback and recommendations on the quality of the programmes.
• Build relationships on behalf of iMMAP with bilateral donors, international non- governmental organisations, implementation partners and other agencies relevant to the implementation of the programme.
• Represent iMMAP in relevant consultations and meetings.
• Ensure complete and timely reporting of activities to iMMAP, donor, and implementation partners.
• Assist iMMAP Project manager with strategic planning, M&E.
• Other relevant duties as assigned by the Global Project Manager.
• Bachelors or master’s degree in international development studies or related field;
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience in programme management/coordination required or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• At least 5 years of work experience in similar management and/or advisor functions in international humanitarian or development aid.
• Demonstrated experience and knowledge in establishing systems and overseeing programme start-up under limited time constraints as well as plan programme close- out.
• Knowledge of programme development skills such as quantitative and qualitative monitoring and evaluation.
• Knowledge of national and regional dynamics of migration and actors, and an understanding of the functioning and policy-making dynamics of these actors;
• Proven and well-developed influencing and relationship-building skills in dealing with stakeholders at all levels.
• Demonstrable highly developed written and oral communication skills.
• Previous experience in Africa.
• Experience in data collection, secondary data analysis and situational reporting.
• Knowledge of the DEEP platform is an asset
• Experience in working in remote data collection contexts
• Knowledge of the humanitarian cluster system and the HNO and HRP processes
• Knowledge of multi-sector assessments and assessment frameworks
• Fluent in French and English.
• Soft skills
• Strong analytical skills, and apt at turning abstract discussions into concrete ideas.
• Technical writing skills including developing proposals and reports.
• Ability to develop and carry out work plans and solve problems independently.
• Ability to perform well on tight deadlines, flexible attitude.
• Ability to select, develop and lead teams.
• Ability to work based on objectives.
• Knowledge of computer applications, in particular proficiency required in MS Office and Google Suites.
• Knowledge and experience working with Kobo Toolbox and the DEEP platform is an advantage.
The position is home based, considering current Covid 19 travel restrictions, but deployment to one of the African countries (Burkina Faso, Nigeria or DRC) will be expected as soon as possible.
Personnel is expected to conduct itself in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and iMMAP’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all Countries.
iMMAP has zero-tolerance for sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, human trafficking, child abuse and exploitation. Any violations of these principles and policies will be treated as serious misconduct.
iMMAP is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background.
How to apply
Please apply through iMMAP Careers: https://careers.immap.org/jobs/80/