Founded in 1941, Freedom House is an independent watchdog organization dedicated to the expansion of democracy around the globe. Our Research and Analysis division produces cutting-edge reports on topics such as the state of democratic institutions, media and internet freedom, and key tactics employed by modern authoritarians—including China’s ruling Communist Party—at home and abroad. Freedom House’s research portfolio includes its annual Freedom in the World and Freedom on the Net assessments of global democracy and digital freedom, the monthly China Media Bulletin digest, and special reports, including a new project to comprehensively assess Beijing’s influence on media around the world. Freedom House’s research has been featured in hundreds of media outlets and dozens of languages, reaching millions of readers and informing news coverage, public debate, and policymaking in countries around the world.
The Research Analyst or Research Associate (title contingent on experience) will join a small, supportive, and dynamic team working to assess the Chinese Communist Party’s evolving information controls at home and abroad. The position will play a key role in research related to China’s media influence in Latin America, Africa, and/or Asia, with some opportunities to contribute to other Freedom House research and advocacy in the person’s region of expertise. The position will contribute significantly to the implementation of a new methodology and set of country case studies assessing China’s media footprint and local resilience in countries around the world, taking primary responsibility over analysis, coordination, and outreach in Latin America, Africa, and/or Asia. Responsibilities will range from monitoring, analyzing, and writing about key developments in China’s political, media, and digital impact in these regions, supporting project management and logistics, and liaising with a dispersed network of local analysts and advisers to conduct research and disseminate findings. This is a full-time position based in New York City, reporting to the Research Director for China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan.
- Strengthen thematic and regional expertise within Freedom House and on the China research team, contribute analysis related to Latin America, Africa, and/or Asia to the new special report, annual publications, and other written products, and provide substantive input at internal and external meetings
- Conduct in-depth research and produce written analysis on China’s global media influence, as well as fact-check, edit, rewrite, and proofread materials authored by non-native English speakers
- Develop and manage a network of regional and thematic experts to serve as new contributors, and act as a primary point of contact with external consultants based around the world, assisting local analysts with research and dissemination tasks
- Assist team members in designing and facilitating outreach and dissemination activities for Freedom House research products, particularly related to China, to audiences in Latin America, Africa, and/or Asia as well as developing methods to track and evaluate impact
- Represent Freedom House research in media interviews, private briefings, and public conferences
- Analyze data and prepare charts, graphics, and other support materials for publication
- Assist with donor reports, and monitoring and evaluation of project impact
- Ensure consultant contracts, payment requests, business expense reports, and other financial documents are in line with Freedom House requirements
- When relevant, prepare travel and event logistics for in-person international meetings, including booking flights and accommodation for participants, coordinating with venues, and other tasks
- Where funding permits, travel internationally to coordinate meetings with local researchers and attend relevant conferences to represent FH research
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- For Research Analyst: Master’s degree in political science, international relations, human rights, international law, media/journalism, public policy, or related field with a focus on Latin America, Africa and/or Asia, including China; plus 3-5 years of directly related experience
- For Research Associate: Bachelor’s degree in related field, plus a minimum of two years of directly related experience; or equivalent combination of advanced education and experience
- Outstanding English writing and editing skills and experience drafting concise, eloquent, and media-friendly communications, including opinion pieces
- Knowledge of the legal, political, and technical mechanisms underpinning online and offline censorship, surveillance, media regulation, and disinformation in Latin America, Africa, and/or Asia, including China
- Demonstrated knowledge of Chinese foreign policy, influence, or economic activities in Latin America, Africa, and/or Asia
- Grasp of important media/internet policy and foreign influence debates in Latin America, Africa, Asia, the United States and/or Europe
- Language skills, particularly Spanish, Chinese, French, Arabic, or other regionally relevant language
- Comfort working with limited supervision on long-term tasks, finding solutions to problems as they arise, and taking responsibility for your work
- Superb attention to detail and an ability to produce error-free work on tight deadlines
- Command of Microsoft Word to mark up and reformat documents, and Excel to create spreadsheets that are smart and neat
- Emotional intelligence needed to facilitate cooperation between people with divergent views and from different cultural backgrounds
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in a workplace setting
- Strong interpersonal skills for presenting to and communicating with diverse audiences ranging from at-risk activists to senior government officials
- Experience conducting project management and coordinating multiple tasks on a 3-12 month timeline
- A desire to develop into an internally and externally recognized expert on issues related to China and its global influence
- Knowledge of or curiosity to explore additional topics related to democracy, media/internet freedom, and Chinese Communist Party influence in the region of expertise
- Some experience with donor reporting, monitoring & evaluation, and financial reconciliations
- Candidates must possess authorization to work in the United States.
- Freedom House provides a strong benefits package, including a 10-percent employer match program for your 403(b) retirement account, commuter benefits, flexible summer hours, floating holidays, high employer contributions to medical, dental, and vision premiums, basic and voluntary life and AD&D insurance, short- and long-term disability, flexible spending account, and more.
- Salaries are commensurate with experience and based on pay grades that prioritize equity across the organization. Research Associate roles start at $49,000; Research Analyst roles start at $56,900.
- The role may require light domestic and international travel to participate in conferences, briefings, and workshops.
- Diversity makes our research stronger. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
- NY staff are currently working remotely, and Freedom House is continuing to evaluate when, and under what circumstances, staff will return to the office. This position may start remote, with mandatory relocation to New York City once circumstances allow.
- This position is contingent on funding approval.
Please send us a resume (1-2 pages) and a cover letter (max. 1 page) describing your qualifications and interest in the position, as well published works relevant to this topic. Applications will be accepted through November 18, 2020.
Disclaimer: This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
Qualified and Interested Applicants:
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only candidates authorized to work in the U.S. without any restrictions need apply.
How to apply
Link to job posting: https://phe.tbe.taleo.net/phe01/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=FREEHOUS…