Organization: International Organization for Migration
Position Title : Resources Management Officer
Duty Station : Maputo, Mozambique
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 25 September 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cook Islands, Cuba, Cabo Verde, Czech
Republic, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Grenada, Guyana, Iceland, Kiribati, Comoros, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Saint Lucia, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Palau, Paraguay, Solomon Islands, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, Sao Tome and Principe, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) for IOM Mozambique and technical oversight from the Senior Regional Resource Management Officer (SRRMO) as well as in close collaboration with the Department of Resources Management (DRM) and other relevant units at Headquarters (HQs) and Manila Administrative Centre (MAC), the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for supervising and coordinating the administrative, budgetary and financial functions of the Mission and its sub-offices.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist in monitoring and overseeing the financial management for all activities in the Mission and its sub-offices including the oversight of financial expenditure and accountability; undertake financial analysis of projects in the Mission.
- Train and supervise support staff in the administrative and finance unit in accordance with the Organization’s regulations and procedures.
- Assist in forecasting cash flows according to activities in the Mission and ensure daily control of funds disbursed; verify that funding is received in accordance with donor agreements.
- Assist the supervisor in preparing the annual budget for the Mission, in coordination with the relevant Project Managers. Monitor the budget control process and analyse variances between budget(s) and actual expenditures monthly and assist in the preparation of budgets for new projects.
- Apply administrative and human resources policies, rules and regulations and make recommendations for resolving difficult or sensitive cases.
- Maintain and implement appropriate internal controls to safeguard the Organization’s assets, control cash and prevent fraud.
- Track and coordinate all financial reporting and follow up so that requirements are met in a timely manner including the submission of financial, interim and final reports in accordance with IOM and donor requirements in close coordination with the supervisor.
- Manage the Mission’s office premises, equipment, vehicles and supplies. Ensure the maintenance of an up-to-date asset inventory system, which ensures that all assets are accounted for and reflected on inventory sheets.
- Propose improvements in work methods and procedures; identify bottlenecks and recommend action to resolve problems or correct errors and bring to the attention of the supervisor any unusual trends.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Professional certification as chartered accountant (CA) or certified public accountant (CPA), Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), or Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) will be a distinct advantage.
• Experience with international institutions knowledge of International Public-Sector Accounting
Standards (IPSAS) and SAP is highly desirable;
• Experience in financial management, accounting and budgeting;
• Experience in human resources management;
• Experience with internal control assessment, internal and/or external/project audits;
• Ability to prepare clear and concise reports;
• High level of computer literacy, experience in computerized accounting systems and software;
• Field experience a plus, including in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as with international institutions.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Portuguese is an advantage.
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 25 September 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 12.09.2018 to 25.09.2018
Requisition: SVN 2018/215 (P) – Resources Management Officer (P2) – Maputo, Mozambique (55646504) Released
Posting: Posting NC55646527 (55646527) Released