The Humanitarian Response Team Response Specialist administers key elements of the Humanitarian Response Team’s functions including the coordination of headquarters support function to humanitarian responses; leading proposal development and submission; supporting representation at key humanitarian coordination forums and being a source of accurate and up to date information about ongoing responses for headquarters; and manages the humanitarian response roster training program. This role is integral to Medical Teams reaching its aspirational goals of tripling the number of displaced and crisis affected people served and increasing capacity to respond to sudden onset and chronic emergencies.
The role serves as the headquarters liaison point for the Senior Response Manager while the Manager is leading a response, and to other HQ departments such as Marketing and Development, Human Resources (including volunteer deployment needs with the support of the Program Support Officer), Finance, Information Systems, and Logistics. The Response Specialist ensures strong coordination on proposal development and streamlined support from support services to the field. The Response Specialist is well organized, a strong communicator, a skilled manager, a resources mobiliser, a strategic planner, and an influencer.
When in a deployed role, this position is generally responsible for serving as Field Coordinator and/or Grants and Information Manager. This role will draw on their experience to identify with the response team institutional donor funding, establish strong operational policies and procedures, mentor local staff and monitor the implementation of the response.
Medical Teams International Calling:
Daring to love like Jesus, we boldly break barriers to health and restore wholeness in a hurting world.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support the Senior Response Manager in the administration of humanitarian response strategies, annual work plans, and reporting against team and group outcomes and indicators.
- Collaborate with other HRT members on the continual improvement and implementation of the Humanitarian Response Plan.
- Available to deploy to a humanitarian emergency, in a junior leadership role, after the initial program startup phase – to support proposal development and field coordination.
- Contribute to the achievements of the MTI Core Humanitarian Standard Improvement Plan.
- Provide support for MTI’s emergency responses and where necessary, backstop in-country teams.
- In coordination with the Health Response Manager, support documentation of findings from needs assessments in new and ongoing humanitarian crises, especially with identifying barriers to health care.
- Provide support to Country Directors/Managers in order to develop, implement and monitor country strategies and annual work plans.
- Support the administration of scenario based exercises for Medical Teams to practice response actions with headquarters and HRT staff.
- Support HQ staff to ensure that HQ program reporting, information and data is current, including country information, proposals, and funding needs.
- When deployed to a response, provide regular and clear reporting as required by the humanitarian response team leader.
- Oversee management of Medical Teams humanitarian training program including, training coordination, program quality, contract management, financial reporting, participant selection and review, communications and provision of training assistance.
- Support the training of humanitarian capacity building for staff at headquarters, country offices and the MTI Humanitarian Response Roster.
- Represent Medical Teams at field coordination meetings and global humanitarian coordination bodies as needed.
- Support the development of partnerships with other NGOs in emergency response to form complimentary response plans and/or work as a consortium for donor funding. Including the drafting of MOUs, joint funding budgets, and due diligence tasks.
Finance and Human Resources
- Build strong relationships with HQ support functions to build their readiness and understanding for Medical Teams humanitarian responses.
- Coordinate with Medical Teams HQ to support humanitarian teams in the field with finance, HR functions and assist in recruitment and orientation of new humanitarian country personnel.
- Support with the documentation and management for response budgets and ensure expenses are documented per the Financial section of the Field Operations Manual.
- Lead or support with the writing of institutional donor and private funder concept notes and proposals based upon needs analysis for humanitarian health interventions, with the support of other team members on the Humanitarian Response Team.
- Liaise with the Marketing and Development Department to review all outgoing media communications for assigned countries.
- Serve as lead on corresponding with Integral partners and other INGOs at the HQ level and when needed at field level on possible joint grant applications or private funding support to MTI programs.
Safety and Security
- Support with updates or development of country/program security guidelines, in close coordination with the Global Safety and Security Advisor.
- Support implementation and compliance of MTI’s security policy and standards for MTI operations.
- Comply with and promote all relevant MTI policies and procedures with respect to child safeguarding, safety and security, PSEA, code of conduct, equal opportunities, and other relevant policies.
- Support headquarters international Crisis Management Team, as needed.
- Course management of Medical Teams humanitarian training programs including the Hostile Environment Awareness Training plus Humanitarian Principles course including overseeing facilitators, participants, administrative and support staff.
- Contract management of training partner organizations’ and personnel for Medical Teams humanitarian training programs.
- Support the management of programs and staff according to Medical Teams policies and Field Operations Manual in the event of being deployed during an emergency response.
- Support accountability of country strategies, program design, monitoring and evaluations, recruitment, staff onboarding, trainings and performance management, and partnership agreements.
- Ensure the Safeguarding of program participants and employees through promoting an environment of awareness and upholding the code of conduct provisions of Medical Teams Protection from Sexual Exploitation & Abuse, Child & Vulnerable Adult protection, and harassment-free workplace policies.
- Utilize volunteers whenever possible.
- Additional duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, LICENSES, & CERTIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in international relations or related field.
- Master’s degree in public health, international relations or related field.
- Humanitarian training.
- Hostile Environment Awareness Training.
- Training facilitation experience
- Valid passport.
- International driver’s license, or ability to obtain one.
- Current first aid certificate
- Train the trainer Certificate, or similar.
- 4-6 years related experience of which 3 include aid and development sector.
- Minimum 1 year in a field-based role delivering humanitarian assistance funded by institutional donors.
- Minimum 1 year’s operational experience in conflict or complex natural disaster responses with an aid organization.
- Experience developing proposals and implementing grants from several of the following donors: UNHCR, UNICEF, WFP, OFDA, PRM and Country Based Pooled Funds.
- Demonstrated experience in working in partnership with other NGOs through consortiums, coordinated response etc.
- Experienced in implementing security procedures in insecure environment utilizing a community acceptance strategy.
- Aware of current safety and security practices and issues affecting the humanitarian community globally.
- Experience in training design and delivery to a multi-national audience.
- Experience managing and developing budgets.
- Experience as a manager with a humanitarian aid organization.
- Experience in large humanitarian responses.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Commitment to Medical Teams International Calling and Values.
- Ability to build and maintain a high functioning, high performing work team.
- Ability to deploy to international locations on short notice and travel up to 40% of the time.
- A knowledge of humanitarian contexts and application of humanitarian principles.
- A knowledge of project cycle management and the Core Humanitarian Standards.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work autonomously in a highly stressful and challenging environment.
- Ability to maintain and develop collaborative relationships.
- Ability to set clear objectives with teams and individuals, and monitor progress and performance.
- An understanding of conflict resolution and experience in negotiation to support positive outcomes.
- Able to make decisions in stressful and chaotic situations.
- Able to articulate plans and decisions cross-culturally.
- Thorough knowledge of the humanitarian system and current developments, including the transformative agenda and Grand Bargain.
- Must be able to exercise considerable initiative.
- Detail oriented with an ability to maintain accurate records.
- Ability to independently plan, organize and follow through on task.
- Ability to maintain and protect the confidentiality of organization information.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously; flexible.
- Ability to operate well in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to work flexible schedule and weekends as needed.
- Proven skills in concise and succinct report writing. Ability to prioritize security related tasks and complete reports to deadlines.
- Ability to formulate and communicate analysis of a changing security environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate at all levels.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Fluent in English (written and spoken).
- Understanding of international public health programs.
- Additional language(s) – ideally Spanish, French and/or Arabic.
- Must have the ability to consistently communicate professionally and effectively with all constituents.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Standard Office Software
- Moderately skilled with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, Teams, and PowerPoint and Communication Software
- Basic skills with GIS Mapping
- Experience with Skype, Whatsapp, Sharepoint, and Google Drive preferred
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & WORKING CONDITIONS
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED:
- Requires frequent use of personal computer, including word processing, database programs; calculator, telephone, HF and VHF radio, Satellite phone, copier, and fax machine.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is required to walk on smooth and uneven surfaces; climb stairs; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands, and arms.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment varies based on local environment of response and can be quite noisy with traffic as background.
- The employee may be required to travel to remote areas of the world where there are potential health hazards and risks, limited hygiene facilities, extreme weather, and very basic living conditions.
How to apply
Please express your interest by applying on our website www.medicalteams.org using the link here: