Training Agency: UN System Staff College
Registration deadline: 14 Oct 2018
Training date: 21 Oct 2018 to 02 Nov 2018 —
UNSSC’s Driver Training Program aims to directly contribute to Pillar 3 of the UN Road Safety Strategy and SDG Goal 3, target 3.6: “By 2020, halve the number of global deaths and injuries from road traffic accidents”. It builds on the success of UNICEF’s Road Safety Programme and will enable UN and associated organizations to deliver high quality, standardized driver training in a cost-effective manner. Successful participants will have requisite skills, knowledge and attitudes to train others on the safe, efficient and effective operation of light vehicles in a variety of contexts and risk environments.
Upon successful completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Apply, organize and articulate, with precision and without supervision, advanced driving instruction, coaching and evaluation techniques;
- Demonstrate mastery in real life examples.
The methodology used in the Driver ToT course is based on traffic psychology, experiential learning and the Goals for Driver Education (GDE) framework. Learners are encouraged throughout the course to engage in critical self-reflection to support experiential learning and behaviour change. Knowledge, skills and attitude competencies will be imparted to the learners through the following methods:
- Classroom-based learning. Knowledge of advanced driving, instruction and coaching methods will be delivered via a problem-based learning approach in a classroom setting.
- Experiential learning in practical settings. Learners will deliver knowledge and skills-based training in a classroom and closed driving circuit, followed by in-car coaching and assessment in a variety of urban, rural and highway conditions.
- Self-reflection. Learners will be encouraged throughout the course to engage in self-reflection to maximize experiential learning. This is accomplished through formative discussions, learning diaries and dynamic feedback sessions during and after practical and problem-based learning activities.
- Formative evaluation will be conducted throughout the course to provide feedback, encourage honest self-assessment and highlight experiential learning opportunities.
- Summative Evaluation is conducted through practical and written performance checks that enable learners to demonstrate their skills and knowledge to the required standard.
- Following the completion of the formal training courses, qualified participants are evaluated to ensure they are using the skills and knowledge learned.
- This course qualifies successful participants to independently deliver UNSSC’s and UNICEF’s Road Safety Program course content within three months of completing the course. Certification is conditional on learners tailoring a course training plan and delivering an advanced safe driver course within three months of the ToT course completion.
- Certification is valid for three years; re-certification is available through a several options, including delivering a course with a ToT Trainer or having a ToT Trainer observe a course being delivered.
- Summative assessment results and overall course results are rated as either “Competent” or “Not Yet Competent”. To be assessed as “Competent”, a participant must demonstrate the required knowledge, skills and attitudes in the final (summative) practical and theory assessments, and plan, deliver and review a training course within 3 months.
Advanced Driver Module:
- Advanced driving theory
- Advanced driving skills
- Practical on-road driving
Driver Coach/Assessor Module
- Methods of coaching
- Methods of evaluation
- Practical skills lessons
- Practical in-car coaching and assessment
Driver Trainer Module
- Fundamentals of Adult Learning
- Methods of Instruction
- Advanced driving theory
- Practical lessons
- Course administration and action planning
- Theory lessons (classroom/static vehicle)
- Skills lessons (driving circuit)
- Advanced driving (on-road)
- Coaching and assessment (on-road)
The course fee of 7,650 USD covers the 12-day residential course and lodging and meals during the course period (14 nights in total ).
Register through the ‘Sign Up’ button on the course page: https://bit.ly/2x8JGUS