Organization: Population Services International
Job title: Senior Accountant, Special Projects
Based in Washington, D.C
Reports to the Inventory Manager
Who we are
We’re Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire by marketing affordable products and services that range from mosquito nets to contraceptives to HIV testing.
There are over 9,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds – from the medical industry to the music business – all with unique skills we bring to the job.
The Finance department supports the Global operations of PSI. This includes operations in 60+ countries. Donors including the United States Government, other foreign governments, international organizations, corporations, and private philanthropists come together to support PSI’s mission. The financial and reporting requirements of each donor are accounted for within this department.
We are looking for a Senior Accountant, Special Projects to help us navigate through the complexities of working in a large international organization. This position will have the opportunity to turn large scale analysis into process improvements and assist in leading the implementation process for change. As an organization, PSI is always striving for better and this position will be right in the middle of this goal!
As a Senior Accountant, Special Projects, there is a unique opportunity to interact with many segments of the Finance department including: inventory, audit, donor reporting, general ledger analysis, and accounts receivable. Considering this, we are looking for an accountant who is always considering risk in a complex environment, from the details to the big picture. If you love to be a part of continuous change and improvement, this is the role for you. In this role, you will be learning something new every day. It’s a dynamic and challenge filled environment that has a global impact.
Sound like you? Read on.
PSI seeks highly skilled applicants for the position of Senior Accountant, Special Projects to provide support to PSI’s global mission.
- Understand and connect all areas of the finance department to provide beneficial and cross-departmental analysis;
- Recognize and implement process improvements across multiple Finance functions;
- Be the owner of complex reconciliations, understanding risk and performing research/remediation as needed;
- Utilize current technologies to increase capacity and efficiency among the Finance team;
- Strong information technology skills to be able to adapt and connect multiple data sources, including a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Excel;
- Prepare and provide trainings to meet individual and organizational needs;
- Consider risk impact with multiple facets including donor requirements, US GAAP, and the complexities of an international organization;
- Provide assistance with internal and external audit requirements as required;
- Complete special projects, which require advanced analysis, execution and roll-out, as assigned; and
- Other duties as assigned.
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
- Measurement: You use hard evidence to make decisions and guide your work. You set clear goalposts in advance and explain clearly if you need to move them.
- Pragmatism: You’ll strive to deliver the best possible result with the resources available. You won’t be paralyzed by a need to make things perfect.
- Honesty: You own your mistakes and are open about your shortcomings – it’s the only way you’ll learn and improve.
- Collaboration: You’ll quickly establish a mental map of whom you can rely on for what, on your team, at headquarters, and in our country offices – if you try to do it all yourself, you won’t succeed.
- Trust: You accept limits to your sphere of control and give colleagues the benefit of the doubt
- Commitment: You are in it for the long-haul and want to grow with the organization, just like PSI serves its consumers and partners with host-country governments through thick and thin
Our ideal candidate will possess:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field or equivalent experience, CPA highly desirable;
- 4+ years of accounting experience in financial reporting, non-profit environment or public accounting, with a preference towards public accounting;
- Extensive knowledge of US GAAP;
- Demonstrates a willingness and ability to work independently and on a team in a cooperative, problem-solving capacity;
- Can multitask and prioritize multiple tasks based on deadlines;
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, and the ability to effectively interact with senior management and individuals with varying degrees of financial knowledge; and
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge of accounting, MS Office, and Excel.
The successful candidate will have an interactive nature; ability to work in a fast-paced environment; strong analytical and problem solving capabilities; attention to detail; and excellent organizational abilities.
Preference will be given to candidates with exposure to Lawson or other large-scale enterprise resource planning systems.
References will be required. Must be authorized to work in the United States. N.B. PSI will not consider work visa sponsorship and relocation expenses will not be covered for this position
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.