Job Title: Senior Administrative Assistant
Job ID: 24812
Location: Bangkok (RB), Thailand
Salary Grade: G5
Hardship Level:A, Family Location Type:** Family
This position is advertised open to internal and external applicants.
Applicants should consult the Recruitment and Assignment of Locally Recruited Staff (RALS), UNHCR/AI/2020/1/Rev. 1 dated 30 March 2020. If you have questions regarding your eligibility, you may also contact the HR Unit.
Internal candidates: An applicant who has internal status is**
1) a staff member holding an indefinite or fixed-term appointment in any duty station in the country.
2) Former UNHCR General Service staff members, having held an indefinite or fixed-term appointment for an uninterrupted period of at least one year may apply for internally advertised vacancies at their previous grade or equivalent or one grade above, if the seniority requirements are met, for a period of two years following separation.
3) Candidates who have been granted group 2 status.
External candidates: All the others who meet the essential minimum requirements of the position. Applicants who are not citizens of the country must comply with all eligibility requirements for employment in line with the prevailing legislative prerequisites in the country.
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Senior Administrative Assistant will provide administrative support to the office where the position is located.
The Senior Administrative Assistant normally has no direct supervisory functions though it rests upon the supervisor of the post to make time specific arrangements subject to a given situation. The incumbent will always function under direct supervision of a Senior Officer often Administrative Officer, who is required to monitor the performance of the incumbent and provide regular guidance. S/he may liaise with local suppliers and/or officials and/or Implementing Partners (IPs) on routine subject matters under the direction of the supervisor.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
The Senior Administrative Assistant will provide administrative support to UNHCR/RBAP based in Bangkok, Thailand.
The Senior Administrative Assistant will be directly supervised by the Admin Associate (under the overall guidance of Associate Admin Officer), who monitors the performance of the incumbent and advises on day to day tasks. The incumbent is expected to perform the administrative function specifically arranging travel and workshops, in close coordination with concerned staff/units. S/he will liaise with local suppliers (i.e. travel agents, hotels and other service providers) and/or officials (i.e. embassies or delegates) on routine subject matters under the direction of the supervisor. The incumbent may require to liaise with other UN offices to discharge given functions and bringing efficiency and effectiveness extending required and timely support to staff and operation.
- Assist in interpreting and processing of entitlements, issuance of contracts and maintenance of various personnel records and files.
- Attend meetings on day-to-day admin matters; administer the movement of UNHCR staff members and monitor their attendance records, leave plans, overtime and visa requirements.
- Search office files and records relating to a variety of topics for information and reference. Select information and records in specified format or on the basis of general instructions for use by others in preparing reports, correspondence, technical papers, project or programme plans and general reference documents.
- Assist in requisition of office supplies, equipment and arrange for distribution together with the appropriate inventory records.
- Assist in administrative formalities related to travel arrangements and issuance/ renewal of visas, licences, travel arrangements and other similar documents.
- Draft correspondence and reports, as required, on general administrative or specialized tasks which may be of a confidential nature within the assigned area of responsibility; Type correspondence, documents and reports, some of which may be highly confidential.
- Arrange appointments and maintain supervisor’s calendar, receive visitors, place and screen telephone calls and answer queries with discretion; Keep lists of names, addresses and telephone numbers of ministers, government officials and members of the diplomatic corps.
- Assist the management to organise and run UNHCR Office and Residential (wherever applicable) compounds.
- Facilitate various official missions of UNHCR staff and other persons of concern to UNHCR.
- Prepare attestations and certificates required by the staff members for signature of senior officer.
- Assist in processing MIP and various other claims by UNHCR staff and other clients of UNHCR.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G5 – 2 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 1 year relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
N / A
Certificates and/or Licenses
Business Administration, Finance, Office Management,
Human Resources or other related field.
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position.
Functional Skills *IT-Computer Literacy
UN-UN/UNHCR Administrative Rules, Regulations and Procedures
UN-UN/UNHCR Financial Rules and Regulations and Procedures
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Language Requirements For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English, and Fluency in Thai.
Competencies as defined in Job Profile
- Organizational Awareness
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Client & Result Orientation
- Analytical Thinking
- Planning and Organizing
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, please visit the portal of the International Civil Service Commission at: http://icsc.un.org
No late applications will be accepted. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates may be required to sit for a written test and/or oral interview. UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing or any other fees).
UNHCR strongly encourages qualified female applicants for this position. UNHCR seeks to ensure that male and female employees are given equal career opportunities. UNHCR is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
Closing Date: 23 February 2021
How to apply
For internal candidates (Group 1 & Group 2): If you are a current employee of our organization or have been enrolled in Group 2, please use the following link instead: