Title: Senior Associate Program Manager
Department: Operations Cone
Based in Washington, DC
Up to 20% international travel
Reports to the Senior Program Manager
Who we are
With over 45 years of experience, working in over 60 countries, Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
There are over 7,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. All with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
This position is an opportunity to be part of a new team of Acceleration Market Group Countries at PSI. PSI is building a team who can support creative, new ways of shaping health markets and shifting policy and funding.
The Senior Associate Program Manager (SAPM) will be the lead focal point for program and operational support to countries in the Acceleration Market Group, likely starting with Kenya and South Africa. The position will form part of the market group backstopping team based in Washington, DC and report to the Senior Program Manager. The SAPM should be passionate about contributing to the health of those we serve around the world, love numbers and working with data, like the challenge of linking programs with finances, and have a curiosity for why things are the way they are and confidence to ask how we can do better.
The SAPM will have wideranging responsibilities working with PSI staff at all levels both in Washington and overseas, providing program management and technical support for countries in the Acceleration Market Group. The SAPM will serve as the key liaison between the country teams and PSI global services, serving as a champion for the field. The SAPM is responsible for managing project data collection, analysis and reporting; coordinating donor reporting and ensuring contractual compliance; and engaging with country teams around strategy and sustainability issues. The SAPM will pro-actively meet programmatic and administrative needs, juggle multiple competing priorities, and enthusiastically ensure smooth and timely flow of work. The SAPM provides leadership and sets the example of excellence for fellow team members to follow. This position may include management and supervisory responsibilities as it evolves. The position requires flexibility, strong organizational skills and a willingness to assume varied duties and projects.
Sound like you? Read on.
Serve as a champion for the field
- Serve as the primary point of contact for assigned countries by providing in-depth project/report reviews, regular country check-in calls, tracking of technical assistance needs, etc;
- Serve as a liaison between country network members, Senior Program Manager, donors, and executive, technical and functional departments;
- Advise network members on technical, capacity building, development, financial, compliance, and strategic issues;
- Conduct short term technical assistance to network members visits on as needed basis;
- Engage closely with HQ technical teams on strategic initiatives for the field, including coordination of technical assistance and ensuring follow up for greatest results;
- Represent PSI and the Acceleration Market Group at industry events and partner meetings with sharing at regional collabs upon return for sharing of learnings;
- Support external relations and visibility through the preparation of presentations and publications, website updates, etc.
Help country network members achieve programmatic success and operational integrity
- Monitor contract compliance across a diverse set of donor agreements, including subawards monitoring and management;
- Be responsible for ensuring assigned countries complete high quality and thorough monthly project financial reviews as per SOP and support timely course correction when needed;
- Provide significant financial management support: including preparation and tracking of project budgets, realignments, and annual budgets revenue and surplus/deficit;
- Create/implement project management tracking tools and be responsible for ensuring timely data collection, cleaning of data, and production of quantitative reports and analyses;
- Pinpoint challenges with data collection and reporting and support the development and implementation of corrective action;
- Support donor reporting process, ensuring quality submissions and document retention;
- Support proposal writing and project design as needed;
- Manage cost proposal development for new business initiatives and contribute to strategy sessions;
- Support and coordinate donor reporting process, ensuring quality submissions and document retention;
- Fulfill other programmatic and administrative functions as required.
Be a focal point & representative for the region
- Serve as market group focal point for at least one PSI global service (TBD) with clear objectives and deliverables established when departments identified;
- Develop best practice and/or guidance documents for team knowledge management and onboarding;
- Coordinate with team leadership to explore opportunities for process improvement and efficiencies (such as potential MS Flow for subaward management);
- Serve as the lead on collection and compilation of global service market group information and data from country offices; and
- Foster knowledge and experience sharing among APMs organizationally by facilitating regular APM lunches and gatherings.
- Support and/or lead on the recruitment of new Acceleration Market Group staff;
- Serve as mentor to new staff by providing training on an as needed basis in functional areas;
- This position may take on supervisory duties after six months pending business needs.Qualifications
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
Collaboration: You can work independently, but thrive within a team.
Trust: You trust that your manager and team will have your back and care deeply about gaining that same trust from your teammates
Pragmatism: You dive in and maintain momentum even when things are ambiguous and you don’t let perfect get in the way of good enough.
Honesty: You aren’t afraid to speak up and speak your mind.
Measurement: You set clear and challenging goals and hold yourself accountable to driving measurable results.
Commitment: You’re independent and a free thinker, but you’re ready to buy in to the direction of the team and commit to its success.
Our ideal candidate will possess:
- You are a team player, ready for a challenge and motivated by new thinking. Comfortable with change within an evolving, innovative team.
- You have at least 3+ years of relevant work experience, including experience in program management and measurement of impact;
- Developing country work experience required. Two years of prior work experience in a developing country preferred;
- You have advanced skills in word processing, excel spreadsheet software and basic data analysis, as well as significant budget development and management experience;
- You are passionate about working on international health and private sector issues and are willing to work hard to make a difference in the lives of those we serve;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced team environment, and strong analytical/problem solving capabilities; Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, a self-starter;
- You can impress us with your attention to detail and timeliness;
- You don’t wait to be told what to do. You see a need and you meet it, you’re bold;
- You have knowledge of USAID, DFID, corporate funders and other donor communities;
- Master’s degree preferred;
- Fluency in English required.
References will be required. Must be authorized to work in the United States. N.B. PSI will not consider work visa sponsorship for this position.The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
What would get us excited?
- Excellent Interpersonal and Communication Skills. You are able to work with many people across diverse backgrounds and are an excellent writer.
- Mind for Process Improvement. You bring awareness and commitment to doing work effectively and efficiently. We want people who will see a way to streamline or improve a process and who won’t hesitate to share their ideas in making it happen.
- Champion of Fun. You support the idea that the team that works hard should play hard. We like people with a team attitude who smile and encourage others through both easy and tough tasks.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.