UNITED NATIONS HIGH COMMISSIONER FOR REFUGEES (UNHCR)
INTERNAL / EXTERNAL VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Vacancy Notice No. 08/2020(Re-advertised)
Title of the Post –Senior Data Management Assistant
Category/grade –General Service, G5
Post Number –10032728
Type of contract –Fixed-Term Appointment
Location –RBAP, Bangkok, Thailand
Date of Issue –23 April 2020
Effective date of assignment –As soon as possible
Closing Date –06 May 2020
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships:
The position is normally supervised by Assoc Statistics/Data Management Officer who provides the incumbent with regular guidance and support. Subject to the nature of the task/assignment, he/she will work independently on routine tasks, while will follow instructions of the supervisor for more complex issues. The position has no supervisory role.
Contacts are mainly with the colleagues in the same duty station to exchange information and to discuss the work plans. External contacts are not frequent. In the Field locations, under supervision of the manager, the incumbent may play a liaison role with the national and local authorities for gathering and exchange of data.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
Accountability*(**key results that will be achieved)*
- The Office has reliable and up-to-date data on persons of concern.
Responsibility(process and functions undertaken to achieve results)
- Enter data mainly related to asylum seekers, refugees and other persons of concern to UNHCR into the computer database.
- Prepare reports and project documents by providing information, preparing tables and drafting routine correspondence and reports.
- Assist in compilation of data and interpreting the statistics for various reports.
- Assist in the development of forms for data collection and analysis, if requested.
- Act as interpreter in the exchange of routine information and translate routine documents and correspondence as and when required.
- May be required to collect GIS data, update maps and undertake field trips to project sites
- Perform any other duty, as requested.
Authority(decisions made in executing responsibilities and to achieve results)
- Decide on the data recorded in database.
- Decide on appropriate resolution to incidents and escalate issues to the supervisor if incident cannot be resolved within the scope of responsibility.
Essential Minimum Qualifications & Professional Work Experience:
- Completion of the Secondary Education with post-secondary training/certificate in Electronic Data Processing, Information Technology or related field.
- Minimum 5 years of previous job experience relevant to the function. If the applicant holds a completed university degree (which is not required for this position), the number of years of university education may be considered equal to the same number of years of work experience in reviewing the number of years of experience required for the post, provided that the degree has been completed and is directly relevant to the position. The period of university level education shall count for no more than 50% of the required work experience and is only to be considered when comparing external candidates.
- Fluency in English and Thai.
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies:
- Knowledge of any other relevant UN or local language.
- Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position.
- Organizational Awareness
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Client & Result Orientation**
- Analytical Thinking
- Technological Awareness
- Planning and Organizing
Internal candidates:Interested staff members should consult the Policy and Procedures on Assignments of Locally recruited Staff (IOM/49-FOM/50/2012 dated 15 June 2012). If you have questions regarding your eligibility, you may also contact the HR Unit.**
An applicant who has internal status is a staff member holding an indefinite or fixed-term appointment in any duty station in the country. Former UNHCR General Service staff members, having held an indefinite or fixed-term appointment for an uninterrupted period of at least one year may apply for internally advertised vacancies at their previous grade or equivalent or one grade above, if the seniority requirements are met, for a period of two years following separation (if such criteria are not met, former staff members can still apply as external candidates).
External candidates:External candidates must meet the essential minimum requirements of the position and candidates not citizens of the country must comply with all eligibility requirements for employment in line with the prevailing legislative prerequisites in the country.
A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, please visit the portal of the International Civil Service Commission at:http://icsc.un.org
How to apply
Submission of Applications:
If you wish to be considered for this vacancy, please submit your letter of motivation, signed
The Personal History Form and its supplementary sheet can be downloaded from:
No late applications will be accepted. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates may be required to sit for a written test and/or oral interview.UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing or any other fees).
UNHCR strongly encourages qualified female applicants for this position. UNHCR seeks to ensure that male and female employees are given equal career opportunities. UNHCR is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.