Partners Iraq, established in 2017, serves as the Baghdad-based field office for PartnersGlobal, an international non-governmental organization with 30 years of experience building local capacities to advance democratic institutions, civil society, and a culture of change and conflict management worldwide. Partners Iraq champions this mission by empowering citizens to build sustainable peace in Iraq, especially through inclusive reconciliation and reintegration, community security, and tribal mediation.
PartnersGlobal specializes in organizational development and social entrepreneurship, having provided the seed capital and technical assistance to establish 21 local Centers throughout the world. Together, these Centers compose the Partners Network, of which Partners Iraq is the newest member. Building on nearly 15 years of PartnersGlobal programming experience in Iraq, as well as tools, resources, and expertise from other Network members around the world, Partners Iraq is establishing itself as a preeminent peacebuilding organization in Baghdad.
Primary Objective: The upcoming months will be a period of rapid startup for the Partners Iraq team. The Iraq team’s portfolio of projects has focused on conflict resolution and mitigation, reconciliation, reintegration of internally displaced persons, youth engagement, and women’s empowerment. We are now seeking a qualified Senior Program Manager with program and financial management experience to oversee program implementation and contribute to new business development. Specifically, the position will work with Baghdad and DC-based team members, senior leadership, and local partners across Iraq to provide high quality deliverables and identify innovative solutions to contribute to portfolio growth. They will work with a dynamic team of professionals who are passionate about their work and must work effectively in highly collaborative environments.
This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the development of a vibrant organization that already has a track record of impressive work that is well respected by donors and local organizations alike. PartnersGlobal has a strong portfolio of projects not only across the MENA region but also in Africa, Europe, and Latin America.
- Work under the supervision of the PartnersGlobal MENA Senior Director to ensure effective implementation of programming and performance objectives are being met within timeline and budget;
- Take a leadership role in Partners Iraq business development initiatives, including conducting contextual research, outreach, drafting proposals, formulating program budgets, and coordinating communication with other local project partners or key stakeholders;
- Manage all areas of project budgets, including analyzing projections vs actuals, forecasting and recasting, and preparing modifications (e.g. realignments, cost and no cost extensions) as needed;
- Maintain effective relations and coordination with project partners and donors, as well as project stakeholders throughout Iraq;
- Travel to other governorates for program activity implementation and market research, with occasional international travel for relevant training and professional development;
- Ensure all fiscal and performance activities are in compliance with Partners Iraq policies and procedures and funder regulations;
- Make decisions and provide solutions to implementation obstacles;
- Brief PartnersGlobal leadership on project progress, challenges, and successes;
- Work with PartnersGlobal DC-based staff to train Partners Iraq staff in program management and reporting;
- Take a leadership role in training and managing Partners Iraq staff, ensuring they have sufficient understanding of Partners methodologies and programs;
- Assist DC and Baghdad-based staff in creating systems and policies for program implementation and reporting;
- Fulfill other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Abilities:
- A minimum of five years’ experience working on Partners Iraq thematic program areas such as conflict resolution and mediation, civil society, good governance, capacity building, democratic support, with strong preference for expertise in gender or labor issues;
- Bachelor’s degree required with preference for advanced degree in International Relations/Economics, Development Studies, Peacebuilding and/or Conflict Studies, Political Science, or related fields, or at least 5 years of experience supporting and managing NGO projects (project design, start-up, implementation, and close-out) with similar organization;
- Must be a team player with a high level of interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity ready to respond to the challenges of the day-to-day management of a diverse and demanding portfolio and to contribute to its growth. Must be comfortable working in a fast-paced work environment;
- A proven record and experience managing U.S. or other government-funded projects (understanding regulations, procedures, requirements, and demands and being able to respond to them with a high level of professionalism and knowledge);
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Arabic with the ability to express complex ideas clearly;
- A proven record developing, managing and tracking complex budgets and issuing financial reports;
- High-level proficiency in MS Excel including formula utilization required. Prior experience with budget development and budget administration. High-level proficiency in MS Office applications (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint) required. High level proficiency in data entry and database management.
- A track record of creating and sustaining strategic partnerships and negotiating with donors and project partners;
- Experience with and ability to fulfill short-term field assignments;
- Preference for experience in writing proposals and coordinating proposal development efforts;
- Ability to analyze, organize, problem-solve, manage, and prioritize work.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume by email only to email@example.com, no later than September 30, 2018. As the subject of your email, please write: “Application: PI Senior Manager.” No telephone calls, please.
Partners is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on sex, gender, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, pregnancy, marital status, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.