Organization: Pamela Steele Associates Ltd
Our package:Attractive depending on skills and experience
Hours of work:Full time, 37.5 hours per week
This role reports to:Head of Research
Staff reporting to this post:None
Annual budget for the post:None
Closing date:7th October 2018
Pamela Steele Associates (PSA) is a niche management consultancy with a mission to ensure that no patient in developing countries suffers due to lack of essential medicines. We specialise in supply chain transformation for the public health and humanitarian sectors through consultancy, research and training.
PSA was founded in 2013 by Pamela Steele. It has headquarters in Oxford, UK, and regional offices in India, Kenya and Nigeria.
We provide sustainable solutions for developing the in-country capacity of individuals and organisations to reduce dependency on external support. Working with governments, International Non-Governmental Organisations (INGOs) and the United Nations, we Research, Train and provide Technical Assistance, deploying technical specialists to transform health and humanitarian supply chains in collaboration with client teams.
At PSA, we are committed to excellence in all we do – for our colleagues and our communities, and for our clients and, ultimately, for the patients who benefit from our work. Our collaborative culture transcends organisational and geographic boundaries.
PSA is ISO 9001:2015 certified and accredited by the British Accreditation Council for Independent Further and Higher Education as a Short Course Provider.
- Humanitarian: we work for the alleviation of suffering;
- Ethical: we work with integrity;
- Service-driven: we use our professional expertise to meet our clients’ needs.
- Pragmatic: we apply general principles and frameworks but listen and adapt to the differing needs of our clients;
- Innovative: we seek to learn and apply new ideas, and embrace new technologies;
- Collaborative: we collaborate with partners, clients and service providers for mutual benefit and support, to create a strong team;
- Respectful: understanding local culture is important for effective change so we work with local partners who are familiar with the context.
PSA’s Research team forms part of the Supply Chain and Business Development Unit (SCBDU), which comprises of:
- Consultancy and projects team
- Operational Research team
- Training and professional development team
- Business development team
Who we are looking for
As PSA’s Senior Research Associate, you will lead efforts to respond to business expansion, with an emphasis on strategically increasing PSA’s client portfolio. You will also identify relevant new business opportunities and determine if those opportunities fit PSA’s core competencies based on thorough research and analysis. You will support the entire Research & Business Development Unit to manage the proposal process with all Business Development Teams (including Consultancy and Training) and ensure that the process is efficient and effective.
You will support the development and submission of high-quality business proposals (ranging in value and complexity) that meet all donor requirements (including internally or externally imposed deadlines) and are aligned with our business focus areas. Proposals can range from several pages requesting general support, to lengthy documents describing the scope of the work to be performed and the organisation’s ability to carry out the project in detail. In developing proposals for research, you will lead project design, contribute to writing key sections of the proposals, and ensure all critical components are successfully completed (including but not limited to budget development and human resource allocation).
You will be expected to have a strong background in consulting and social science research, focused on health and humanitarian logistics and supply chains. You need proven expertise in designing, leading, analysing and reporting on rigorous short- and long-term contracts and research studies. You will be able to demonstrate experience in using mixed methods in research and evaluation work relating to the logistics and supply chain field. You should have a strong track record in the use of quantitative methods for data collection and analysis, as well as experience of designing and choosing appropriate methods to fit specific contexts and tasks. You must be able to work well in collaboration with a team and be able to maintain focus under time and resource constraints.
The Operational Research Business Unit is the dedicated research unit of PSA based in Oxford, UK. It undertakes and commissions research on emerging or current issues of relevance for PSA’s supply chain capacity development interest in order to inform the strategic directions, policies and PSA core focus areas, its partners and beyond. The unit also identifies critical research gaps, brings together established researchers, and supports or undertakes new research and data collection to address questions and to inform health and humanitarian supply chain management.
- Provide leadership in expanding PSA’s research portfolio and ensure alignment with PSA’s core business area.
- Select logistics and supply chain research opportunities globally for which PSA can bid directly or in consortia, and provide detailed and strategic analysis of solicitations, instructions and other proposal-related information.
- Review background documents to ensure comprehensive understanding of major technical concepts, interventions to be proposed, donor requirements, and desired overall approach.
- Distribute essential material and updates to the proposal team experts and send follow-up emails to the team with the details of the proposals and timeline for completion.
- Ensure all proposal documents are formatted according to client requirements, and copy edit proposals for submission to ensure quality.
- Lead in the design of methodologies for research proposals and overall project execution.
- Lead the data collection process, which includes the online data collection system and quality control strategies.
- Lead in identifying and managing the collection of secondary data to complement primary data.
- Lead on the analysis of data, coordinating inputs from other stakeholders and the drafting of publications (working closely with the Communications and Marketing Team).
- Work with the Communications and Marketing Team to identify main messages, design dissemination strategies, and develop the optimal portfolio of print and online materials, while conveying PSA’s findings in a powerful and accessible manner.
- Lead on the presentation of research findings at events and other dissemination activities, including training programmes organised by PSA.
- Stay abreast of the academic and policy literature relevant to PSA and the evolving thinking on international development supply chain issues and integrate this ‘state-of-the-art’ thinking into PSA products.
- Support advancing the organisation’s intellectual growth and productivity by offering insights and contributions to other research projects, including efforts to collect and utilise extractive sector data and the future evolution of international development supply chain matters.
- Work alongside other PSA consultants to develop a network of partner organisations based in developing countries to work with PSA on research projects and processes.
- Support consultancy and Training unit with proposal background literature or desk reviews for their Request For Proposals (RFPs).
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge about fundamental programmatic aspects and approaches of PSA projects.
- Attend public events related to new business as needed.
- Act as a project team leader on designated research projects, including both externally funded and internal projects.
- Report to the Head of Research on progress and risks on projects.
- Support quality assurance processes and project management on key assignments undertaken by other staff and associates, including client management, quality assurance and financial control.
- Make recommendations and develop tools that improve future consultancies.
- Represent PSA to an array of external clients and stakeholders (including consultants and potential key personnel).
- Supervise the work of consultants and interns whenever they are engaged in projects, and provide guidance to help them achieve their performance goals.
Learning and building up of organisational knowledge:
- Work with the Strategic Communications Officer on the production of PSA’s research and learning initiatives and publications (including blogs, newsletters, web pages, occasional papers, books, events, etc.).
Support to the wider organisation:
- Collaborate closely with external associates on initiatives and with colleagues on other teams.
- Perform other reasonable duties in support of the organisation as requested by the line manager or CEO,COO, Director Business Support Unit
Skills, experience and knowledge
- Right to Work in the UK (E)
- PhD in a relevant field preferably in supply chain management (E)
- Exceptional persuasive and explanatory written and verbal communication skill, demonstrable ability to write clearly and concisely for different audiences (E)
- Experience working as a consultant (E)
- Experience (spanning at least ten years) of applying social science research skills to research projects, evaluations and impact assessments in areas of relevance to PSA’s work; e.g. international development, humanitarian supply chains, health supply chains, etc. (E)
- Quantitative social science research skills, for example: (E)
- Survey design and implementation, including sampling
- Baselines and longitudinal studies
- Statistical analysis
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and database management (E)
- In-depth knowledge of and experience in using MS Excel, as well as statistical analysis software and qualitative analysis tools and software (E)
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to multitask and work to deadlines (E)
- Ability to travel as part of research and capacity development assignments (E)
- Strong research skills with a willingness and ability to synthesise complex information in accessible and actionable formats (E)
- Commitment to PSA’s values, vision and mission (E)
- Demonstrable experience of proposal writing, costing and budgeting (E)
- Experience across a number of countries and a high level of cross-cultural sensitivity (E)
- Experience with international humanitarian and development organisations (E)
- Excellent partner, client and team management skills (E)
- Ability to advise clients and PSA colleagues and associates on appropriate research methods (E)
- Strong organisation, budget management, drafting budgets, reporting and monitoring of projects implementation, and / or communication of complex technical messages in succinct, user-friendly ways (E )
- Experience of managing research staff and other project contributors (E)
- Excellent ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Qualitative social science research skills, including use of participatory methods, for example: (D)
- Participatory action research
- Participatory rural appraisal
- Comparative case studies
- Fluency in another international working language, preferably Arabic, Russian, French, Spanish or Portuguese (D)
- Proven track record of applying analytical skills to the international development space for strategic planning and partnership development (D)
- Proven experience of designing, delivering and reporting on commissioned assignments, including with/for health and humanitarian organisations (D)
- Experience designing and delivering training using participatory learning methodologies (D)
- Proven strengths in facilitating collaboration and collaborative ways of working (D)
- A publication record in relevant areas (D)
AtPSA, our job descriptions provide a guide to what might be expected in the role. Along with our strategy the job description is used to help to shape specific objectives for employees. Employees are supported to deliver these objectives and they are annually assessed against them as part of thePSA performance review process. This job description is not incorporated into the employment contract.PSA is dedicated to building an inclusive workforce where gender balance and diversity is valued.
For the full job description and details of how to apply please visit our website: