The Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute (Swiss TPH) is a world-leading institute in global health with a particular focus on low- and middle-income countries. Associated with the University of Basel, Swiss TPH combines research, services, and education and training at the local, national and international level. Over 800 people from more than 70 nations work at Swiss TPH focusing on infectious and non-communicable diseases, environment, society and health as well as health systems and interventions.
Within the Human and Animal Health Unit, an exciting opportunity has arisen for an enthusiastic and motivated individual as a:
Short term consultant / External Reviewer
About the project
The aim of this project is to establish the health research, teaching and development capacity of Jigjiga University (JJU) leading to innovative integrated health systems for the improvement of health and wellbeing of pastoralist communities in the Somali Regional State (SRS). This is planned to be reached over a period of 10 to 12 years in two phases.
The evaluator will work together with two peers from the Swiss Development Cooperation (SDC) and Swiss TPH. The consultant has the main responsibility of leading the evaluation while the two peers will help bring institutional knowledge through participating in the evaluation. Bias/conflict of interest will be avoided by ensuring that the two peers have never worked on the JOHI project.
- Inception report – is expected to be submitted by the consultant before the evaluation begins. The inception report will elaborate the method that will be employed, questionnaires to be used and stages of the review process
- Draft report – will be shared by the consultant for Swiss TPH, JJU, AHRI and SDC to comment on. Comments and recommendations will be incorporated
- Updated project logframe
- Validation workshop will be conducted with key project stakeholders attending
- Be able to work as an individual or a team incorporating team members that are acquainted with the local context of project implementation
- PhD or a Master Degree in public health, animal health, international development
- Strong M&E background with experience in evaluating a long term projects with multiple entities involved in the project steering
- Be well acquainted with cross cutting/transversal themes such as conflict sensitive programme management, gender and governance
- Knowledge in Amharic and/or Somali language is a plus
- Have adequate knowledge of the socio-economic and political environment of Ethiopia and SRS in particular
- Prior extensive experience working and/or assessing projects in a fragile contexts
- Sound knowledge of One Health approach
- Familiarity with working with academic institutions
- Good understanding of regional needs and challenges in the Horn of Africa
Deadline for the submission of applications: 8 April 2019.
The evaluation should commence no later than May 1, 2019.It is anticipated that the evaluation will take no more than 45 working days, including preparation and piloting the tools, briefings/debriefings and external meetings, presentation/revision of findings to Swiss TPH, preparing draft and final reports.
To apply to this call, please provide:
- A cover letter explaining your competence for the proposed work
- A plan and timeline for the mid-term evaluation
- A financial offer (travel and accommodation cost are covered separately)
- A Curriculum vitae
Address of submission of applications:Lisa.Crump@swisstph.ch
Informal inquiries about the consultancy:firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information please consult our website:https://www.swisstph.ch/en/about/eph/human-and-animal-health/
PLEASE DO NOT APPLY VIA OUR ONLINE TOOL.
Instead, please use the E-Mail mentioned above!