The United States Agency for International Development/Philippines (USAID/PH) will commission, through the Collaborating, Learning and Adapting for Improved Development (CLAimDev) activity, a third party, final evaluation of the Science, Technology, Research and Innovation for Development (STRIDE) activity. Through this evaluation, USAID/PH can gauge the extent by which STRIDE is meeting its objectives of strengthening capacity in science, technology, and innovation of higher education institutions (HEIs) in the Philippines and contributing to USAID/PH’s Development Objective of “Broad-based and Inclusive Growth Accelerated and Sustained” of the earlier Country Development Cooperation Strategy (CDCS) as well as the Development Objective of the new CDCS (2020-2024) of “Inclusive, Market-Driven Growth Expanded.”
STRIDE supports the Philippine government’s Journey to Self-Reliance (J2SR), the Government of the Philippines (GOP) Filipinnovation and Entrepreneurship Roadmap included in its 2017-2022 Development Plan, and the new framework on higher education. Results of the evaluation will inform the design of the Mission’s next-generation, higher education activities. The evaluation will focus on the three-year extension period, which was granted to allow STRIDE to build on its initiatives during the five-year base period, the lessons learned during implementation, and the strong partnerships between government, academe, and industry. The three-year extension, until July 16, 2021, maintained the overall goal of STRIDE to “Strengthened Science, Technology, and Innovation Capacity for Inclusive Growth in the Philippines.” To deliver this goal, STRIDE will seek to achieve improvements in three intermediate results (IRs) re-defined for the three-year extension, namely: (a) IR1: Improved higher education capacity for innovation; (b) IR2: Improved regulatory environment for innovation; and (c) IR3: Improved government capacity for innovation.
Panagora Group, a woman-owned small business providing novel and integrated solutions in global health and international development, serving as the Contractor of the CLAimDev activity, seeks an Evaluation Advisor – Team Leader to oversee all aspects of the evaluation of the eight-year STRIDE activity. This position is contractual and based in Manila, Philippines with possible travel to STRIDE project sites located in select regions of the country.
The members of the consultant team are to work together and complement each other in exploring the synergies of the three IRs of STRIDE and its contribution to the goal of “Strengthened Science, Technology, and Innovation Capacity for Inclusive Growth in the Philippines.” The consultant team is composed of the following: (a) Evaluation Advisor – Team Leader; (b) Science, Technology, and Innovation Specialist; (c) Partnership and Collaboration Specialist; (d) Field Regional Evaluation Assistants; and (e) Project Assistant.
- Support data collection at the field level, in regions that will be covered by the Evaluation Team, in compliance with national and local limitations on travel and face-to-face interactions.
- Serve as a liaison between the Manila-based evaluation advisors and specialists and the regional activity offices, stakeholders, and information sources.
- Support the evaluation team leader in working together with the other members of the evaluation team.
- Support the evaluation team leader with inputs on the development of evaluation plan, design and conduct of the focus group discussions, key informant interviews, and surveys.
Required Experience and Skills:
- At least a Master’s degree in social sciences or related disciplines
- Evaluation, higher education, or academe-industry partnership professional with at least three years of experience
- Research and analytical skills, data management and presentation, documentation skills, and strong communication and coordination with various stakeholders in government, industry, academe as well as with non-government, and international organizations
- Willingness and ability to work as part of a team
- Excellent English communication skills, both written and oral
- Three references
- Open to Filipino nationals only
- Sample studies or published work may be requested from candidates
During the assignment, the consultant will report to the Senior Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Specialist of CLAimDev, with the guidance of the Chief of Party (COP). The Consultant will also liaise with a team of technical specialists within CLAimDev and with the PRM Unit of the USAID/Philippines.
Period of Performance
The estimated level of effort for each of the three field regional evaluation assistants will be 68 days. The duration of the Assignment would intermittently cover the period November 9, 2020 to July 16, 2021. **