SIGN LANGUAGE INSTRUCTOR CONSULTANCY
Position Title**: Sign Language Instructor
Duty Station: Roving
Classification: Consultancy (local)
Type of Appointment: Consultancy (local)
Duration of the assignment: 3 months (possibility of extension)
Closing application Date: 09 November 2020
The successful candidate will facilitate Sign Language trainings to community members in various locations across the country. The trainings will focus on language acquisition by these groups in preparation for to develop interpreting skills. The incumbent will be required to work as a member of the Protection team to conduct these trainings in all the areas of operation including remote parts of the country. The incumbent will be based in the IOM office in Juba with frequent travel to multiple field locations across the country. The incumbent will be tasked for deployment to the far-off locations in the country where sign language training needs have been identified. The incumbent will have to be ready for travel at short notice and might have to remain in the location until the project is completed.
Description of tasks
a. Plan and organize training sessions in identified locations.
b. Devise a training program that meets with the individual needs, interests, and learning abilities of the beneficiaries.
c. Modify, where appropriate, instructional methods and strategies to meet diverse needs of the beneficiary.
d. Employ available instructional technology, i.e. the internet, laptop, projector, interactive technology, when appropriate.
e. Contribute to the selection and development of instructional materials in accordance with project objectives.
f. Establish meaningful learning outcomes for training sessions.
g. Demonstrate sensitivity to the needs and circumstances of the beneficiaries.
h. Maintains accurate attendance records of training sessions.
i. Performs other duties as assigned.
Timeline for outputs
Submission of Sign Language manual at the end of the first month
Submission of training plan with clear indicators of outcomes and indicative of schemes of work and lessons plans for training groups
Commence training sessions in identified locations
Sign language training sessions in all the targeted locations identified started and on track
Submission of monitoring and final reports
The above tasks should be completed by the end of the third month
Completed a degree in adult education, community development, development studies, or any other social sciences related field from an accredited academic institution.
· A university degree or diploma in Community Development, Social Development, Education and/or Public Health or equivalent diploma and professional experience
· 1-3 years of relevant work experience in the field of Sign Language.
· Demonstrated commitment to gender equality, social inclusion, and public health,
· Efficiency, flexibility, and drive for results.
Capacity to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from various cultures and professional background.
· Takes responsibility and manages constructive criticism;
· Works effectively with all clients and stakeholders;
· Promotes continuous learning, communicates clearly;
· Takes initiative and drives high levels of performance management;
· Plans work, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
· Displays mastery of subject matter;
· Contributes to a collegial team environment;
· Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation;
· Works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
· Ability to work independently with minimum supervision;
· High sense of confidentiality;
· Personal commitment, efficiency, flexibility and drive for results;
· Capacity to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from various cultures and professional background;
· Works effectively in high-pressure, rapidly changing environments;
· Coordinates actions with emergency response actors and making use of coordination structures; supports adequate levels of information sharing between internal units, cluster partners, IOM and other emergency response actors;
· Ability to work under extreme pressure in difficult conditions while maintaining security awareness
· Displays awareness of relevant technological solutions.
· Executes tasks in a timely and accurate manner;
· Coordinates and corresponds in a clear and concise manner;
· Follows up tasks to ensure timely completion;
· Seeks to improve efficiency in tracking and monitoring.
Fluent knowledge of English language is required, knowledge of local languages is an asset.
How to apply
Interested candidates should send their application letter and Curriculum Vitae to email@example.com by 9th November, 2020, indicating in the subject of the e‐mail “Sign Language Instructor”.