Post Title: Site Engineer
Reports to: Civil Engineer Coordinator
Duty station: Mogadishu, Somalia
Project number: 2522004
The Nordic International Support Foundation (NIS) is a Norwegian-registered non-profit organization engaged in stabilization and reconciliation initiatives in conflict and post-conflict areas. Our primary areas of intervention are institutional development, public service delivery, and conflict resolution. Headquartered in Oslo, Norway, NIS recently finalized a project in Sri Lanka and currently implements projects in Somalia, Myanmar, and Mali.
NIS Somalia is currently implementing a wide range of projects in Somalia with plans to expand into new areas. The organization has offices in Mogadishu, Baidoa, Kismayo and operational presence in, Hargeisa and Bulubure in Hiiraan.
· Apply standard engineering practices and precedents in the construction, maintenance, repair and liquidation of structures and facilities.
· Apply commonly used engineering calculations, practices and precedents in completing portions of larger projects related to the constructions or repair of buildings, roads, bridges, culverts and other related structures required in the field.
· Ensuring specifications and standards for the quality of civil works undertaken by the contractors through checking by the contractor’s physical works based on technical drawings.
· Conduct preliminary site investigations to obtain field data such as buildings, roads, water supply systems etc.
· With help of other project staff, the contractor should fill the labor list into disaggregated into sex.
· With help of contractors, ensure that the maintenance crew selected by the authority should trained for future sustainability of the project
· Estimate cost of repairs to damaged buildings, facilities and systems in order to determine whether repairs or replacement are feasible.
· Produce bill of quantities (BOQ) for all civil works.
· Supervising and monitoring all the ongoing projects.
· Prepare and submit weekly reports containing brief descriptions of actual versus planned progress, problems encountered and their solutions and comments on the quality of work and contractor performance.
· Review the program submitted by the contractor for the execution of the works to establish whether the methods, arrangements, order and timing of the activities are realistic.
· Assist in preparing bid documents and managing the bid process for infrastructure projects and assessing quotations submitted by the contractors for carrying out variations, collect market rates regularly, and prepare market rate analysis of all components of civil works.
· Day to day supervision of contractors and its personnel executing the construction and other related activities.
· Ensuring that all construction process is taken in accordance to the developed Design and BOQ.
Qualification & Competencies:
· Bachelor’s Degree in civil engineering
· Willingness and attitude of learning
· Willingness to work in rural areas and with diversified team members
· Knowledge of computer application including use of Microsoft packages and engineering software.
· Knowledge of gender and social inclusion.
· Sensitivity towards conflict, poverty and culture.
· Good oral and written communication skill both in Somali and in English.
· At least five years of Progressively responsible job related in Construction
· In depth knowledge of using Microsoft office and engineering software’s especially Autocad/Archicad
· Knowledge of structure designs and ability to design multi-storey building using structural software
· Knowledge and experience of project management.
· Fluency in written and spoken English and Somali.
Any other duties assigned by the Program Manager of SES, Chief Engineer, the Program & Technical Director and the Country Representative
How to apply
Only those interested candidates who meet the profile stated should submit their applications accompanied by a detailed CV to the following address: