Organization: Manoff Group
For over 50 years, The Manoff Group, Inc. (TMG), a woman-owned small business, has been an international leader in designing and assisting the implementation of social and behavior change programs that effectively promote healthy behaviors and allow populations to enjoy an improved quality of life. TMG’s innovative Behavior-centered Programming approach offers a practical methodology for realizing measurable and sustained behavior change at the individual, community and organizational levels. Our methodology is based on human-centered design principles and employs techniques from disciplines such as anthropology, behavioral economics, psychology, marketing and communications to strategically build programs that enable people to practice life–enhancing behaviors. All project work is carried out in the spirit of collaborative learning and co-creation.
The Social and Behavior Change Advisor will be responsible for the strategic, technical development of TMG products and guidance, providing technical assistance to programs in qualitative research, behavioral strategy development, communication program design and execution and behavioral tracking.
Primarily, this position will support the work of ACCELERATE, a USAID-funded project that strengthens the ability of USAID and its stakeholders in 25 priority countries to design and manage programs to improve the practice of life-saving behaviors. ACCELERATE works with its partners to apply the project’s Behavioral Integration Guidance, known as Think | BIG, to integrate prioritized Accelerator Behaviors into their portfolios in order to improve the design of Mission strategies, support adaptive management for results and focus monitoring and learning.
This position will report directly to the ACCELERATE Project Director.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Activity Team Lead (30%)
As part of the core team of ACCELERATE Advisors, be responsible for 1-2 ACCELERATE activities. These assignments will be made in consultation with ACCELERATE’s Project Director and could include: 1) behavior-centered programming capacity development, including through a video game; 2) enhancing the use of behavioral information for programming through tools that allow for synthesis of information in multiple ways (oversight of a machine learning tool); and 3) tracking behavioral outcomes.
Activity team leads are expected to:
- Develop a vision for the activity and a workplan in collaboration with the Project Director
- Guide task team members in carrying and completing sub-tasks. Each activity involves a team of ACCELERATE experts. As lead, it is expected that all sub-tasks and team work would be overseen and organized by the lead, as well as completion of specific sub-tasks
- Stay apprised of the latest SBC-related developments and innovations and identify areas of relevance for ACCELERATE
- Participate in ACCELERATE meetings
Country Work (40%)
- Lead country team work as assigned, including working directly with USAID Mission staff to build their capacity to apply a behavioral lens (THINK | BIG) to their work in designing or managing behaviorally-focused projects and activities
- Participate as a team member on country assignments; one or more countries could be assigned
- Coordinate activities with in-country partners
Project Support (30%)
- Back-stop ACCELERATE tasks where not the lead, as needed
- Ensure delivery of state-of-the-art technical assistance to the ACCELERATE project
- Develop of SBC-related strategies consistent with basic SBC principles incorporating innovations as appropriate
- Work with USAID/Washington and Mission staff as needed
- Work with other development agencies interested in partnering with USAID on the use of THINK | BIG
- Develop and/or adapt context-specific strategies and behavioral indicators and informatics per the Think | BIG process
- Provide learning from ACCELERATE to the other project work at TMG
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND BACKGROUND
- Extensive experience in design and implementation of evidence-based behavior change strategies for either global efforts or large-scale national or state-level programs
- Understands social and behavior change concepts and keeps abreast of the latest developments in the field
- Able to build consensus among partners and stakeholders
- Strategic thinker who enjoys creative and innovative concept, process and product development
- Strong team player able to work with colleagues of different backgrounds to develop new ideas and perspectives
- Demonstrated ability to articulate concepts well in writing and speaking
- Proficiency in MS Office and internet applications required
- Understanding of USAID strategies and operations
- Proficiency in French is desirable
- Master’s degree equivalent or higher in one of the following or related fields: Anthropology, sociology, psychology, marketing, communication, or international public health/nutrition with a specialization in behavioral science
- Ten years of relevant experience working internationally with government entities, UN agencies, PVOs and NGOs, including at least seven years at the field level. Experience working with USAID a plus
- Demonstrated success in applying behavior change theory and approaches in field settings
- Demonstrated success working with local government and NGO stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability in group facilitation
- Must be authorized to work in the United States of America
To apply, please send a CV and a cover letter by November 15, 2018 to email@example.com ‘SBC Advisor’ in the subject line.
The Manoff Group, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. TMG complies with all applicable laws. TMG provides excellent benefits and a salary commensurate with experience.