Freedom House is an independent watchdog organization dedicated to the expansion of freedom and democracy around the world. We analyze the challenges to freedom, advocate for greater political rights and civil liberties, and support frontline activists to defend human rights and promote democratic change. We advocate for U.S. leadership and collaboration with like-minded governments to vigorously oppose dictators and oppression. We amplify the voices of those struggling for freedom in repressive societies and counter authoritarian efforts to weaken international scrutiny of their regimes. Founded in 1941, Freedom House was the first American organization to champion the advancement of freedom globally.
The Social Media & Communications Intern is a remote internship that will support Freedom House’s communications efforts to improve visibility on social networking and new media sites, promote media outreach, and help prepare online and print publications. This position will focus on researching Freedom House’s key media and influencer stakeholders and editing Facebook, Twitter, media relations and website content. The position will also work on publication promotion, provide day-of event assistance, assist with executing social media strategies, and help with special outreach projects as they arise. She/he will have the opportunity to work directly with Freedom House’s external audiences. This position is based remotely and works directly with the Communications team. This position provides the opportunity for on-the-job learning of skills that are vital to digital marketing and communications work, including general international non-profit outreach. This is a temporary paid internship (stipend) for currently enrolled undergraduate or graduate students that will last for about 20-24 weeks, with possible extension.
This position reports to the Digital Communications Manager and requires a commitment of about 25 – 40 hours per week, depending on the student’s availability, and will receive a monthly stipend.
- Intern must be enrolled in an accredited college or university during the duration of the internship.
- Applicants working towards an undergraduate or graduate degree in a relevant field, such as political science, communications, or journalism are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Strong writing skills. Applicants must possess an excellent verbal and written command of the English language.
- Proficiency in foreign languages is a plus.
- Strong interest and demonstrated engagement in social media, public relations, marketing, website development, graphic design or communications
- Interest in human rights, democracy and/or international development concepts
- Ability to work independently and to collaborate with others
- Ability to plan, organize, prioritize work, and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to apply close attention to detail and consistently produce error-free work
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times
- Experience with Microsoft office programs required (especially Outlook, Word, and Excel)
- Knowledge of Photoshop or Canva preferred but not required
- Eagerness to be creative and take initiative on new ideas and projects
Some Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in the creation, distribution and monitoring of external communications content for Freedom House including press releases, media alerts, tweets and Facebook posts, email newsletters, virtual events, and website content
- Assist in tracking news coverage and mentions in media outlets spanning 75+ countries
- Contribute to the creation and implementation of social media campaigns, assist in recording social media analytics
- Assist in the tracking of communications Key Performance Indicators, web analytics and social media metrics
- Select and create graphics and images for social media promotion
- Other related duties as assigned
Qualified and Interested Applicants
We invite qualified candidates to complete an online application and submit a resume, cover letter, and short writing sample. Please upload a resume AND cover letter as separate PDF attachments . Candidates who fail to submit either document will not be considered!
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only candidates authorized to work in the U.S. without any restrictions.
This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and that other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.