Organization: Management Systems International
Closing date: 11 Oct 2018
Specialist in Criminal Law
The general objective of the Project Promoting Transparency in Mexico (hereinafter the Project), implemented jointly by Checchi Consulting and MSI, is to support the efforts of public institutions and civil society organizations for the implementation of the National Anticorruption System and its homologous systems at the state level. The Project aims to achieve its general objective through technical assistance, training and communication activities.
Checchi and Company Consulting, Inc. (Checchi) has worked on international development projects for more than 40 years and in more than 140 countries through the implementation of nearly 300 long-term contracts. Its focus on the promotion of reforms in the justice and anti-corruption sector began almost 30 years ago after the establishment, at the end of the 1980s, of one of the first international practices aimed at strengthening the rule of law. Currently, Checchi is the only one of the twenty main USAID contractors dedicated exclusively to issues of democracy and governance. The main areas of expertise of the company include access to justice; development of judicial systems; Transparency and accountability; legislative and political reform; governance in the security sector;
Management Systems International (MSI) is a firm based in the metropolitan area of the City of Washington, DC with presence in several countries around the world and more than 35 years of experience in the execution of international development projects. Our areas of specialization allow us to offer a wide range of services in terms of monitoring and evaluation, institutional strengthening, public management, governance and anti-corruption. MSI currently implements nearly 100 programs in 90 countries around the world, such as Jordan, Morocco, Lebanon, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Colombia and Mexico in collaboration with international cooperation agencies and multilateral organizations, such as USAID, the World Bank and the UNDP; national and local governments, NGOs, think tanks, foundations and universities.www.msiworldwide.com ).
Purpose of the Consulting
This consultancy seeks to provide legal advice in matters of Criminal Law to civil society organizations of the state of Nuevo León involved in the process of construction of the Crimes for Corruption Act section of the Penal Code of the State of Nuevo León.
The consultant in charge of this assignment will be responsible for executing the following tasks:
- Review the proposed reforms to the Criminal Code of the State of Nuevo León for the creation of the Crimes for Corruption Acts section, (hereinafter, the proposal), prepared by the state civil society, and formulate a technical opinion that identifies the article or specific section in which an adjustment is proposed and the suggested new wording (with the legal arguments that support the proposed modification);
- Participate in work meetings and conference calls organized by the Project and / or its counterparts in order to analyze the proposal
- Collect observations and inputs from counterparts and other actors and incorporate them into the proposal, as deemed appropriate;
- Address in a timely manner the queries that the Project and its partners may have about the content of the proposal.
- Inform the Project in writing and periodically about the activities carried out and results achieved, according to the format to be provided.
- Minimum practical experience of 10 years in matters of crime for acts of corruption, constitutional and / or criminal law.
- Knowledge of the constitutional reforms and secondary legislation that govern the functioning of the National Anticorruption System, including the General Law of the National Anticorruption System, the General Law of Administrative Responsibilities, the Organic Law of the Federal Public Administration, etc.
- Knowledge of the constitutional reforms and secondary legislation that govern the operation of the State Anticorruption System of Nuevo León.
- Have a degree in law, public administration or related subject. Postgraduate studies will be evaluated.
- Ability to work independently and / or as a team, as required, according to established deadlines and in close communication with Project staff.
- Competence to produce high quality written analytical material.
- Availability to move to Monterrey, Nuevo León, if required, to carry out the activities outlined above, which require their physical presence in the state.