Training Agency:United States International Center for Electoral Support
Registration deadline:19 Oct 2018
Training date:05 Nov 2018to10 Nov 2018—
Making an informed decision is critical in serving the public well. Oftentimes election administrators are asked to weigh in on potential legislation or to review procedures and identify areas of opportunity for improvement. They need to be able to objectively proceed with what is best based on sound and quantifiable data available. Supporting something because “it’s always been done that way” or because “it sounds like a good idea” should not be the modus operandi for any election official. It is important to identify data sources, know where and how to collect data or track data, how to use data both for election operational and planning but also as a tool for policy decision making.
The United States International Center for Electoral Support (USICES) programs are uniquely designed training initiatives that hope to provide senior officials of electoral management bodies with expert-based skills necessary to contribute to improving the quality of election administration in their respective countries.
The 5 days training course will highlight the importance of evidence-based election administration, which focuses on collection and analysis of quantitative data to solve problems and identify opportunities for improvement and will engage participants on the following subjects:
- Identify sources of data in the election administration process.
- Examine different methods to obtain data that informs policy decisions and administrative processes based on voting behavior and the architecture of voting systems
- Use data to forecast turnout and other Election Day events to assist with pre-election planning
- Apply data analysis techniques to post-election reviews as part of continuous improvement
- Illustrate the story of an election by presenting data in a meaningful and persuasive way.
The cost for the training is $1,750 and covers, tuition, study materials, breakfast and lunch for the duration of training, ground transportation to and from selected U.S. Federal, States, and County election offices.
To register, applicants must fill the online application form with the required attachments athttp://usices.org/courses/data-analysis-management/