DUTY STATION: Regional Bureau in Bangkok, Thailand or any of WFP’s regional Country Offices in the Asia Pacific region
CONTRACT TYPE: International Regular Consultancy – Level II
DURATION: 3 – 11 months (maximum)
The main role of the Staff Counsellor is to support the Regional Staff Counsellor in providing efficient and
effective psychological support to WFP employees in the Asia Pacific Region. A large emphasis is placed on
extensive engagement with staff and promotion of staff well-being at all time.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive, within delegated authority)
The Staff Counsellor will be working closely with the Regional Staff Counsellor to whom he/she will be
• Provide active psychological support including during emergencies and/or after critical incidents
to ensure continued staff well-being and that managers and staff are provided with the effective
support to manage change.
• Actively engage with management and staff to establish relationships based on trust and
• Provide pre and post deployment briefings to staff deployed to hardship duty stations through
briefings, counselling sessions and other activities to ensure proactive support is extended to
• Work closely and collaboratively with managers at all levels in the Country to ensure a
psychologically healthy work place.
• Maintain and enhance the country based specific content for the Wellbeing app and provide a
range of general and context specific trainings related to resilience, conflict resolution, teambuilding
and cultural sensitivities to improve morale, health, and team dynamics in the country
• Contribute to the design of policies and guidelines, as well as information / booklets to increase
awareness regarding important themes and promote staff wellness.
• Deliver workshops, trainings, and information sessions on a wide range of topics (e.g. stress
management, team-building, problem-solving, conflict resolution, etc) to ensure that staff
regularly receive relevant information and are aware of sources where to find information or
• Support and maintain the WFP Peer Support Volunteer Network (PSV) through training and
• Maintain the highest ethical standards related to the provision of psychological services
consistent with the Wellness Division Ethical Guidelines and Standards of Practice.
• Prepare comprehensive reports, plan budget for missions, trainings and plan and implement
other staff counselling activities to ensure the provision of cohesive counselling services.
• Maintain at all times, high standard of professional ethics and confidentiality consistent with the
Wellness Division Ethical Guidelines and Standards of Practice, actively engage with
management and staff, listen to their concerns, and stay approachable.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
• Advanced university degree (Doctorate, Masters or equivalent) in Clinical or Counselling
Psychology, Psychiatry or demonstrably equivalent studies from a recognized institution.
• Registration as a mental health professional in the country of origin is required.
• Additional training or certification in a broad range of related fields, such as alcohol/substance
abuse, resilience, cross-cultural communication, conflict resolution, mediation, trauma etc. will be
• Minimum five (5) years of progressively responsible professional post graduate experience
relevant to the field is required.
• Experience either working in a hardship location or providing counselling services to staff
working under very difficult and insecure environments is an asset.
Knowledge & Skills:
• Specialist expertise inthe assessment of mental health needs and the assessment of risk.
• Broad knowledge of all facets of counselling services and demonstrated skills to create a trusted
environment in which others can talk confidentially.
• Ability to manage crisis situations which involve diverse actors and stakeholders.
• Ability to identify clients’ needs and suggest appropriate solutions.
• Excellent communication skills (oral, written and presentation)
• Conflict resolution and mediation skills.
• Ability to communicate effectively with people of both genders and diverse national and cultural
• Skills in designing and delivering trainings/information sessions on a number of subjects and
ability to adapt those to different audiences.
• Proficiency in writing and verbal communication in English is required.
How to apply
WFP offers a competitive compensation package that will be determined by the contract type and
selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Please visit the following websites for detailed informationhttps://bit.ly/3aYrBKp
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are
especially encouraged to apply