Organization: UN High Commissioner for Refugees
Background information/Organizational Context
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is mandated to lead and coordinate international protection and response to refugees and to protect other persons of concern. Therefore, UNHCR needs to ensure that the Inter-Agency coordination of the refugee response is effective. Strengthening respective capacity is in particular relevant now with new actors such as development organisations joining the response and in mixed situations with refugees, internally displaced persons, migrants, etc. in the same geographical areas. The UNHCR Regional Office in Dakar (RO Dakar) supports country offices in the coordination of refugee responses and liaises with UN agencies and NGOs at regional level, including in respective regional coordination mechanism. For Nigerian refugees specifically, the office develops Regional Refugee Response Plans (RRRPs).
The coordination of responses to emergencies starts with the preparations for potential refugee influxes. There are several countries in West Africa that are at risk of producing refugees to neighbouring countries, for example, because of strong opposition to governments, struggle for secession of certain regions of the country or contestations of elections. Therefore, RO Dakar supports UNHCR’s country operations and their partners in their efforts to prepare for any refugee influxes, including by establishing Inter-Agency contingency plans.
Under the supervision of the Senior Inter-Agency Coordination Officer, the intern will assist RO Dakar in playing its role in supporting coordination, inter-agency collaboration and emergency preparedness for refugee emergencies. This allows the intern to learn about the work in respective areas.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Assist with the development of Regional Refugee Response Plans as well as respective reporting and in collaboration with Information Management.
· Assist with guiding country offices in the development of refugee chapters of Humanitarian Response Plans.
· Assist the Senior Inter-Agency Coordination Officer Support in fostering good Inter-Agency collaboration and relationships with other UN agencies and NGOs, including with the organisation of inter-agency retreats, regional meetings and missions of senior staff members.
· Learning by working with the Senior Inter-Agency Coordination Officer on the establishment of a coordination toolbox.
· Follow-up with colleagues in the field on the establishment or maintenance of adequate emergency preparedness measures such as risk assessments, early warning mechanism and contingency plans and develop and maintain respective databases.
· Keep track on the availability of resources and buffer stocks in emergency prone areas.
· Contribute to the OCHA-led Inter-agency Emergency Response and Preparedness (EPR) process.
· Assist with capacity building, including the organisation of training on emergency preparedness and coordination.
· Perform other duties as required.
Minimum qualifications required
· Preferably, University degree in Business Administration, Economics, International Relations, Political/Social Sciences, law or related fields.
· Fluent in English and should have basic French
Expected Learning Outcomes
It is expected that the intern, in due course, will develop an understanding of the UNHCR mandate and role in preparing for and coordinating the response to refugee emergencies as well as of its role for other persons of concern. In particular, the intern is expected to develop a much improved understanding of UNHCR policies related to refugee response, gain experience of working with a wide-range of international partners relevant to response to refugees and other persons of concern. It’s also expected that the intern will develop and improve communication and reporting skills. The intern should, at the end of his/her internship, develop significantly the understanding of some of the governing principles of humanitarian response and coordination. In the course of the internship with the Inter-Agency Coordination unit, the intern will also gain experience of administrative responsibilities associated with the tasks undertaken by the unit, including conference/meeting organisation, the preparation of relevant notes/minutes, preparation and application of administrative instructions and appropriate use of professional correspondence within and outside the organisation.
Les dossiers de candidature doivent comprendre :
· Une lettre de motivation et un curriculum vitae
· Les copies scannées des diplômes et attestations
· Les copies scannées des certificats de travail justifiant l’expérience professionnelle
· Une notice personnelle des Nations Unies (P11) à jour, signée et scannée. Document disponible sur ce lien :https://www.dropbox.com/s/f0iu9bjhpj6p2re/UNHCR_Personal_History_Form_Oc…
Les personnes intéressées par cette annonce doivent envoyer leurs candidatures à l’adresse électronique suivante : email@example.com
ou sous pli fermé à l’adresse suivante :
Haut-Commissariat des Nations Unies pour les Réfugiés
Immeuble FAALO Route du King Fahd BP 3125 Dakar – Sénégal