Overview of CTG:
CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have the ability to act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
Overview of the position:
In recognition of recent political & security developments in Libya & related opportunities to enhance stability in Tripoli & avert the further erosion of institutional capacities, & against the backdrop of the UN Secretary General’s decision to move ahead with relocating the UN into Libya, the Govt. of National Accord (GNA) has requested assistance from UN agencies to efforts of the Ministry of Interior, Libyan police & criminal justice institutions to advance security & the rule of law in Libya’s capital.
Based on detailed assessments of the current context and capabilities & in consultation with Libyan stakeholders, priority areas have been identified for programmatic engagement as follows:
- Structure, roles & resourcing of local police & criminal justice institutions clarified & prioritized according to identified needs in Tripoli.
- Effectiveness of law enforcement & prison service delivery in Tripoli improved through provision of training & technical & material assistance.
- Ministry of Interior enabled to better assess & provide feasible demobilization options for members of armed formations.
- Ministry of Interior provided with capacity development & organisational assistance.
In line with UN commitment to integrated assistance & with support from the Global Focal Point arrangement for Police, Justice & Corrections, UN agencies are rolling out a 2-year ‘Policing & Security Joint Program’ (1 October 2017 – 30 September 2019), which will maximize the capabilities of the UN system in support of the GNA’s agenda in these critical areas. This joint program is fully aligned with Security Council mandate & the UN Strategic Framework & leverages our clients operational deployment & footprint inside all Libya as a programmatic entity of the UN country team.
In order to realize the objectives of the program, tour client seeks a capable national consultant is needed to support MOI in the area of strategic planning & Monitoring & Evaluation with the implementation of relevant program activities.
Under the supervision of Project Manager, the National Consultant will provide support to the Libyan Ministry of Interior through Technical Working Groups & relevant departments. He/she shall carry out the following tasks:
- Carry out a functional review & evaluation study to identify the Weaknesses & Strength as well as Threats & opportunities (SWOT) of the existing planning & administrative functions, practices & capabilities of the Ministry of Interior. Studying previous studies & works, organizing workshops, & conducting surveys, shall carry out this function.
- Facilitate the drafting of the proper vision, mission & values for the Ministry with revision & evaluation of the previous attempts in line with the restructuring process under output 1.
- Develop an implementation strategy to transform the ministry to its future vision following a well-designed road map. The strategy shall address:
- Transformational Leadership.
- Capacity building (institutional, human resources as well as technology utilization).
- Good example projects.
- Know how transfer & international cooperation
- Develop a Terms of Reference of a consultancy firm to set up the operational management systems.
- Review & develop proper processes including financial procedures (budget preparation, financial reporting & control, procurement etc.) to support the consultancy firm to establish the operational management system.
- Develop the proper structure to implement the strategy (identify the roles & responsibilities of the different actors e.g., the ministry, police departments, etc.).
- Prepare the follow up plan including KPIs, data collection and data evaluation & reporting.
- Prepare the strategic planning manual describing the processes, follow up procedures & required feedback.
- Support the automation of the strategic planning process, monitoring & follow up using existing commercial software or developing a tailored software as appropriate.
- Support the building of the strategic planning department including the training of the strategy team & providing knowledge transfer.
- Support the building of the budget preparation, implementation & control unit according to standard practices & in coordination with the Ministry of Finance PFM system.
- The consultant shall assure the proper participation of the Ministry staff in the diagnosis, vision development as well as strategy development.
- The Joint Program Manager will carry out Day to day oversight and supervision of the National Consultant. The National Consultant will submit monthly progress reports with detailed time sheets, as well as ad hoc reports following completion of discreet assignments to the Joint Program Manager.
- The consultant shall report the outcome of each stage separately upon completion.
- This role does not have team management responsibility.
- Master’s degree in in Social Sciences, Economics, Law, International Relations or a related field. and/or Bachelor’s degree in in Social Sciences, Economics, Law, International Relations or a related field..
- Minimum of 17 years of demonstrable relevant Management Consultancy experience and/or minimum of 17 years of demonstrable relevant Monitoring & Evaluation experience.
- Minimum of 17 years of experience in Africa (essential).
- Fluency in Arabic (essential) and English (desirable).
The Consultant shall be:
- A Libyan national.
- University Degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent) in Social Sciences, Economics, Law, International Relations or a related field.
- A minimum of 17 years strong experience in public management, knowledge of strategic planning & facilitating & monitoring of development projects, preferably in Libya.
- Good ability to facilitate the strategic planning process through training, workshops & communication.
- Strong experience with demonstrated record of accomplishment in facilitation & monitoring of development projects, with knowledge of implementing M&E mechanisms a distinct advantage.
- Extensive experience liaising with & coordinating international development work between the Libyan govt., bilateral & multilateral donors.
- Fluency in Arabic a must, strong knowledge of English a distinct advantage.
- A time schedule for the execution of each step.
- Methodology of implementation of each step.
- Needed workshops, surveys & tools.
Other relevant information:
- The initial contract will be for a total of 72 working days, spread over a period of 6 months (from 5.10.2018 to 4.4.2019). The consultant is anticipated to be home based in Tripoli Libya & produce all deliverable’s from that location. Subject satisfactory performance, the assignment is expected to be extended through implementation of the project activities related to output 4 & output 1 activity 1.1. The deliverable’s may need more development & follow up actions which require more extension of the contract.
- The National Consultant will be home based in Tripoli for the duration of the assignment.
Candidates interested in applying for this role need to register on CTG website as a candidate and apply for this role using the below link: