Organization: Danish Refugee Council
Support Services Manager
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
In 2003, following the start of foreign military operations in Iraq, DRC became one of the first organisations to provide humanitarian assistance in the country, and now operates in 11 governorates, including Anbar, Baghdad, Babel, Diyala, Duhok, Erbil, Karbala, Kirkuk, Najaf, Ninewa and Salah-al-Din.
About the job
Support Manager will supervise and ensure that Support functions (Finance, Supply Chain, IT, Administration and Human resources) in DRC Tikrit office meet programme requirements and are carried out in an effective and accountable manner according to DRC policies and procedures
The Support Services Manager is part of the Tikrit office management team.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Monitor and support the finance functions at Tikrit Office to make sure that adequate funds are available at all times and that all transactions are properly processed and documented
- Establishing and maintain internal financial procedures compatible with the country’s law, the organization’s internal regulations and donor requirements;
- Work with the Project Managers and budget holders in budget preparations, Budgets’ revisions and realignments
- Ensure Compliance of all processes with DRC Internal Regulations, DRC Operations Handbook, Donor requirements and the local legislation
- Oversee and ensure that payments to suppliers and recurrent expenditures are made in a timely manner with the appropriate authorization
- Assist in the preparation of Grant budgets and budget revisions for new and existing projects for south central Iraq
- Supervision and capacity building of staff in Finance department
Supply Chain Management
- Ensure that logistics and procurement functions are conducted in a timely manner and according to DRC Supply Chain Operations Handbook
- Ensure that inventory and assets lists are maintained and regularly updated in coordination with logistics department in Baghdad
- Oversee Supply Chain functions in the area to ensure their compliance to the various donor rules and regulations and flag irregularities to the Base Manager, Area Manager and Area Support Services Manager.
- Supervise the Tikrit Supply Chain Team, including drawing and implementing action plans for the Supply Chain team.
- In liaison with Country Office, oversee the International Procurement conducted from Tikrit, to ensure compliance to internal procedures as well as donor regulations – as well as on-time delivery of tenders.
Human Resources & Administration Management
- Oversee HR functions ensuring that DRC HR policies and procedures are clearly understood and are followed, including adherence to Iraqi Labour Law
- Conduct on-the-job training to field staff as necessary and induction/training for new staff based in Tikrit
- Build capacities of DRC expatriate and national staff on the Minimum Operating Standards as per Finance, Supply Chain and HR handbooks
- Monitor staff KPIs for directly supervised staff & Conduct staff performance appraisals and training plans when required
- Conduct capacity assessment for the support services team, develop and implement a capacity building plan
- Conduct on job-training to support services team on Finance, Supply Chain, Human Resources and Compliance.
- Train as a DRC Dynamics (ERP System) heavy user and train other users in the area, including budget holders on the Finance and Supply Chain Modules
- This job description is not a definitive task list but has been done to clarify the responsibilities of the employee.
- Reporting to: Base Manager – Tikrit
- Direct reports: Finance Officer, Supply Chain Officer, Administrative Assistant, Human Resource Assistant and cleaners
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in management for humanitarian agencies, preferably International NGOs.
- Ability and willingness to work in a rapid-paced and highly stressful environment
- Proficient computer skills in MS-Excel, MS-Word, Outlook, etc
- Strong financial management skills and experience
- Experience working with Automated Software for Organization’s resources planning
- Understanding of and experience in public procurement principles and practices
- Experience from working in a volatile environment and remote management of staff
- Ability to motivate and guide staff working in a complex conflict environment
- Experience from the Middle Eastern context an advantage
Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
- University degree in Finance, Business Administration, Supply Chain Management or other related discipline
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- English (fluent)
- Arabic (Desirable)
Key stakeholders: (internal and external)
- Base Manager – Tikrit
- Area Manager – South Central
- Area Support Services Manager
- Finance, HR, Admin & IT departments staff
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 6 months
Designation of Duty Station: Tikrit
Start date: 1 December 2018
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on:
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 20-October-2018
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo