The University of California San Francisco (UCSF) is engaged in a five-year Cooperative Agreement with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention-Kenya (CDC-Kenya) to provide technical assistance to the Ministry of Health and its partners for conducting HIV and STI surveillance and survey activities as well as Monitoring and Evaluation of programs. We are recruiting an individual through our affiliated international NGO ‘Global Programs for Research & Training’ to serve as a Surveillance Officer for our projects. This position requires a one-year commitment, with the potential for extension at the end of the period, subject to funding availability.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the Medical Epidemiologist, the surveillance officer will work with the UCSF Surveillance team, the Global Programs in-country Surveillance team to:
· Participate in planning, designing and implementation of surveillance activities in collaboration with the MOH at national and county levels and their partners.
· Participate in the development of protocols, data collection tools, and implementation of surveillance activities and surveys.
· Support data analysis, interpretation, summarization and dissemination of data from surveys and surveillance activities.
· Participate in the creation and implementation of data dissemination tools for routinely collected data including the dashboards for county and national level data.
· Assist in the development, revision, evaluation and updating of surveillance systems as well as standardizing reporting procedures.
· Supports the MOH in data utilization for program improvement and planning.
· A Master’s degree in public health or relevant field is required.
· Minimum of three years of progressive professional experience in public health surveillance. Experience with HIV/STI programs preferred.
· Demonstrated understanding of survey design and basic data analysis
· Experience in writing and updating protocols and procedures relating to surveillance data
collection, storage, reporting, sharing and dissemination.
· Knowledge of concepts of public health, epidemiology and surveillance.
· Demonstrated oral and written communication skills.
· Availability to travel in-country to support MOH and its partners in the planning, implementation and monitoring of surveillance activities.
· Fluency in English and Kiswahili is required.
Other Desired Skills/Qualities:
· Ability to prioritize, work under deadlines, work with minimal supervision and multitask.
· Strong interpersonal skills
· Ability to summarize disparate information in a clear and concise manner
· Working knowledge of statistical software (e.g., STATA, SAS, R, etc.) preferred.
· Excellent computer skills, including word processing and excel
Qualified Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply.
All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed in the minimum requirements above with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
All applications must include the following:
• Cover letter
• Current CV with names, email addresses and telephone numbers for three referees
• Salary history
Applications must be sent by email to HR.Kenya@ucglobalprograms.org with the email subject Surveillance Officer by September 30, 2018.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.