Miyamoto International (“Miyamoto”) is in business to make the world a better, safer place. Miyamoto is a global multi-hazard engineering and disaster risk reduction firm that provides resiliency expertise that sustains industries and safeguards communities around the world. We work with governments, international development banks, including The World Bank and Inter-American Development Bank, UN agencies, NGOs and other partners in the international development and humanitarian assistance sector to help communities build resilience to natural disasters.
Miyamoto is expanding its successful work in Asia under the USAID/BHA-supported Advancing Private Sector Engagement in Disaster Preparedness & Response in Indonesia (“ADVANCE”) program. The program aims to increase private sector disaster preparedness and involvement & coordination in disaster risk management for a reduction in lives lost, people injured and social and economic disruption from an earthquake in Jakarta, Indonesia.
We are currently seeking a Technical Advisor (Civil/Structural Engineer) who will be responsible for the overall timely and quality delivery of all technical program deliverables and activities of this program in Jakarta, Indonesia. This is a unique technical leadership and representational role with great opportunity for program impact.
Given the dynamic operating environment under COVID-19 conditions, it is anticipated that work will take place largely in a remote capacity in the immediate term. However, the ability to easily access key public and private stakeholders in Jakarta in person as needed is critical. Any field activities must also comply with COVID-19 health protocols and coordination.
Responsibilities/Scope of Work
The scope of responsibilities includes but are not limited to:
- Leading on implementation of the programmatic engineering activities, which will include conducting seismic vulnerability assessments of structural and non-structural elements and developing risk mitigation recommendations. Responsible for overall timely and quality delivery for all technical program deliverables and activities of this program;
- Ability to engage and coordinate with key stakeholders and beneficiaries to deliver on technical program objectives;
- Leading on developing technical content and delivering trainings and workshops as determined by the program (combination of in-person and remote trainings & workshops are anticipated)
- Leading on collecting data for required technical activities;
- Ability and willingness to work openly and collaboratively with technical teams and professionals from other disciplines;
- High-level technical (engineering) representational duties with key government, private sector and other key stakeholders;
- Assist the program team in preparing materials for the dissemination of best practices and instruments resulting from program activities, as well as monitoring and evaluation.
Successful candidates will have demonstrated technical engineering (structural and earthquake) leadership experience in Indonesia working successfully with and leading various aspects of project management with international development & humanitarian assistance donors. **
- An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent preferred) in a relevant discipline such as structural/civil/earthquake engineering.
Knowledge and Experience
- Lead on all technical and engineering project activities and deliverables in Indonesia as a part of this program. A minimum of 12-15 years of related professional experience.
- Knowledge of building typology found in Indonesia and associated earthquake vulnerabilities for each building type.
- Practical knowledge of structural and earthquake engineering (e.g. Lateral Force-Resisting Systems for buildings, lateral load path, building plan and vertical irregularities, seismicity and soil profiles in Jakarta, etc.).
- Experience with post-earthquake reconnaissance and assessing earthquake damage to buildings and other structures.
- Knowledge of earthquake vulnerability to non-structural elements in a building and practical experience in mitigating risk to these elements (e.g. ceilings, interior partitions, stairs, mechanical and electrical equipment, piping, ductwork, fire protection systems, etc.).
- Extensive and current knowledge of relevant technical and analytical tools and disaster risk management as it relates to building vulnerability assessments and retrofitting.
- Familiarity with various international principles and standards for building vulnerability assessment, seismic retrofitting and upgrade.
- Exceptional leadership and project management skills, including technical work planning & report writing.
- Ability to conceptualize and deliver effective technical capacity development activities in Indonesia, both in person and adapted to deliver remotely through web platforms.
- Ability to anticipate, analyze and articulate project issues, diagnose problems and propose reliable solutions appropriate for the Indonesian context.
- Highly organized, accountable, responsive and with the ability to work with remote teams across time zones and geographies.
- Highly developed interpersonal and leadership skills
- Professional fluency in both English & Indonesian (reading, writing and presentation skills)
- Past experience working on disaster risk reduction with international development donors in Indonesia highly desired
How to apply
To apply, please submit the following documents by Friday, December 18, 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover Letter, emphasizing your relevant qualifications for this position.
Please also indicate Technical Advisor, ADVANCE Indonesia in the subject line.