DanChurchAid (DCA) invites applications for an experienced Technical Advisor for our Iraq Programme. This is a non-family position.
The DCA Iraq programme is a relatively new programme starting to build its footprint in the country and has currently over 19 DCA staff and works with 2 national partners. The programme is comprised of a portfolio of activities including capacity building of a national Mine Action NGO, Humanitarian Mine Action, psychosocial support, and protection related activities.
The main responsibility of the EOD/IEDD Technical Advisor is to conduct explosive hazard clearance activities; train, manage, mentor and supervise search and clearance national teams in Iraq. You will work in a potentially hostile and arduous environment, where there is a need to demonstrate a calm, positive and self-motivated attitude. Conditions such as these require a level head, attention to detail, and an understanding of the humanitarian INGO context. The Technical Advisor (TA) for the DCA Iraq Programme, will report directly to the HMA Operations Manager (OM).
The main duties relating to this position are as follows:
- Conduct explosive hazard clearance activities as required, including render safe procedures of all found explosive hazards in accordance with DCA SOPs;
- Train and capacity build national staff in all areas related to Improvised Explosive Device Disposal (IEDD), Clearance, Search, NTS/ TS, and BAC;
- Supervise, manage and mentor search/clearance teams;
- Work closely and in coordination with IHSCO Risk Education teams; ;
- Operate in accordance with DCA SOPs; assist the OM in SOP revisions and with the development, implementation and adaptation on new SOPs and new technologies.
- Provide technical oversight of field operations of the component for which you are responsible, including training, safety and security, daily operational planning and implementation, and the direction and discipline of locally employed operational and administrative personnel under your control;
- Conduct QA/QC of programme survey, training and clearance activities and provide feedback and constructive recommendation to teams, other TAs and OM;
- Conduct training and oversight of non-technical and technical survey teams in suspected hazard areas in accordance with DCA SOPs.
- Conduct analysis of IED threat and trend tracking as required.
- Prepare and submit all relevant reports, data and documentation in a timely manner, using relevant forms, including IMSMA forms, as and when appropriate;
- Work closely and in coordination with the GIS Technician and the Emergency Medical Technician;
- Represent DCA in relevant coordination meetings;
- Stay informed and current on new techniques, manuals and devices relating to Humanitarian Mine Action.
- If appointed by the OM, take part in an accident/incident board of inquiry;
Additional responsibilities include:
- Provide operational input to proposals and reports, and ensure all technical reporting is conducted in a timely manner and to a high standard;
- Represent DCA in relevant coordination bodies in Iraq as required by the OM;
- Closely coordinate with the cluster and other mine action actors to ensure DCA Clearance activities and interventions are coordinated and timely as required by the OM;
- Contribute to culture of excellence, continuous improvement and performance optimization across all projects;
- Work in accordance with DCA values and humanitarian principles;
- Maintain effective working relationship with other members of the programme;
- Being a role model for diversity and inclusion, as well as a positive role model for contributing to the team spirit.
- Actively support in the mainstreaming of gender in all mine action activities.
Applicants must have the following qualifications and experience
- Military Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) and Improvised Explosive Device Disposal (IEDD) qualifications or International Mine Action Standard (IMAS) equivalent (EOD/IEDD 3+), with certificates;
- Knowledge and experience of EOD, IED and ERW clearance methodologies;
- Knowledge and experience of search methodologies and ground sign awareness in IED contaminated areas, both urban and rural;
- Instructor or mentor qualifications a plus; experience training and mentoring national staff in EOD, IEDD and Search techniques, including preparation and execution of structured training courses to IMAS standards;
- Previous experience in Humanitarian Mine Action organizations as an International Search Advisor is desirable, including knowledge of IMSMA forms
- Strong leadership, team building and communication skills.
- Understanding of the humanitarian principles linked to NGO field and operations contexts;
- Experience working in remote and insecure field locations;
- Flexibility and cultural awareness and sensitivity;
- Regional experience is desirable
- Computer literacy essential including proficiency in Word, Power Point and Excel.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential. Knowledge of Arabic would be advantageous.
- 12 -month contract;
- A competitive salary package;
- 30 days of paid annual leave;
- A generous R&R allowance;
- Insurance as per industry standards;
- An interesting and challenging experience addressing humanitarian needs.
All qualified candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, religion or ethnic affiliation are encouraged to apply for the vacancy. Only online applications consisting as a minimum of a CV and a cover letter will be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Closing date: Friday, 19 February 2021. Interviews are expected to be held on a rolling basis, as suitable candidates are identified. DCA reserves the right to select a candidate prior to the closing date.
Everyone applying for a job with DCA must be ready to comply with our Staff Policy on Prevention of Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Harassment, Child Safeguarding and Counter Terrorism policies.
DCA conducts an anti-terror check as part of the recruitment process. It is a prerequisite that you can pass this check and maintain this status throughout your employment with us.
How to apply
Only applications uploaded on our website are taken into consideration. Therefore, please use this link: Technical Advisor – DCA Iraq (danchurchaid.org)