Organization: Management Sciences for Health
MSH is seeking a Technical Director for a potential five-year CDC project ‘Improving Laboratory Capacity and Quality in the Scale-up of HIV Diagnosis, Care, Treatment, and Monitoring in Malawi under the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR)’. The goal of the project is to strengthen the lab capacity and quality to achieve measurable outcomes that directly contribute to the achievement and maintenance of HIV epidemic control in Malawi.
The Technical Director is responsible for oversight, coordination and supervision of the project’s activities; provides conceptual development of programmatic designs/changes; assists in evaluation of program effectiveness in meeting stated objectives and provides overall management and coordination of activities of the project. The Technical Director will work in close collaboration with the Project Director and the technical staff of the program to provide strategic input to the program. In collaboration with the M&E Officer, s/he will monitor program results and be responsible for the quality and accuracy of technical interventions and results.
The Technical Director also serves as a technical advisor for the project. Priorities of the project are:
- over 95% of patients have a VL/EID taken and acted upon;
- use of QA/QI processes to monitor performance;
- build the TB/HIV laboratory capacity improves the TB/HIV diagnostic;
- ensure 90% of molecular laboratories reach ISO laboratory accreditation;
- build laboratory capacity for HIV co-morbidities including NCDs;
- and support laboratory capacity in surveillance.
Qualifications and Experience
Required Minimum Education:
- Master’s in laboratory science, infectious diseases, microbiology, public health or an equivalent field. Candidates with a first degree and at least 10 years’ experience will be considered.
Required Minimum Experience:
- Seven (7) years senior level management experience in the design, implementation, and management of programs of similar size, complexity, and setting.
- Experience working in/with PEPFAR programs. Experience working with WHO, GFATM, CHAI and other key agencies in Malawi is an advantage.
- Experience with implementing laboratory information systems.
- Familiarity with and experience in implementing local and national laboratory quality assurance and accreditation systems, including the ISO accreditation standards and accreditation process.
- Familiarity with and experience of providing technical assistance to Ministries of Health and their laboratories supporting the diagnosis, treatment and monitoring of HIV/AIDS in developing countries.
- Extensive experience working in Public Health Laboratory service delivery in Malawi.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Demonstrated leadership and management abilities.
- Ability to supervise, mentor and coach project and government staff.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of the health care delivery systems and structures in Malawi.
- Knowledge and recent experience in management and evaluation of current and new technologies, with particular reference to those required for scale-up of HIV programs to reach the 90-90-90 targets to help end the epidemic and TB control program as per the End TB strategy. Experience (explicitly demonstrated in your CV and cover letter) in at least attributes listed below in countries in resource constrained settings:
- Setting up new laboratories with proven expertise in establishing and/or monitoring laboratory bio-safety in a BSL3 containment and routine maintenance schemes into country laboratory networks for laboratory equipment.
- Supporting laboratory quality management systems and accreditation.
- Developing HIV/ TB laboratory networks (mapping, designing, and strengthening in resource constrained settings).
- Strengthening laboratory management information systems or introducing digital health solutions for laboratories.
- Supporting development of HIV and TB-specific national laboratory strategic plans and its implementation.
- Monitoring and evaluation with high level of proficiency in relevant computer applications, particularly Excel.
- Implementation of research.
- Knowledge of and experience in laboratory capacity building, monitoring and supervision.
- Good written and spoken communications skills in English.
- May require periodic trips to partner’s sites for mentorship, supervision, conferences and/or off site meetings within Malawi.
- Keyboard use, pulling drawers, lifting papers <10 lbs.