Background:FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
FHI 360 is currently seeking qualified candidates for the position ofTechnical Writerfor an anticipated five-year PEPFAR/CDC funded project in Malawi whose goal is to strengthen health information systems at the facility, district, and central levels to improve the quality, integration, and effectiveness of service delivery across care points. It will build on existing HIS infrastructure by providing reliable data for both district and national reporting, as well as contributing to a reliable National Health Data Repository that will support surveillance and epidemiological activities.
Position Summary:Reporting to M&E Director, theTechnical Writerwill lead the development of system user and technical documentation to support EMR deployment and prepare system instruction manuals, and other supporting documents to communicate complex and technical information more easily. S/He will be responsible to develop, gather, and disseminate technical information among the program team, end users to inform system improvements and deployment. S/he will also research on EMR development to inform drafting of instructional documents in simple language with minimal technical jargon for ease of understanding. Applying the knowledge of the user of the systems, she/he will serve as part of a team conducting usability studies to help improve the design and development and/or improvement of system. The position will be based in Lilongwe. Malawian nationals and residents are encouraged to apply.
Essential Job Functions/Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the process of determining the needs of end users of technical documentation;
- Responsible for creating operating instructions, how-to manuals, assembly instructions, and “Frequently Asked Questions” pages to help technical support staff, end users, and other users within the project;
- Work closely with technical staff to design appropriate technical documents to include photographs, drawings, diagrams, animations, and charts that increase users’ understanding of systems and functions;
- Design, develop, and implement project documentation standards;
- Write status reports and supervise and participate in project activities;
- Write technical materials such as equipment and systems manuals, appendices, or operating and maintenance instructions;
- Organize and write supporting documents for products to support deployment and use of systems into clear and simple language including directing translation into local languages
- Lead the periodic collection and analysis of usability feedback from users, designers and MOH and CDC;
- Revise documents in a timely manner as new issues and releases arise;
- Determine the needs of end-users of technical documentation;
- Work with software developers to manage the flow of information among project workgroups during development and testing;
- Ensure the documentation is up to-date with national and industry standards; and
- Support publication of journal articles on program work.
Minimum Requirements and Desired Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in public health evaluation or Social Sciences, Statistics, Technical Communication, English or Related Field.
- Statistics or any related field.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience as a Technical Writer preferably for a health program-, preferably HIV/AIDS prevention projects and civil registration.
- Experience participating in cross-functional Agile development teams.
- Proven understanding of Agile practices including sprint planning, backlog refinement, prioritization, scrum, and retrospectives.
- Demonstrated good understanding of complex information and ability to communicate the information to people with diverse professional backgrounds.
- Demonstrated strong and excellent writing skills in English and organizational skills.
- Online publication skills, information management and research skills.
- Knowledgeable of the latest international technical documentation standards and practice.
- Demonstrated experience in the design of technical documents.
- Experience in Africa and preferably in Malawi.
- Strong familiarity with CDC and/or PEPFAR HIS programming a plus.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through acompetitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please clickhereto continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.
FHI 360 is anequal opportunity and affirmative action employer.FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.