Organization:International Rescue Committee
The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers help to people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. IRC is currently working in Somalia, supporting communities affected by disasters like drought to recover from shocks by implementing essential lifesaving and resilience projects in Galmudug and Puntland states and Banadir region.
The IRC is a member of the Building Resilient Communities in Somalia (BRCiS) Consortium and implements multi-year Resilience Programs in Somalia. Through the BRCiS consortium, the IRC is currently implementing BRCiS DEVCO projects funded by the European Commission in Galmudug. The overall objective is to improve the resilience of rural communities and IDP households in Somalia. The Specific objective is to reduce vulnerability and enhance livelihoods in rural Somali and internally displaced communities in Somalia. The project has different layers of interventions necessary in building communities capacities to shocks and stresses in a fragile contexts. Arrange of activities ranging from Recovery, rehabilitation and development of sustainable livelihood initiatives are implemented to respond to community needs and building their capacities to sustain these achievements.
Through Community request, the IRC is planning to train 20 youth on beekeeping in Dhusamareb town; Galmudug capital city. Beekeeping is emerging as successful agricultural practice for local people in rural areas of Somalia and has been found to play a major role in environmental conservation. Beekeeping in Somalia is under developed with majority beekeepers still using traditional system of beekeeping. They as well lack basic skills on bee management, honey harvesting, processing, and handling. Majority of the beekeepers have no access to extension services and marketing of products and have no training on effective preservation, processing, transportation, management and marketing of bee products.
The IRC therefore plans to train 20 youth on modern beekeeping to provide income opportunities for youth from poor households, increase youth employment and self-engagements and consequently improve other aspects like security and social cohesion.
The IRC is therefore looking for an experienced and reputable trainer to conduct technical beekeeping training for 20 youth in Dhusamareb for one months.
OBJECTIVE OF THE CONSULTANCY
The general objective of the consultancy is to Train and enhance youth skill set in beekeeping and design modern beekeeping kit for the trainees
- To train 20 youth members on effective equipment handling, bee management, honey harvest and processing.
- Provide modern beekeeping equipment and demonstration sessions for effective usage for safety and improve honey production line.
- Create linkage between honey producers and potential markets through consumer education sessions and product advertisements.
- To conduct continuous monitoring and evaluation of the effectiveness of the beekeeping initiative and its acceptance to the local population.
The training will utilize a wide range of methods blended with demonstration and practical sessions to ensure knowledge is imparted, learners remain interested and enhances knowledge retention for participants with low literacy skills and relevant to the context.
The training organization will therefore consider different methods to improve the capacity and skill of trainees through:
*Slide shows and videos
*Questions and answers
*Individual & group exercises
*Field visits and tours
- 20 local youth be trained for beekeeping tasks including bee management, effective handling of equipment and processing and preserving bee bye-products
- 20 local youth provided with modern beekeeping equipment and trained them on usage and handling
- Increased youth employment and self-engagement and as well improve local youth livelihoods
- Expansion of local and external markets for honey products
- Increase knowledge of consumers on honey and other bee bye-products
SCOPE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The local consultant will be responsible in preparing training programme on beekeeping for the trainees and conduct trainings, particularly:
- Organize class lectures on different topics of beekeeping management and development
- Arrange tours and visits from different beekeeping fields
- Organize practical works on different beekeeping fields
- Management of bees in different seasons: –
*Process of pollen
*Process of Royal jelly
*Process of Honey
*Pest and Diseases of Bees
- Based on the context, develop and design beekeeping kit package for trainees
The consultant is expected to:
- Submit an inception report detailing training content and methodology for the training
- Share detailed training modules and curriculum
- Field level theoretical training for 20 youth
- Develop BoQs for beekeeping kit/equipment package for trainees
- Organize practical sessions in the Final report on implemented works
- University degree in agriculture/apiculture or related field such as zoo technician, veterinary and etc.
- At least 4 years of working experience and qualification with background on apiculture related activities.
- Experience in facilitating trainings on beekeeping and participated in study tours and well aware about the beekeeping and apiculture in Somalia.
- Experience on marketing and promotions of beekeeping products;
- Competent and possess practical skills in bee handling abilities in all situations, colony reading, Preparation and assessment of honey bee products and Disease diagnosis and knowledge of the correct remedies
- Excellent communication and writing skills in English language and Somali.
Qualified applicants who meet the above requirements are invited to send cover letters, CVs, Academic/Professional Certificates and copies of passports as well as 3 referees to the following email:firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the consultancy title on the subject line.
Deadline for receiving applications:October 31st 2018.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Gender Equality:IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.”
IRC is an equal opportunity employer.