TERMS OF REFERENCE
Vacancy reference no.:
Place of performance:
up to 6 months (@10days/month)
OVERVIEW OF CTG GLOBAL
CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have the ability to act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
OVERVIEW OF THE POSITION
The project ‘Strengthening Local capacities for Resilience and Recovery’ is a three-year initiative aiming at supporting local authorities in Libya to respond to the many conflict and human mobility induced challenges – by strengthening the local resilience and recovery mechanisms – that impact negatively people access to essential services, sources of jobs and livelihoods, the social cohesion and security of communities.
The project is built around 3 outputs:
(1) Better provision of basic services at local level and increase access for most vulnerable groups from host communities – including Internally Displaced Populations (IDPs) and returnees – as well as migrants and refugees is ensured;
(2) Local authorities and administrations are supported in fulfilling their role and responsibilities with a focus on enforcing local stability and community security
(3) Local economic recovery/development, including job creation and livelihoods are supported.
The Project was requested by our main partner, Ministry of Local Governance, to provide all documents in Arabic. Thus, it was decided to recruit a translator to respond to all projects needs in Libya and to ensure all official documents, monthly reports and updated matrix of infrastructure are translated in Arabic in a swift manner, enhancing the speed and effectiveness of the project team, as perceived by the national counterparts.
The overall objective of the consultancy will be to provide timely and accurate translation services to facilitate access to all project related documents by the MOLG and to help in smooth implementation of the project by providing simultaneous translation when needed.
The Translator’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Simultaneous or consecutive interpretation from Arabic to English and vice versa during official meetings, consultations, workshops, and training sessions during official missions including field trips. (Flexibility to travel locally will be needed since the project is working in several municipalities)
- Written translation services including translation of documents, reports, presentations, manuals, documents, matrix of infrastructure and rehabilitation, studies, and/or reports from Arabic to English and vice versa.
- Ensuring timely delivery of translated and edited materials, including making necessary correctios for changes required by the organization and re-submitting edited text within agreed timeframe
- Ensuring quality check and proofreading of texts when needed (Making sure that no typographic errors are left in the final text, accuracy of Arabic language in terms of vocabulary, syntax, expression and grammar)Deliverables:ActivitiesEstimated Duration to Complete
- Under the overall guidance of the Project Manager provide Written translation services from English to Arabic and vice versa whenever requested by the project.
- Provide Simultaneous & Consecutive translation during workshops, conferences, official meetings with municipalities, Ministry of Local Governance and line Ministries, other partners, etc.
- Ensure Proofreading when requested
During the whole period of the contract (10 days per month for a period of 6 months)
Reporting to the Project Manager
This role doesn’t require management field.
§ Bachelor’s degree in Translation, Linguistics, Political Science, International relations or related field with a minimum of 7 years’ experience (or a minimum of 10 years relevant work experience with no university degree).
§ Minimum of 7 years of demonstrable relevant Translation experience.
§ Minimum of 7 years of experience in Africa (desirable).
§ Fluency in Arabic and English are essential.
Solid understanding of the Libyan social context and awareness of the Libyan political environment
Good IT, writing and typing skills
Excellent knowledge of Arabic and English is required
Other relevant information:
Duration of Work
The contract will be for a period of 6 months, starting on 15 October 2018. The consultant is expected to spend 60 days in Tripoli during which he might be requested to travel locally for short periods.
Duty Station and management arrangements
The consultant will not be provided with office space, unless otherwise requested for specific assignments, and is expected to work from home for the duration of the assignment.
The expert will work under the overall guidance of SLCRR Project Manager and will submit end of monthly progress reports with detailed timesheets to the project manager to be reviewed than submitted by the consultant to CTG.
Interested candidates should create a profile and apply on CTG Global careers website (click here). Please refer to the vacancy number: VAC-1862.Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.