This one-year fellowship program is offered to mid-career professionals working at the policy level who have a record of leadership and a commitment to public service. Fellows are based at leading American universities for ten-months to pursue self-designed programs to include independent study, coursework, and an internship with an organization in their field of expertise.
The Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program brings accomplished professionals from developing countries to the United States at a midpoint in their careers for a one-year program of non-degree study and related professional experiences. The program seeks to foster an exchange of knowledge and mutual understanding between American citizens and their professional counterparts from South Sudan.
Successful applicants will be placed at participating universities in the United States from August 2021 – June 2022. Humphrey program is classified as a non-degree program by the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). Humphrey Fellows cannot transfer from non-degree status to degree status under any circumstances.
The Humphrey Fellowship provides:
- Round-trip economy international travel for the grantee.
- A monthly maintenance allowance and funding for books and professional activities.
- Tuition and university fees.
- Limited accident and sickness insurance for the grantee only.
Fellowships are available in the following fields:
- Sustainable Development
- Agricultural and Rural Development
- Economic Development/Finance and Banking
- Natural Resources, Environmental Policy, and Climate Change
- Urban and Regional Planning
- Democratic Institution Building
- Law and Human Rights
- Public Policy Analysis and Public Administration
- Trafficking in Persons Policy and Prevention
- Technology Policy and Management
- Human Resource Management
- Educational Administration, Planning and Policy
- Higher Education Administration
- Teaching of English as a Foreign Language
- Public Health
- Public Health Policy and Management
- HIV/AIDS Policy and Prevention
Applicants for the Humphrey Fellowship must meet all of the following criteria:
- Must have completed a 4 years university degree program to qualify for participation in U.S. graduate study programs.
- Have five (5) years of substantial professional experience in their field,
- Have demonstrated leadership qualities and a record of public service, and
- Be fluent in English.
For more information, visit https://ss.usembassy.gov/education-culture/hubert-h-humphrey-fellowship-program/