Course(s) Offered:Any field (social innovation, entrepreneurship)
Course Level:Graduate (MBA, MPhil,Phd)
Provider:Bertha Foundation, University of Cape Town
Country to Study in:South Africa
The Bertha Foundation, in partnership with the Bertha Centre for Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship at the University of Cape Town (UCT) Graduate School of Business (GSB), offers theBertha Center Scholarshipsfor African students in any field of study.
The Bertha Foundation supports activists, storytellers and lawyers across the world, who are working to bring about social and economic justice, and human rights for all. TheBertha Scholars at the GSBare part of this global Bertha Foundation network. The scholarship only applies to the MBA, MPhil orPhDstudies at the UCT GSB.
Candidates for theBertha Scholarshipmust be African citizens, and eligible candidates who meet the admissions requirements of the university are encouraged to apply.
The Bertha scholarship is offered to innovators, entrepreneurs, out-of-the-box thinkers, system-entrepreneurs, change-makers, social activists and cross-disciplinary candidates from any field provided they are actively involved in theexploration of social, environmental and/or economic justice using innovative approaches.
In doing this, the Centre aims to diversify the student body at the GSB, by enabling scholars who might not have been able to study at the institution, and investing in their journey to increase their social impact as their career evolves.
You are eligible for a Bertha Scholarship:
- if you meet the admissionrequirements of the universityfor your selected course of study.
- if you are anAfrican citizenor permanent resident.
- if you are anentrepreneurwho has started or worked with a social/green/entrepreneurial innovative idea that seeks social and/or economic change.
- if you are anintrapreneurwho has worked on advancing social justice and pioneering inclusive opportunities through social innovation within an organisation.
- if you demonstrate strongleadershipqualities within your field
Citizens, or permanent residents, of African countries
Bertha Centre for Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Graduate School of Business (GSB), University of Cape Town (UCT), Cape Town; South Africa
Fields of study
MBA (both full-time and modular) or MPhil in Inclusive Innovation
Number of awards
Not specified by sponsor
Covers whole duration of your course program
The Bertha Scholarship covers full or partial costs of the MBA (both full-time and the modular programme) and MPhil in Inclusive Innovation programmes at the University of Cape Town’s Graduate School of Business.
The scholarship entails joining an illustrious cohort of alumni, and a thriving community of dynamic change makers. Being a scholar is about joining a collective, as much as it is about propelling your own professional and personal trajectory.
Method of Application
If you are interested, follow these steps to apply:
- Submit your MBA or MPhil in Inclusive Innovationprogramme applicationbefore the respective deadlines to the GSB. See UCT GSB application processeshere.
- Submit theBertha Scholarship Application Formwhich should include:
- Your UCT GSB application number received from the GSB Admissions Office
- Your contact details and your CV uploaded.
- Your answers to the three essay questions, which shows how the degree programme at this stage in your career will help to accelerate impact in your area of work/interest and how it will contribute to society as a whole.
- Your short [no longer than four minute] video.
You will only be able to take up the Bertha Scholarship if you are successfully admitted to the UCT GSB programme for which you have applied.
Your submission will be assessed and you will only be contacted if you have been selected for an interview with the scholarship selection panel.
It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) to read the FAQs, and for complete information on this scholarship.
Applications for the 2019 Scholarship open 1 August and close31st October 2018
TheBertha Centre for Social Innovation and Entrepreneurshipwas established as a specialised unit at theUCT Graduate School of Business(GSB) in 2011, in partnership with theBertha Foundation, a family foundation that works with inspiring leaders who are catalysts for social and economic change. Through this partnership (Foundation & Centre) the GSB strengthens its commitment to transformation and equality and UCT’s strategic goal to address key development challenges facing Africa.
Application Deadline:31 October 2018
Open to International Applicants:No (ONLY Africans)