Full description of assignment:https://www.unv.org/calls/SDNR000298-7011
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
Under the direct supervision of Head of Sub-office,the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
• Draft fact sheets, thematic notes, situation reports, briefing notes, background material, talking points, press releases and articles.
• Assist the implementation of a strategic outreach to key target groups that generates moral, political and financial support for UNHCR’s operations from external partners (e.g. the interested public, governments, partners, corporations, VIPs, the media, academia and refugee groups).
• Assist in the dissemination of information to internal and external audiences, by keeping mailing lists up to date, and disseminating key documentation and information to support the country operation and corporate communication processes and priorities.
• Support the organization of events and visits to field operations and mainstream AGD standards as well as promotion as volunteerism for development wherever possible
• Support the implementation of physical UNHCR visibility.
• Organize input for digital content (including coordinating multi-media production) for UNHCR’s and volunteer partner websites and social media platforms
• Assist with networking and relationship building with individuals and local organizations dedicated to volunteer work for refugees and IDPs as well as with the engagement of influencers such as VIPs by providing relevant information on UNHCR operations, organizing briefings, bilateral meetings and responding to relevant queries.
• Consolidate information on UNHCR’s country operations and identify appropriate messages for campaigns and joint messaging with other agencies, including UNV.
• Propose and develop, in close coordination with the Head of Sub-office, innovative outreach formats, especially targeting local volunteer initiatives and other civil society actors in the new era of Sudan.
• Keep abreast with all developments in the assigned area and maintain working relationships with NGOs, UN agencies and government as appropriate;
• Support Head of Sub-Office, including communication with partners, planning meetings, setting agendas, preparing talking points and presentations, and taking minutes of meetings;
• Draft donor reports and briefing notes, and provide inputs to response plans and strategies, and other key external documents;
• Assist in gathering, consolidating and analysing inter-agency data and information on indicators in all sectors to support gap identification and prioritization for the Inter-Agency State Coordination Mechanism;
• Assist in presenting accurate and attractive data and information management products;
• Liaise with technical sector colleagues (Protection, Education, WASH, Health and Nutrition, Livelihoods, Programme, Supply, and other units) on operational or strategic issues as required, and for reporting and presentations;
• Meet and brief visitors on UNHCR and inter-agency activities, where necessary together with appropriate specialist/ programme officers;
• Perform other related duties as required.
Furthermore, UN Volunteers are required to:
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day);
- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
- Reflect on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in ongoing reflection activities;
- Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
- Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
- Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
Required degree level:Bachelor degree or equivalent
Education – Additional Comments:
Type of Degree: Journalism, Communications, International Relations, Political Science, or other relevant field Journalism.
Required experience:24 Months
A minimum 2 years of experience of external relations, communications, media relations or reporting, ideally in an international setting.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
- Arabic(Optional), Level – Working Knowledge
Area of expertise:Public information and reporting
Area of expertise details:
- Excellent writing skills in English.
- Experience drafting a variety of reports and preparing products for an external audience.
- Profficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Familiarity with Microsoft Outlook, and Abode Photoshop, Illustrator or InDesign, or in online communication is an asset.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to work under tight timelines.
- Strong inter-personal skills, including managing multiple stakeholders.
- Ability to adapt to rapidly-changing operational pirorities.
- Previous experience working with refugees or in the humanitarian field is desireable.
- Previous experience working in an international context is desireable.
Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Working in Teams
How to apply
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First register your profile athttps://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup.
Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ athttps://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypageand click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First update your profile athttps://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile.
Then go to ‘My Page’ athttps://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypageand click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.