Full description of assignment:https://www.unv.org/calls/USAR000062-6831
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
- Conduct notifiable disease surveillance and investigations on severe respiratory disease and COVID-19, including implementation of disease control measures, for UN staff members in duty stations around the world.
- Provide technical guidance and subject matter expertise to DHMOSH – Public Health while supporting the development and implementation of the communicable disease surveillance system to detect and identify diseases impacting human and animal populations rapidly.
- Provide technical guidance and subject matter expertise to support the follow-up, reporting, and data entry of communicable and other diseases of public health importance by following established regulatory requirements.
- Prescribe post-exposure prophylaxis, immunizations, and other medical interventions to control the spread of communicable diseases, radiation, and toxins.
- Serve as a medical and epidemiology subject matter expert to educate and counsel UN staff and UN healthcare providers regarding communicable and non-communicable diseases, immunizations, and other public health issues.
- Provide technical guidance and subject matter expertise to DHMOSH regarding planning for public health emergencies, including disease outbreaks and emergencies.
- Provide subject matter expertise to support the development of procedures or policies related to the control of communicable disease, and to inform study design for epidemiology and preparedness studies and exercises.
- Provide or assure the provision of medical guidance, expertise, and technical assistance to DHMOSH, the UN, as well as the Agencies, Funds, and Programmes.
Required degree level:Master degree or equivalent
Education – Additional Comments:
- Doctor of Medicine with at least one (1) of the following:
- Master’s Degree in Public Health
- Master’s Degree in Epidemiology
Required experience:12 Months
- Experience working in a large health-based international organization is an asset.
- Experience working in the field of public health and/or infectious diseases is required.
- Experience managing disease surveillance, investigation of reportable diseases, and disease outbreaks.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision is required.
- At least eight years of progressive professional work experience in public health with a particular focus on infectious diseases.
- Three (3) or more years of supervisory experience
- Experience working with the UN system is an added advantage
- Prior experience in review of technical public health and infectious disease documents is desirable.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Area of expertise:Public health
Area of expertise details:
- Thorough knowledge of disease surveillance and investigation methods; public health principles and processes; infectious disease prevention and control.
- Experience working in disease surveillance and Infection Prevention and conducting infection prevention assessments in healthcare settings.
- Experience educating health care professionals on recommendations for infection control practices and policies.
- Experience with communicable disease case investigation and disease control measures.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and carry out assignments and responsibilities reliably in a thorough, accurate, and timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to clearly and effectively communicate orally and in writing with Senior Management, healthcare providers, and the general public for the purposes of relaying time-sensitive information and making presentations, proposals, and recommendations.
- Demonstrated ability to provide consultation and clinical support to health care providers and the community.
- Demonstrated ability to work without on-site supervision with culturally diverse populations.
- Able and available to respond as directed in the event of a public health emergency. May be subject to working non-standard hours or days based on need.
- Fluency in Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word and Excel)
- Languages Required:English required; French is highly desirable
- Another UN working language is an asset.
Accountability, Client Orientation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Professionalism, Working in Teams
How to apply
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First, register your profile athttps://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ athttps://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypageand click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First, update your profile athttps://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ athttps://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypageand click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.