Full description of assignment:https://www.unv.org/calls2COGR000084-6544
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
The UN Volunteer Technical Officer – Environmental Health Promotion will:
- collaborate with and provide Member States with up-to-date information to strengthen the development and implementation of regional strategies, norms, standards and guidelines that improve and resolve environmental health issues such as sound management of hazardous chemicals, including pesticide used in public health, with special emphasis on children’s environmental health, poison management and reducing unnecessary exposure to toxic chemicals in air, soil, crops and water, emergency preparedness and response to chemical incidents and the management of hazardous chemical and bio medical wastes.
- proactively participate in supporting development of national chemical profiles, identifying country needs and support the planning and implementation of environmental health protection programmes and projects that address weaknesses and ensure full collaboration and efficient implementation of cross-cutting activities, with particular attention to safe food and drinking-water, adequate sanitation and hygiene promotion; preventing risks associated with exposure to toxic chemicals, hazardous waste and air pollution; and mitigating and adapting to the human health impacts of climate change.
- be actively engaged with the monitoring and evaluation of environmental health protection programmes and projects to determine progress against implementation targets and plans, effectiveness and specific vulnerabilities and propose remedial actions and innovative solutions to identified constraints; support preparation of national, regional and global reports to share successes, lessons learnt and best practices as an authoritative reference to make policy decisions and resource allocation, in addition to raising awareness of environmental health threats brought on by shifting patterns of disease, extreme weather events, the degradation of air quality, food and water supplies and sanitation.
- fully participate in the identification of country capacity gaps to improve existing procedures and develop innovative approaches for capacity building based on continuous review and monitoring of the environmental health situation and on environmental health protection research results and support the planning and management of workshops, seminars and training to strengthen health staff and Member State skill-sets.
- support the development of strategic partnerships, including drafting proposals, to increase advocacy and resource mobilization to sustain CHE activities and interventions that contribute to comprehensive approaches to promoting health protection within the context of sustainable development.
- perform any other related responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor, including replacing and backstopping for others as required.
Required degree level:Bachelor degree or equivalent
Education – Additional Comments:
- Essential: First university degree in Environmental, Civil or Sanitary Engineering, Toxicology, or in Environmental-related Science and a postgraduate degree in Public Health or a related field.
- Desirable: Post-graduate training or specialization in Public Health, Science/Engineering, Management, Chemical Safety, Health Education or Communication for Development.
Required experience:36 Months
- Essential: At least 3-5 years’ practical experience in implementing and managing programmes or conducting research on environmental and social determinants of health, of which at least three years were at the international level. Experience, ideally in developing countries, working with individuals and issues pertinent to environmental health protection projects, policies and/or monitoring, including with governmental bodies at global, regional and national level.
- Desirable: Experience developing technical guidance and tools for assessing effectiveness of health interventions and working knowledge of the use of databases and spreadsheets and statistical programmes. Experience with the UN System or WHO, ideally related to environmental health, and knowledge of national, regional and global partnerships and networks.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
- French(Optional), Level – Working Knowledge
Area of expertise:Other health related experience, Development programme management, Monitoring and evaluation
Area of expertise details:
- Other desired/mandatory required technical knowledge
- Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills;
- Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development;
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment;
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines.
This assignment is in the framework of the Africa Women Health Champions to improve health and gender equality initiative. African female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to apply
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First register your profile athttps://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup.
Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ athttps://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypageand click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First update your profile athttps://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile.
Then go to ‘My Page’ athttps://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypageand click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.