Organization:UN High Commissioner for Refugees
Brief project description:
UNHCR’s work in Ecuador started in 2000 as part of the organization’s strategy to protect and assist the victims of Colombian conflict. Along with UNHCR’s head office in Quito, a field office in the capital and in Guayaquil, UNHCR’s operation develops its border strategy thanks to the support of 3 more specific field offices: a Field Office in Sucumbios, in the eastern part of the Country; a Field Office in Esmeraldas, in the Pacific Coast, and a Field Office in Ibarra, Tulcán and Rumichaca, as part of the Andean Axis. These Field Offices are aimed at providing an efficient and flexible response to individual cases present at the Colombian and Ecuadorian border. Further, this structure allows UNHCR to better understand the needs of the people coming to Ecuador in search of international protection along with migratory flows. Indeed, it is through such understanding that UNHCR will be able to provide them with information and orientation, thus to tackle human smuggling and trafficking, and labor and/or sexual exploitation that are affecting individuals who usually cross the Rumichaca International Bridge to enter Ecuador.
UNHCR’s work carried out in Ecuador focuses on an age, gender and diversity approach. Such an approach has strengthened some of the state’s protection mechanisms, in order to improve the response provided to these vulnerable groups”
Duties and Responsibilities may include: Under the direct supervision of the Head of Office and the Protection Unit Coordinator, the intern will be asked to perform the following activities:
- Answers and responds to individual queries from asylum seekers and other persons of concern to UNHCR, regarding the asylum process and humanitarian assistance;
- Assists the Protection Unit with information sessions for people in need of international protection;
- Identification of cases with specific protection needs for the promotion of durable solutions;
- Supports the compilation/research of developments in the field of legislation, regulations and relevant country of origin information;
- Contributes to the prevention of refoulement or expulsion through trainings to local authorities;
- Systematizes information to monitor protection activities and procedures;
- Provides logistical support to the Protection Unit or other Units when and as necessary;
- Performs other duties as required.
- Spanish is indispensable for the post; proficiency in English is a requirement to perform duties
- Be a recent graduate (within one year) or current student in a graduate/undergraduate school programme from a university or higher education facility accredited by UNESCO and/or have completed at least two years of undergraduate studies in a field relevant of interest to the work of the Organization (Social Sciences, International Relations or related field);
- Minimal Period for the Internship will be of 5/6 months;
- Respect for diversity and capacity to work in stressful contexts;
- Capacity to adapt to the requirements of the operation and to be a good team player
- An individual whose father, mother, son, daughter, brother or sister is a staff member of UNHCR, including a Temporary Appointment holder or a member of the Affiliate Workforce, is not eligible for an internship;
- Interns of UNHCR will receive a Food and Local Transportation Allowance (FLTA). In order to take into account local circumstances, the amount of the FLTA will be the equivalent of 10% of the Daily Subsistence Allowance (DSA) of the duty station;
- Visa: You will be responsible for obtaining and financing the necessary visa (volunteer visa);
- Travel: You will arrange and finance your travel to the United Nations location where you will be an intern;
- Medical insurance: You will be responsible for costs arising from accidents and/or illness incurred during the internship and must show proof of a valid medical insurance coverage.
How to apply:
The application consists of the applicant’s Curriculum Vitae and an introductory letter, indicating their specific personal and professional interest for the internship.
Only those shortlisted shall be contacted and interviewed.
Applicants must send their application by email email@example.com. Applications close on14 October 2018.