Urgent Action Fund – Africa has announced a special call for proposals to conduct advocacy on Beijing +25 process.
Through this special call, UAF – Africa will be providing funding to women’s rights and gender non-conforming activists and groups to influence the Beijing +25 review process, content and outcomes with grants of up to USD 20,000 for up to nine months.
The purpose of this special call is to provide financial support to women’s organizations and gender non-conforming groups and activists to support sub-national/national/sub-regional convenings that will contribute to critical analysis and priority setting of the Beijing+25 process and outcomes.
Additionally, UAF-Africa will provide advocacy and alliance building grants to feminist activists and organisations to strengthen the communication and information sharing on the BPfA roadmap through holding online discussions, webinars, digital publications, social media campaigns and physical meetings, to share strategies and exchange knowledge.
During the post Generation Equality Forums (GEF) in Mexico and Paris in May and July 2020 respectively; and the UN General Assembly (UNGAS) in September 2020, UAF-Africa will support learning initiatives that will contribute to broader understanding of the outcomes of the meetings as well as planning on incorporating of those outcomes in local feminist agendas, strategies and national monitoring mechanisms.
Details about the BPFA +25 Grants
UAF – Africa believes in the power of women to activate change and therefore has created this special call to provide financial support to women’s rights organizations and gender non-conforming groups and activists in Africa.
This initiative will provide Rapid Response Grants and Advocacy and Alliance Building Grants to collectives/organisations working to:
- Enhance the capacity of women and gender non-conforming activists and groups to influence Beijing +25 processes, content, outcomes at national, regional and international levels by providing surge funding through rapid response and advocacy and alliance grants;
- Increase governments accountability to tangible commitments on gender equality and women’s rights by heightening the visibility of national priorities/ demands through campaigns, strategic communications and other advocacy activities;
- Promote commitments to strategic resourcing of women’s rights and gender equality work through strategic communications, campaigns and other advocacy activities;
- Build widespread understanding among feminist, women’s and marginalized constituencies on the outcomes of the Gender Equality Forums (Paris and Mexico) for effective local monitoring of post Beijing+25 commitments.Funding Information
UAF-Africa is offering two types of grants:
- Rapid- Response Grants (RRGs):Grant Amount: up to USD 12, 000.
Grant Period: The grant is for time-sensitive situations, and the activities should be carried out within 3 months.
- Advocacy and Alliance Building Grants:Grant Amount: up to USD 20, 000.
Grant Period: This grant is to support advocacy activities with policy makers, government leaders at all levels and traditional leaders to influence decision making regarding the implementation of policy and law.
These activities are more long-term and can take place within a 6-9 month period.
- Defending the Defenders
- Protecting women’s Individual Dignity,Safety and Autonomy
- Justice and the Rule of Law
- Economic Justice
- Natural Resource Governance & Climate Change.Eligibility Criteria
Women’s rights and gender non-conforming activists and groups that fit the following criteria:
- Based in Africa;
- Have a majority (at least 70%) of women members or staff/board with women holding positions of power and authority;
- Committed to pursuing women’s rights agenda and gender equality;
- The proposed project/initiative to be carried out within 3 months for Rapid Response Grants and 6 -9 months for Advocacy and Alliance Building Grants.Note: For-profit organisations, individuals, political parties or government bodies are NOT eligible for funding.
Apply by 31st December.