Organization: Project Concern International
*Please note, this position can be based in either San Diego or D.C.*
The Vice President, Marketing, Communications & Development will lead the design and execution of a comprehensive domestic and global communications, resource mobilization and marketing strategy to raise PCI’s visibility among our target audiences, attract and engage new donors, supporters, partners and employees, and advance PCI’s mission. S/he will lead efforts to promote PCI’s successes and thought leadership, and position PCI as one of the most effective, innovative and successful integrated development NGOs in the world.
This position will help shape PCI’s direction and lead efforts to develop the brand’s position as the leader in its market segment with coordinated communications, resource development, marketing and advocacy/government relations strategies. This strategy will influence and engage donors and potential donors (individuals, foundations, corporations, organizations, Capitol Hill, other NGOs and government agencies), and increase the reputation of and commitment to PCI both externally and internally.
Reporting to the CEO and serving on the executive leadership team, the Vice President, Marketing, Communications & Development will lead, mentor and support the work of vertical and cross team members and work closely with resource generation, program operations and management teams.
S/he will work closely with the CEO, the SVP Programs, VP Technical Leadership & Support, and the VP Global Human Resources to create a unified strategy to energize the organization’s approach to advocacy, communications, engagement and private and corporate fundraising. This role will lead both strategically, as well as engage significantly in operational activities.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the development, ongoing management, and evaluation of marketing initiatives to position PCI as the leader in our market segment(s) in consultation with the SVP, Programs, and VP of Programs & Managing, including:
- Synchronize our traditional and online donor (unrestricted, designated, and restricted) engagement, sponsorships, direct and database marketing, digital/social/internet branding, public relations, collateral/support materials, web site development and communications, and all forms of marketing presentations to increase donor acquisition, engagement and stewardship.
- Recognize new market opportunities and influence program development priorities
- Manage media strategy and direct media partners in the development, implementation, evaluation, and optimization of those strategies against target objectives
- Lead the development, ongoing management, and evaluation of PCI’s overall brand strategy (as well as within each technical intervention area) that enables our external and internal constituents to connect to our values, vision and mission
- Serve as the lead and support to the President & CEO on all advocacy, government relations, and policy activities
- Identify and/or design activities to promote PCI and its leadership with U.S. government decision makers
- Oversee PCI’s advocacy efforts within the INGO community
- Create and lead a cutting-edge communications strategy, including the development and implementation of a comprehensive communications plan to influence donors and all donor segments including individuals, foundations, organizations, Capitol Hill, other NGOs and government agencies by enhancing PCI’s awareness and reputation, and fostering understanding of and belief in PCI and our vision
- Create, manage and evaluate a cost-effective media strategy that achieves the overall marketing objectives
- Work with VP, Global HR to develop and execute a comprehensive internal communications strategy
- Drive a campaign to garner resources to support PCI’s new strategic plan
- Lead the design and implementation of new resource mobilization and partnership strategies to produce a best-in-class program of innovative and diversified funding streams
- Develop a broad range of resource mobilization and partnership strategies and mechanisms that allow PCI to significantly exceed its private and public resource development goals
- Expand private sector partnerships with corporations, family foundations, and other funders to support PCI’s programmatic priorities
- Reimagine PCI’s unrestricted revenue generation strategies in order to pave a path to a more financially resilient organization
- Lead and manage the Development and Marketing &Communications teams, ensuring clear goals and accountabilities are established and achieved. Ensure individuals have the resources to address performance and development needs, and employees are high performing and engaged. Produce systematic performance indicator reporting to track and report progress, roadblocks, and other relevant performance details
- Manage resource requirements (expenditure, human resource planning, etc.) necessary to deliver against objectives
- Participate in PCI’s innovation efforts and in teams on innovation initiatives
- Other duties as assigned
Accomplishments & Skills
Exceptional knowledge and skills in all aspects of communications, resource development and marketing, including:
- Thorough knowledge of marketing principles and brand management
- Record of setting ambitious partnership development goals that anticipate opportunities and prioritize high-ROI activities within an organization’s strategic planning process
- Experience designing communications, marketing and resource development strategies and work plans and inspiring, engaging, and mentoring a team in their effective execution
- Demonstrated ability to build long-term investing relationships with all private constituencies, including corporate partners, foundations and major donors
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills necessary to serve as a high-level ambassador for PCI
- Broad knowledge of all aspects of partnership development, including research, donor acquisition, prospect management, stewardship systems, and gift reporting
- Understanding of the principles and practices of market-based philanthropy, with experience designing and/or attracting investment in social impact funds
- Connections to corporate, foundation, and government donors interested in entrepreneurship, social impact investment, and/or international development
- History of successfully engaging Board members and senior leaders in resource development activities and fostering an organization-wide culture of philanthropy.
- Strong competency in media relations; familiarity with digital media preferred
- Experience and familiarity in advocacy and government relations
Essential Leadership Characteristics and Competencies
- Exceptional strategic thinking skills and the ability to translate these skills into operational plans
- Exceptional ability to lead and inspire staff to strive for increased achievement of PCI’s mission, vision and strategic objectives
- Exceptional ability to gain the trust of others and foster collaborative relationships. Proven ability to build collaborative, impactful relationships with a diverse group of internal and external stakeholders
- Exceptional problem-solving ability – both systematic and data based, and the ability to be creative and intuitive with a flair for thinking outside of the box
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree or commensurate experience preferred
- 15+ years’ well-rounded professional experience in communications, resource development, marketing and brand management in the private or NGO/philanthropic sector.
- Minimum of five years’ executive management experience required
- Demonstrated experience working on complex initiatives with internal resources and external agencies
- Track record of performance excellence, exceeding targets and objectives
- A passion for the mission and values of PCI