Our vision is of a world where no one is blind from avoidable causes and where visually impaired people participate equally in society. Each year, we improve the lives of millions of people in the poorest parts of the world. Sightsavers offers a great working environment.
Title: Visual Guide
Location: Accra, Ghana Contract: Fixed term until July 2022
Salary: Local Terms and Conditions apply
Sightsavers is committed to ensuring that our staff with disabilities have appropriate workplace accommodations and support that meet their personal requirements. We are looking for a Visual Guide to work with one of our staff with a visual impairment.
The Visual Guide will provide visual (both digital and non-digital) assistance and support to one of our Programme Advisors, based in Ghana in the course of their daily work, including travel outside of the home. This may include
· accompanying the employee to scheduled meetings within the city of Accra or beyond
· providing practical support during occasional wider-reaching travel including international trips (ranging from one day to up to a week)
· completing paperwork while the Programme Advisor is visiting partners or stakeholders in the Ghana Somubi Dwumadie programme
· keeping the Programme Advisor updated so he is aware of his immediate environment and prompted on changes
· providing personal emergency evacuation assistance from the Ghana Country Office in emergency situations.
· supporting travel planning in addition to reviewing, analysing and providing information on personal travel risks
· providing specialist accessibility including digital assistance
This is a busy and varied role, supporting the Programme Advisor and his vital contribution to the Ghana Somubi Dwumadie programme. The above is not an exhaustive list of responsibilities or experience requirements. For full details please read the job description
We anticipate that the successful applicant will have:
· a minimum of a secondary school leaving certificate.
· at least one year’s demonstrable experience as an assistant or aide to someone with a disability, preferably to someone who is blind.
· the ability to travel to any part of Accra and abroad within 48 hours’ notice.
· experience or interest in working with marginalized groups such as persons with disabilities.
· strong writing skills as well as excellent English oral communication skills.
To succeed in the role the successful applicant will also have:
· excellent writing skills and effective note taking ability.
· the ability to take initiative and work independently, with little supervision.
· basic knowledge of Microsoft Office applications such as Word (including using tracked changes), Excel spreadsheets, Outlook email and PowerPoint
· the ability to navigate websites and translate content into Word documents, as well as download PDF content and translate into Word documents.
We anticipate that remote interviews will take place in mid-December.
How to apply
Closing date: 4 December 2020