Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title : Senior Project Assistant (Construction Supervisor)
Duty Station : San Salvador
Classification : General Service Staff, G7
Type of Appointment : One Year Fixed Term
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : Dec 15th, 2020
Reference Code : VN2020/018 SV
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The IOM, created in 1951, is the main Intergovernmental Organization in the field of Migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM’s job is to ensure an orderly and humane management of migration; promote international cooperation on migration issues; help find practical solutions to migration problems: and offer humanitarian assistance to migrants who need it, whether they are refugees, displaced or uprooted people.
IOM is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive environment. The candidacy of women is strongly encouraged.
Under the general guidance of the Chief of Mission, the overall supervision of the Deputy Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of the Subregional Infrastructure Coordinator and the secondary supervision of the Reintegration Assistance to Potential and Returned Migrants Youth Project Coordinator, the incumbent will be responsible for supervising the implementation of construction projects in El Salvador, under the project Reintegration Assistance to Potential and Returned Migrants Youth Focused on Training and Entrepreneurship.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
• Monitor the implementation of construction projects in El Salvador, namely, the Community Small Scale Infrastructure and personnel assigned to field and/or technical works in relation to this activity.
• Work with Architects and Designers for the site adaptation plans, architectural designs, technical specifications and BoQs, ensuring works are duly carried out in a professional, sound and efficient manner
• Liaise with Government technical staff to attain necessary approvals/permits and for any technical assistance and reporting that may be required on the progress of the Construction Projects in El Salvador.
• In coordination with National Project Officer (Sub-Regional Infrastructure Officer), create accurate and concise weekly and monthly Construction Reports for Program for both external and internal use. Ensure that all reports, including donor reports and other supporting documents related to construction activities in El Salvador are accurate and submitted in a timely manner.
• Work in coordination with the technical experts, partners and contractor for the establishment of a system for monitoring and evaluating the quality of the construction works.
• Participate in the design of a system for planning the construction of all units and locations. This includes specific needs / use of space, construction and environmentally friendly practices. The system should factor in preparation of site plans, layout, plotting, cost estimations, Bill of Quantities (BoQs), budget analysis, land certificates and other legal requirements under the law of El Salvador, and where applicable, internationally accepted building codes.
• Monitor timely and effective execution of construction projects within the Area of Responsibility and in accordance with the work-plans.
• Coordinate with the Community Outreach team, the pertinent surveys, assessment of needs and feasibility analysis for the development of construction projects in El Salvador.
• Document the close-out inspection for reconstruction works including the relevant documentation is completed prior to handover and full payment of the contractor being made.
• Contribute to the preparation of the Construction Project’s Maintenance manuals, for the various sites intervened. In close coordination with the Construction Coordinator, develop general procedures and technical guidelines for the sustainability of the sites.
• Liaise with the Sub-Regional Infrastructure Officer and in coordination with Construction-Renewable Energy Especialist, identify opportunities and prepare proposals for consolidating and/or expanding the construction works Under the program “Reintegration Assistance to Potential and Returned Migrants Youth Focused on Training and Entrepreneurship”.
• In coordination with the Project Coordinator and the Sub-Regional Infrastructure Officer interface with local authorities concerning any problems generated during implementation of the project and represent IOM in relevant forums as requested.
• Serve as focal point and provide guidance to Project Assistants in other IOM Offices.
• From time to time, provide technical assistance to peers, architects and designers assigned to Reintegration Assistance to Potential and Returned Migrants Youth Focused on Training and Entrepreneurship Construction Unit, for facilitating trainings and workshops aiming at continuous improvements and coherence of regional migration assistance workflows, reception centres and related.
• Undertake other duties requested by Chief of Mission and Sub-regional Infrastructure Officer.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering is a mandatory requirement for this position with at least 5 years’ experience in infrastructure planning and construction, including at least one year of experience with an International Organization and familiarity with international and local building codes.
• Knowledge of construction reporting (narrative, infographic and budget) for different stakeholders. Good drafting ability and communication skills, both oral and written to produce reports.
• Ability to manage staff, plan and organize workflows; ability to establish priorities and undertake assigned tasks with minimum supervision.
• Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
• Able to work independently covering multiple site locations in the field and provide results in short timeframes.
• Undertake frequent project related travels to the base office.
• Able to work during weekends and overtime.
• A Knowledge of architectural software REVIT, AUTOCAD CIVIL 3D an advantage
• Knowledge of Project Management programs OPUS 16,PRIMAVERA, Diploma in Project Management (PMI Methodologies)
• AutoCAD, Advance Microsoft Office, Advance Microsoft Project
• Cultural and gender sensitivity;
• Experience in liaising with resettlement partners, international organizations, and health services providers is an advantage
Fluency in Spanish and English (oral and written)
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
• Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
• Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
How to apply
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested internal candidates are invited to submit their applications by completing and sending the Internal Application Form (form attached), a letter of interest, and a CV to the following e-mail address: email@example.com by December 15tht,2020 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. Personal History Form optional.
External Candidates that comply with the profile will need to send the Resume and a letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 15th,2020 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
• The motivation/cover letter should be a maximum of 1 page long and in English. It should state the position(s) you are applying for
• The CV should be a maximum of 2 pages long and in English.
KEEP IN MIND:
• Only the applications that comply with the required profile will be taken into consideration.
• Those applications received after the due date or the ones that don’t include the name of the position, will not be considered.
• This vacancy is open for local staff or international staff with legal permit to work in the Country.
• The attachment shouldn’t weight over 2 MB.