Organization: Relief International
Position: WASH Technical Director
Location: Washington, D.C. London or regional office posting Asia, Africa or Middle East with travel to Asia, Africa and Middle East; Must be able to travel easily among Relief International Countries
Reports to: Senior Vice President, Technical Assistance Department
About RI: Relief International (RI) is a leading global humanitarian organization and home to teams of humanitarian activist-professionals committed to transforming adversity into renewal for the world’s most vulnerable populations. By partnering with beneficiaries and communities on the front-lines, RI innovatively bridges the gap between immediate relief and long-term community development. RI works in four key sectors Economic Opportunities, Education, Health, and WASH.
Position Summary: RI is looking to expand its WASH programming in emergency, protracted relief and recovery, and development settings in the Middle East, Africa, and Asia. The main focus of the WASH Technical Lead will focus on program design (including work in supporting new business development); technical advising during program implementation (including on activities and M&E); and facilitating learning within the organization from lessons learned on RI projects and best practices within the health sector globally.
Areas of Expertise:
RI wishes to identify a WASH Technical Lead with demonstrated experience and expertise in:
- WASH program design and new business development, most notably for the European Union (EU), DFID, the United States Government, including USAID, and UN Agencies including UNICEF, and UNHCR
- Design and implementation of WASH programs in fragile states and for local populations, refugee and IDP populations; expertise in rural and urban WASH issues required
- Technical writing for WASH proposals, M&E design, program reports, and strategic global planning to expand WASH portfolio
- Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning in WASH programming
- Working through and with host-country government WASH services, standards, and requirements including applicable local ministries
- Designing and performing needs and beneficiary assessments and overall M&E plans for projects
- WASH programming in emergency, protracted crisis, and development settings in the following types of activities:
- Hygiene campaigns to control and decrease disease outbreaks
- Water and sanitation services and infrastructure assessments and delivery
- Water and Sanitation community-led management
- Assessment of WASH demand and supply
- Coordination with all WASH stakeholders including the private sector
- Coordination with the communities throughout the project life cycle
- Promotion of key hygiene behavior
- Development and rehabilitation of infrastructure
- WASH Capacity building and training
- Providing thought leadership in leading WASH networks
Qualifications & Requirements:
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in demanding and often difficult environments.
- Master’s degree in engineering and a background in environmental science, business management concerning water and sanitation, or similar field.
- Minimum of 10 years professional experience in the WASH sector working on donor-funded projects; with a minimum of five years in fragile states
- Minimum 7 years experience in the WASH sector supporting project teams on full project cycle technical needs (design, implementation, M&E, and lessons learned), experience in emergency or protracted crises setting required with EU and USAID experience preferred
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, deadlines, tasks efficiently in high-stress environments
- Excellent writing skills
- Speaking and writing fluency in English is required, language fluency in additional languages is preferred
- Excellent time management skills, resourcefulness, with strong attention to detail
- Ability to work virtually with team members spread out around the world
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to think critically and creatively and work in a dynamic environment, juggling multiple tasks
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation