Internal/ External Vacancy Notice
The Iraq Delegation of International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) in Najaf
invites qualified candidates to apply for the following vacancy:
Position: WEC Field Officer
Duration of Contract: One year fixed term contract (with the possibility of renewal)
Location: Iraq – Najaf Sub-Delegation
Date of Issue: 27 January 2021
Deadline for applications: 17 February 2021
The ICRC is a neutral, impartial and independent organization, which has been working in Iraq for 40 years. Its exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect, and assist affected by armed conflict and other situation of violence to provide them with assistance. The ICRC endeavors to alleviate suffering by promoting and strengthening Inter-National Humanitarian Law and universal humanitarian principles.
The Weapon Contamination (WeC) Field Officer implements directly or supports the implementation and monitoring of ICRC WeC activities. S/he contributes directly to ensuring staff safety and the continuation of critical operations, helping vulnerable people and supporting National Societies in situations where weapon contamination poses a hazard.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
S/he will responsible for Staff Safety, WEC Assessment, Operation continuity, Risk Awareness and Safer Behaviours activities
- Complies with international and organizational standards (framework, tools and procedures) relative to the WEC
- Assist in and conduct assessments on the extent and the type of the weapon contamination threat and develop/implement relevant to mine action activities to prevent incidents among civilian population
- Contributes towards compiling and following up the monitoring and information management tools (data collection, processing, analysis, interpretation and dissemination).
- Runs direct awareness-raising sessions with identified target groups
- Runs training sessions with the project’s target groups
- Runs follow-up and supports activities
- Contributes towards reporting on activities
- Promote the understanding and implementation of the Movement Strategy on Landmines, Cluster Munitions and other Explosive Remnants of War and the Preventive Mine Action Operations Framework.
- Trains IRCS team leaders and key volunteers in methods, approaches, tools and techniques mandatory for the implementation of activities.
- Conduct weapon contamination safety briefings for the ICRC and Movement employees working in the affected areas
- Conduct WEC Assessment/Non-technical survey
- Liaise and maintain contacts with other mine action actors working in the respective AoR.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Relevant degree from a university or technical college.
- Very good command of written and spoken English.
- Excellent computer skills.
- At least 3 years overall professional experience
- 2 years’ work experience in WeC/mine action or a similar field.
- Academically or professionally proficient in a technical WeC-related subject or pedagogics.
- Previous experience with other humanitarian agency desired
- Good knowledge of the geographic area assigned.
- Excellent teaching and presentation skills.
ICRC Remuneration and Social Benefits: We offer
- A monthly salary with benefits including (13th salary, medical coverage, training opportunities and social security scheme)
- The opportunity to practice your profession in an international, humanitarian and multicultural environment
- Support you through ongoing learning and development opportunities
The successful candidate will submit to a three month probation period.
- Interested candidates should forward the following to (email@example.com).
- Updated Curriculum Vitae
- A cover letter stating why you think you have the necessary skills and qualifications
- Salary expectations
Please indicate the post title you are applying for. Applications will only be accepted with valid residency and work permit in Iraq.
Due to the large number of inquiries we receive, only candidates who have met the required experience & qualifications for this position will be contacted immediately.
As ICRC, we are convinced that diversity makes us better at what we do: it enables us to form close relationships with wide-ranging communities and develop the best solutions for the people we work with. We make a conscious effort to have diverse teams with regards to age, disability, race, ethnicity, religion and sexual orientation and particularly in terms of gender as women make up more than 20 % of our staff and are encouraged to apply. _________________________________________________________________________________________
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of war and internal violence and provide them with assistance. Please visit our website for further information: www.icrc.org
ICRC DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS INCLUDING (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, OR PROCESSING).