Team Summary:** In Yemen Search has been operational since 2010, and continued programming throughout the most recent conflict. Currently implementing seven multi-donor projects in over 29 districts in seven governorates across Yemen, with over 60 staff members.
Title: Finance Director
Reports to: Country Director, Yemen
- Provide leadership to the Search-Yemen Finance team of 12 staff members in two offices.
- Focus on overall financial management, accounting, budgeting and compliance while implementing a large Yemen Multi-donor program
- Perform contributions as a member of the Senior Management Team and will take the lead in assuring the quality management of multi-donor funded grants/contracts from inception to closure
- Capacity building with a focus on ensuring both programming and operations staff improve understanding of different finance mechanisms and compliance and adhere to donor regulations related to reporting, invoicing, and asset management and purchasing.
- Ensure that the financial transactions are recorded on a timely basis, and that these are accurate, complete and reliable.
- Ensure monthly accounting closing is done on time and following Search’s financial procedures.
- Supervising all balance sheet account reconciliations are done on a timely basis.
- Monitor Cash flows where funds are channeled from the Country Office.
- Ensure Securing supporting documentation and monthly procedures are being followed by the Finance Staff across Yemen Offices.
- Ensure due diligence is conducted for all new and existing sub awardees and that financial management capacity building plans are incorporated in partner budgets and capacity building is ensured.
- Ensure that partners keep supporting documents for all financial transactions and ledgers for Fixed Assets, Purchase Requisitions, Cash Receipts and Disbursement.
- Prepare payment requests to HQ and donor advance requests (as required) and track payment of these requests;
- Review budgets with actual reports to ensure adherence to restrictions online item flexibility and stated restrictions on accepted costs.
- Ensure BVA meetings are regularly conducted and support follow up actions to resolve any identified problems, including under and overspending.
- Lead Annual Budgeting and Revenue Projection Process for Country Program.
Grants Management and Compliance:
- Ensure that all donor financial reports are prepared according to the donor requirements and templates and submitted on time.
- Oversee and monitor closely the program grants implementation to secure a compliant implementation during all grant’s steps.
- Consolidate and update a monthly and quarterly operational budget matrix, prepare financial analysis and provide the country director with a clear vision of the financial situation.
- Develop budgets for new proposals in line with donor regulations and revise current budgets to ensure alignment with actual costs and operational needs.
- Ensure costs are allocated according to Search’s cost shared methodology and contribute to adapt the Head Office requirements to Country office finances.
- Elaborate, review and update Finance Standard Operating Procedures for the country program.
- Ensure proper financial procedures and systems are operated and maintained as per donor and Search internal requirements.
- Facilitate any external and internal audits and ensure timely closure of finance audit recommendations, participate in preparation, implementation and monitoring of corrective action plans.
- Support timely agreement/contract development, review, both with donors and partners, ensuring adherence to both Search and donor requirements.
- Support Project Managers in grants start up and grants close out plans to ensure financial and budgetary requirements are in line with Search and donor requirements.
- Ensure adherence to segregation of duties and record keeping as per donor and Search internal requirements;
- Work with Heads of Programs, Project Managers and Head of Operations and other relevant staff to ensure adequate finance management support and smooth working environment.
- Other duties that are broadly in line with the above key contributions as assigned by the supervisor.
Competency Behavior Indicators (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
- Manages overall strategy and vision. Provides functional and program/project management. Anticipates and plans for needs and takes action accordingly. Provides guidance to direct reports or matrixed team members.
- Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with vendors, organizations, professional associations, partners, funders, and Search’s network of experts critical to the area of purview.
- Modifies a planned course of action in response to new information or new circumstances.
- Responds to changing circumstances and expectations readily.
- Articulates Search/function program/project goals and objectives within and external to Search. Develops program objectives that reflect broader Search strategies and approaches.
- Creates standards across functions globally within Shared Services teams and with a view from a multicultural perspective that reflects consideration of other cultures, other viewpoints, and other ways of doing things.
- Overcomes obstacles using ethical practices; formulates and evaluates morally and ethically justified solutions.
- Assesses risks and opportunities to lead decision makers to a favorable outcome.
- Checks the accuracy of one’s own and others’ work and sets up systematic checks and balances to support content and data integrity.
- Has knowledge of project management tools including technology as resources for efficiency and reduction of stress.
- Works with employees to set and communicate performance standards that are specific and measurable.
- Anticipates the consequences of situations and plans accordingly.
- Analyzes the costs, benefits, risks, and chances for success in making a decision.
- Provides coaching and mentoring to staff.
Type and Nature of Contacts:
- Routinely coordinates with colleagues and consultants on-site and in the field and resolves problem situations with tact.
- Represents, as assigned, selected programs or projects and other organizations, including donors, vendors, and international and local partners, such as EU, FCDO/DFID, US, Canadian government funds.
- Interacts with country office and regional staff.Education and Experience:
- Typically BS/BA with minimum 13 years’ experience. Master’s degree in finance, business administration or accounting preferred
- Minimum seven years relevant work experience with International non-profits.
- Must have demonstrated experience working in resource constrained countries.
- Professional qualification in accounting (ACCA, CPA or equivalent)
- Experience preparing for internal audits and implementing audit recommendations.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and strengthen accountable working relations of finance team with other teams within organization i.e. programs, HR, operations, M&E etc.
- Proven ability to be an effective supervisor of staff of varying levels of responsibility and good delegation skills.
- Proven ability in financial planning and developing budgets for new business.
- Excellent command of spoken and written English, excellent communication, coaching and facilitation skills.
- Mastery of Excel and online accounting software. Experience of using Sage INTACCT is preferred.
- Self-guided, strong organizational and planning skills and ability to work independently and under pressure
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and willing to take on tasks on short notices and able to meet deadlines.
- Maintain professionalism, creativity, and enthusiasm while working in a fast-paced, multi-cultural environment.
- Experience of working in a fragile and risky context like Yemen will be an added value.
- The position is Open for both Yemeni nationals and international candidates.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Conflict country with fragile working environment; ability to potentially travel within the country and internationally at least 25%.
- Director Finance is Yemen Senior Management Team (SMT) member with supervisory responsibility of about 2-3 Senior Finance Team Members.
How to apply
Deadline: November 23 2020 – please note due to urgency the interviews will be done on a rolling basis. Interested candidates are advised to apply as early as possible. Please apply here.
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.