- December 24, 2021
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
NRC believes in a world where the rights of displaced and vulnerable persons are protected during a crisis. We do this through our programmes, where we provide assistance to meet immediate humanitarian needs, prevent further displacement and contribute to durable solutions. At the root of our programmes are our solid technical expertise and specific sectorial knowledge aiming for the highest possible quality, whether in stand-alone or integrated approaches.
In 2020, NRC created the Centre of Excellence for Data and Analytics (CoE) to promote and support data use across the organisation, including building capacity, processes and products. The CoE team is responsible for designing and developing data products that improve the organisation’s use of data while increasing data quality and access to common data sets.
With the growing number of business systems across NRC, there is a need to streamline how data and analytics are performed across NRC units to utilize relevant and quality data for their operational decision-making. The CoE is tasked with helping the organisation achieve this goal by working on Data Products (internal and external reporting initiatives), improving data literacy and working on data governance through the adoption of data standards.
Are you looking for an organisation that will allow you to directly affect the lives of millions of people by utilising your technical skills in data analysis to improve how we deliver our programs?
Great! Please read on..
What you will do
As part of the CoE, you will be responsible for designing and building the pipelines for organisational data products and contribute to a major shift in how NRC staff interacts and values data. You will also help the CoE deliver short- and long-term data initiatives that help the organisation improve the use of data in decision-making. You will support the Product lead in working with other NRC departments and offices to help them scope their data needs, while identifying opportunities for the organisation to standardize and consolidate data workflows. Some of your day-to-day tasks will include;
- Review technical requirements, validate assumptions, and test prototypes during development of the prioritized projects;
- Build and maintain several internal data services that will be used across the data product pipeline. This includes integration with business systems and the creation of a data repository for unified analytics;
- Prepare technical documentation to ensure ease of handover of any data product once these are “in production”;
- Create unit test plans; contribute to functional/UAT test plans as needed;
- Research, identify, and evaluate tools, platforms suitable to meet requirements and in line with NRC’s tech stack, and ecosystem;
- Provide technical oversight of external consultants’ work that includes custom design and assist in handover of these to NRC (to ensure long-term ownership).
What you will bring
- 2+ years of experience shipping and maintaining code in production;
- Solid knowledge of programming in Go, Python, fundamentals of API design and security, familiarity with basic DevOps is a plus;
- In-depth knowledge and comfortable working with relational databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL) and NoSQL databases (MongoDB) including building, optimizing, debugging, and creating queries and safe migration scripts;
- A basic understanding of a managed Kubernetes service like AKS or any other cloud provider and experience with modern deploy stack (I.e. Docker, Kubernetes);
- Familiarity in working with enterprise information systems in general, and especially ERP and CRM, are desirable;
- Ability to write sufficient and easy-to-understand technical documentation;
- Comfortable with presenting technical information to a non-technical audience;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, comfortable working with a geographically distributed team, and can easily work with non-technical colleagues;
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Other languages are an asset
What makes this position attractive?
- A challenging and exciting opportunity with an international team dedicated to advocating for the rights of people forced to flee;
- A chance to lead and direct our efforts towards a major shift in how NRC staff interacts and values data;
- An 18-month full-time contract (which may be extended) with Berlin as the preferred duty station but we are also open to considering other duty stations where NRC has an office;
- Salary and benefits according to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions in the location of employment.
We are also looking for people who share our values:
- To be dedicated in what we do;
- To be innovative with our solutions;
- To act as one unified and inclusive team;
- To be accountable to the donors that make our work possible; the beneficiaries that we exist to serve; and to each other… the members of our NRC family.
How to apply
To submit your application…please click here